/

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we win the Europa league + League Cup (and finish 7th or lower in PL)...

• Sack Jose!

• Keep Jose, and buy him some better defenders!

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s amazing anyone thinks any of the Big 6 could get relegated (barring a huge financial problem aka Leeds). It’s just media talking points

These teams have way too much talent to be in the bottom 3 after 38 games.

As much as I wanted Woolwich to get relegated, anyone who thought they’d actually get relegated is not living in reality.
Didnt say we'd get relegated

Totally depends how well he does in the last bit of the year. If he wins a trophy I think he stays. If he doesn't win trophies but get into the top 4 I think he stays too. I think that if GLC comes back and we start playing well again, that may be enough to buy him another year.
He's got to miss everything to get sacked.

So playing well/ or attractive football week in week out in the league is better than winning a cup?
We’ve reached this bizarre point where some fans are now happy to be pretty but win fuck all

Been there done that and none of them were happy though

People dislike Jose’s football.....sometimes.....but like yesterday, they cream their pants so claim it was the first time they’ve seen it, despite creaming their pants the other week v Everton and Leeds etc etc etc

Then there are the times we have played counter attack to perfection and won, which are also swept under the carpet.

Jose has been 50/50 not 0 out of 10, and the cup runs we are in give him extra points in my book. And that’s why they now belittle these trophies, because apparently big old Tottenham are above a cup double.

It’s better to be like Leeds or Southampton where everyone says “awwwww look how good they look trying”

We’ve reached this bizarre point where some fans are now happy to be pretty but win fuck all

Been there done that and none of them were happy though

People dislike Jose’s football.....sometimes.....but like yesterday, they cream their pants so claim it was the first time they’ve seen it, despite creaming their pants the other week v Everton and Leeds etc etc etc

Then there are the times we have played counter attack to perfection and won, which are also swept under the carpet.

Jose has been 50/50 not 0 out of 10, and the cup runs we are in give him extra points in my book. And that’s why they now belittle these trophies, because apparently big old Tottenham are above a cup double.

It’s better to be like Leeds or Southampton where everyone says “awwwww look how good they look trying”

Whilst I agree with what you wrote, I think you are over thinking it and using logic where none exists. The agenda of the week isn't so much as Pro Spurs but Anti Jose.

In their mind they see Jose as so detrimental to Spurs, that they are ok with us losing in order for him to get the sack. To them that means they are pro Spurs so you bringing up facts isn't going to do much to them because b-b-b-but Jose.

Us winning a major honour will be derided by "fans" if it comes under Jose. They'll stand shoulder to shoulder with dippers and gooners to play down the "milk cup".

Us winning a major honour will be derided by "fans" if it comes under Jose. They'll stand shoulder to shoulder with dippers and gooners to play down the "milk cup".
And this is the most disturbing aspect of it.

Will be awkward for them if we see a tearful and proud Harry lifting a trophy while they sit there and claim losing to Liverpool meant more

For the record I think he should be fired now, but if he is given the chance to stay and ends up winning both trophies it would be insane to sack him. Plus if you win the Europa wouldn't you want Jose for the Super Cup?

Outside of Bill Nicholson has any Spurs manager had a better trophy haul in a single season?

For the record I think he should be fired now, but if he is given the chance to stay and ends up winning both trophies it would be insane to sack him. Plus if you win the Europa wouldn't you want Jose for the Super Cup?

Outside of Bill Nicholson has any Spurs manager had a better trophy haul in a single season?

For such a massive huge football club, you'd think we'd have won 2+ trophies in one season more than once.

So I voted keep in this scenario. However, here is my concern and why I value the league.

The league is 38 games and the level of competition is equal for each team. It is a long drawn out season and it reflects the ups and downs in form throughout the entire season.

Europa is 15 games. 6 of those are group stage games which aren't relevant if you are a halfway decent team.

You might have 6-7 games in the knockout stage against halfway decent competition. United won this cup with Jose in 2016/17 by playing Saint Etienne, Rostov, Anderlecht, and Celta Vigo (and needed a last minute flubbed shot) in the knockouts, and a young Ajax team (with Davinson Sanchez) in the final.

So unless you are counting Dinamo Zagreb, we have yet to play a decent team and will be through to the last 8. (No, I'm not counting Antwerp who lost to Rangers 9-5) Winning a few matches vs decent teams is good but it tells you nowhere near as much about a team as a 38 game season does.

I want sustainable success; not a flash in the pan, and league performance is a more realistic indicator than a europa league trophy, so if we finish 10th it would be concerning.

If we can get Nagelsmann then Jose should be gone in the summer regardless of outcome.

Jose was hired to do one thing - win trophies. If he wins trophies then gets a nice £30m severance check this summer, everyone wins: Jose can say he won trophies at Spurs, Spurs win trophies, get Nagelsmann AND don't have to deal with the inevitable Mourinho fallout.

It's a win-win.
Hire him, then get him to an orthodontist and a London tailor immediately.

So I voted keep in this scenario. However, here is my concern and why I value the league.

The league is 38 games and the level of competition is equal for each team. It is a long drawn out season and it reflects the ups and downs in form throughout the entire season.

Europa is 15 games. 6 of those are group stage games which aren't relevant if you are a halfway decent team.

You might have 6-7 games in the knockout stage against halfway decent competition. United won this cup with Jose in 2016/17 by playing Saint Etienne, Rostov, Anderlecht, and Celta Vigo (and needed a last minute flubbed shot) in the knockouts, and a young Ajax team (with Davinson Sanchez) in the final.

So unless you are counting Dinamo Zagreb, we have yet to play a decent team and will be through to the last 8. (No, I'm not counting Antwerp who lost to Rangers 9-5) Winning a few matches vs decent teams is good but it tells you nowhere near as much about a team as a 38 game season does.

I want sustainable success; not a flash in the pan, and league performance is a more realistic indicator than a europa league trophy, so if we finish 10th it would be concerning.

So you’d be more concerned by finishing 10th and winning trophies than being billed as having one of the best teams and manager in Europe, while celebrating 4th spot and throwing cups out the window?

And correct me if I’m wrong, while you slag off the competition in the EL, wasn’t Burnley one of the worst teams we’ve ever faced the other day? It was still nice to play well though wasn’t it.
Wolfsberger were actually better.
Plus there’s EL teams, LA Liga and Serie A sides in the cup, who at some point you need to beat.

We have City, the best team in the world in a final soon. How’s that for a tester of where we are?
But people still calling it worthless because we only faced one PL team on the way.

I don’t get this idea we need a marker of where we are, and that can only be done in the PL, by playing maybe ten teams a season that are no better than what we’ve faced in the EL or Carabou.

We know what we are. A talented team, with some excellent players, some average players and some poor players.
Unbeatable on our day, atrocious off it.

The only marker I need to know is have we grown a winners mentality yet, and coming 4th doesn’t answer that.
Winning trophies will.

What have we go to show for all the great league places? Nothing at all.
4 seasons of playing Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Juventus, and getting some kind of result against most of them.
A champions league final.

What have we got for winning the league cup? It means nothing. If we fluke a win against City next month and finish 9th we'll all forget we won it. It won't matter.
We won't go into the transfer market and sign Dybala and the worlds best CB beceause we get to parade a league cup in our cabinet. It's fucking embarassing.

4 seasons of playing Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Juventus, and getting some kind of result against most of them.
A champions league final.
But no trophy.
What have we got for winning the league cup? It means nothing. If we fluke a win against City next month and finish 9th we'll all forget we won it. It won't matter.
We won't go into the transfer market and sign Dybala and the worlds best CB beceause we get to parade a league cup in our cabinet. It's fucking embarassing.
well we won't sign them anyway as our previous champions league run as showed. You get a trophy and entry into the Europa cup. Why are we above the league cup, I dont understand. We've won the league only twice.
What did we get for playing all the clubs above?

Back
Top Bottom