Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'ma just say it...

He's been the player of the season so far. Not just for Spurs, but throughout the League.

He has been in the talks for MOTM for near on every game. Hasn't been missing in any like, say, Costa and Hazard last night.

A left back won't get the plaudits but he is one of the most incredible players.

Who the fuck would have said that 5 years ago?

images

Sell Danny Rose? We should be building a fucking statue of Danny Rose, his change in form embodies the Poch era more than any player, a laughing stock when he got that contract, now look

Yes, but considering most of our "superstars " are home grown or signed for miniscule fees, you would think the club would be able to offer top dollar wages if that's what it takes to keep them. Take Harry Kane for example. There are clubs that would probably be prepared to pay upwards of 80million for him AND double his wages. We paid fuck all for him, so surely we could afford to pay him what his current market value suggests he deserves. We are a big club after all.

I see the press is getting to you again. The pressure is mounting, waking up in cold sweats, unable to sleep, heart pounding, blood pressure rising to bursting point. Everyday a new story linking a player away, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. Pay the wages, pay the fees, pay more!!

We do pay higher wages, we do give our players more money, no other club does as much work with its existing squad than Tottenham do in rewarding new contracts. A new contract means more money.

Harry-Kane-Signs-New-Contract-at-Tottenham-Hotspur.jpg

lloris.png

Jan-Vertonghen-Signs-New-Contract-With-Tottenham-Hotspur.jpg

crrc8-7weaantyc_resize_20160906_165843.jpg

Spurs-photoshop-8.jpg

3216.jpg

3890A02100000578-3798004-Dele_Alli_poses_with_Mauricio_Pochettino_after_signing_a_new_con-a-18_1474367873457.jpg

3849343100000578-0-image-a-9_1473755422191.jpg

michel-vorm-poses-with-mauricio-pochettino-after-signing-a-new-with-picture-id630457542

Harry%20Winks%20made%20a%20step%20up%20from%20the%20Spurs%20academy%20when%20he%20signed%20a%20new%20five-year%20deal.jpg

dannyrose2209.jpg

389A27B800000578-0-Pochettino_wore_a_rather_straight_face_when_Moussa_Dembele_renew-m-43_1474540036215.jpg

kylewalker2309.jpg

ben_contract730.jpg

Vincent-Janssen-of-Spurs.jpg

onomah_contract730x475.jpg

wimmer_contract_730a.jpg

cameroncartervickers.jpg

Have a bit of faith yeah, take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Look at what we do, what we have done. Who's policy is working? Who's policy is getting the best from the team? Who's policy keeps the squad focused on improving and striving for more? Who's policy doesn't over pay footballers sitting on the bench producing fuck all for themselves and the club? Who's policy motivates it's players? Ours does!

Only two players have left the club that we wanted to keep, TWO players in a decade and they left to go the largest football club in the world, not a rival team. With one of them a World record fee and that was FOUR years ago when we were not challenging for titles. (Man U have lost THREE in less time than us Di Maria, Falcao, Ronaldo, why aren't they known as a selling club?).

Have I missed something? Have we sold a player yet? The Walker to City move, why has this not been announced? It was a done deal 2 months ago but nothing announced yet, actually the talk is that they are now turning their attentions to Belerin as an alternative! Why? We're told that deal is done, he's had his leaving party.

Relax, we've got this. We know what we are doing. History shows we don't sell our best players to our rivals, if we do lose a player then they will go for a world record fees and we will crush their balls in the process. Our policy has got us here, where we are now. Our policy has turned us into a title challenging team, a team that has got all the biggest clubs raging. There fans are rattled, their fans are talking about us constantly. These clubs are shitting themselves about us. Why are you shitting yourself about them? These clubs are behind us, they have all the catching up to do.

Last edited:
Out of all of our player Poch improved Rose the most. Under AVB he was always in no-mans land, never tracking back and leaving Verts to cover the entire left side. He was often our worst player in a mainly mediocre team (Bale excepted).

It was a very typical discussion as to who would replace Rose and I remember the relief when we signed Davies ('a proper left back' I think was one quote at the time) and whether or not Rose was up to our level and would be moved on.

Many including myself wanted Luke Shaw who was outstanding under Poch, the best left back in the PL and wanted by a host of clubs including us.

Instead Poch pulled off a miracle with Rose, he was always pretty decent in attack but now seemed to understand what a left back should do and his work rate skyrocketed. Credit has to be given to Rose who knuckled down but of all our players he was Poch's most remarkable transformation.

This interview is a disappointment but I feel sorry mostly not for us the fans but for Poch, it's a big slap in the face.

I remember back in 2007, Tottenham signed a young lad from Leeds. No I'd never heard of him either, in fact I had to 'Google' him.
When he was going nowhere, and on loan at Sunderland he went on their end of season do and missed his flight home in the morning.I'm sure the two weren't connected, but he was then turned into England's left back by Pochettino, and given the best of facilities during injuries.
I would suggest then, that you do not denigrate a club like that, especially when you haven't kicked a ball since January.
Still maybe we should have signed a 'World Class' left Back in 2007. That good enough for you, Danny?

I'm of the opinion like a few brought up earlier in that if we sell Rose after this whole debacle (which is exactly what he wants), then it basically tells the players that contracts don't mean shit and players can walk all over us if they want to. Hopefully we tell him absolutely not you're not going anywhere. If he accepts it and plays like a stud then great, if not then show him what happens when you renege on your contract, play him with the U21s and see how he likes it when he's not picked for the WC squad.

To moan about only being on £65k a week when there are people feeding there families from food banks takes a special kind of cunt! :dembelefingers:

Why should he apologise? he is just letting us know what we all suspected (well all of us who know anything about Spurs and football in general).

That unless we are willing to change our attitude to financing the club we will never succeed because:

We will never attract world class players;
Our best players will be tempted by better offers;
We are happy to sell to our rivals.

Its out there now and once it is universally accepted we can try and find a solution.

Levy should be apologising to us....not Rose.
The fact that some people are siding with Rose and not the club and blaming Levy shows that you are truly, objectively, and beyond a shadow of a doubt 100% Grade-A cunts.

I'm not talking about people that want signings, or are concerned about depth - these are reasonable requests and I can understand the frustration! I don't even think Rose should be tarred and feathered like most of the board, but his actions were incredibly selfish and counterproductive.

But no, this is all Levy's fault, right?

Fuck off. Fuck off forever.

:dembelefingers::pochbye:

This one's really got me. Before last summer Rose was my favourite player. I saw him turn out for Bristol City on loan a couple of years before the goal against Woolwich and he was shit. Proper shit. Weak, lacking in technique and just generally shit. To see him turn into the rampaging, tenacious little ball of fury and anger stampeding down the left in the 2 seasons before last was incredible. I felt he embodied our shift in culture under Pochettino. I've even got an old pair of his signed boots upstairs.

Last summer changed all that. Danny, outwardly who seemed to represent the collective at Spurs, made a decision that had the potential to threaten all that. It reinforced a media shtick and probably gave creedance to the advice being given, and listened to, by players like Toby. It was a totally selfish act, and as fans of the club we reacted the way we should. Support on the pitch, but acknowledge that a bridge had been burned.

Fast forward another 12 months to another interview and I'm not sure the motivations for Danny have drastically changed. It is so important young men talk about mental health. We've taken great strides in removing the stigma around it in recent years. When I was first treated for depression I was handed a bottle of pills and told it would be ok. A few years later when being treated for anxiety I underwent CBT and was asked how I was, in 17 different ways. The point is, any mainstream exposure to the prevalence and 'normality' of mental health issues is good. Especially eminating from an environment that doesn't cultivate an empathetic culture.

My problem lies with the fact that Danny didn't do this interview to help aid an understanding of mental health issues, or even to give context to issues last season. He did this interview to widen the gap even further between him and his club. I recognise the stage Danny finds himself in, I spent a lot of my life pointing the finger at everyone but myself and when the blackness is so consuming it can be difficult to do otherwise. The difference being - I was 18 and in and out of jobs and Danny is 28 and has all the support and infrastructure around him one could need. I'd hate to come across as dismissive of depression who are outwardly successful in life, however I do not accept that a man with the resources that Rose has, would feel that going to a newspaper before speaking to his parents, club medical team, teammates or friends would be the best course of action if it were not for an alterior motive.

I have slated Danny for some of his comments, but this doesn't bother me in the least.

Not an honour to play at Wembley - Not "Not an Honour to play for Spurs"

Itching to get to new stadium

we have to stick together.

All good stuff, he hasn't slated Spurs or the fans in any way and he's only saying what we all think.

“It’s no coincidence that every day you read Real Madrid want him or United want him,” said left-back Rose. “It’s exactly what he deserves.

“What he has done here in the last four or five years has been amazing. Not only for myself, but the club. He has transformed how others think of us outside the club and he has transformed how we think of ourselves, and how we approach big games.

“The belief he gives everybody is just amazing. For example, Kyle Walker-Peters made a mistake in Barcelona, but that will not affect what the manager thinks of him. He will stick with Kyle no matter what. That’s the sort of man he is, once you win his trust it will take an awful lot to break that. He has been amazing for myself and this club, and we hope he is here for a very long time".

“It’s no secret all the teams have spent a lot more than what we have. The manager, or the club, did not make any signings in the summer and he is probably not going to make any signings in January.”

Asked why he believes Spurs will not sign anybody in the January transfer window, Rose added: “Well, I’ve not heard anything, so I am guessing. For him (Pochettino) to do what he has done and what he is doing now speaks volumes of him. Like I said, it’s no coincidence big teams are being linked with him and we hope he stays for a really long time.”

“We’ve gone to Barcelona and got a result,” said Rose. “Hopefully, the rest of Europe will take notice of that and fear being drawn against us in the next round. We’ve proved ourselves against the top teams in Europe, so roll on the next round. We’re looking forward to it whoever we get.”

Back
Top Bottom