ERADICATE TO ACCUMULATE:

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Considering you agree with Nicholson 61 's post, which eliminated the following players:

Lennon, Townsend, Dawson, Rose, Soldado, Livermore, Tommy Carroll

That would leave us with Siggy, Naughton and Walker as the only first team HG players in the whole squad.

If we had a buying transfer ban, and a ban to promote young players and a ban for all of the other loopholes to allow Man City to not field one ENGLISH player in a cup final. Then you would be right.

article-2576419-1C14C47100000578-647_634x481.jpg

THERE IS NO SQUAD! You are a Sasquatch of misinformation. I was trying to think of a big, ugly, smelly, lump that makes a lot of noise and isn't real.

What the hell is your issue?

We own players. Collectively they are a squad. You're either incredibly stupid, or a bonafide troll.

Gibbs, there is absolutely no excuse for the manner in which you responded to a post simply pointing out rules and numbers, nor in the manner in which you've continued this debate. Abhorrent behavior for a discussion, and that's even by your own standards.

He has correctly pointed out that we are looking at an excess of foreign players for next season, and people will have to go for it to work out. Frankly, our HG count therefore matters not, it appears we're going to have to sell both HG and foreign players if we wish to improve.

To put things back on topic (and maybe in a better format), here's my thinking.

First of all, to create a space for Non-HG, I would keep Friedel for cup games only (either sub or early rounds)

I would also not be too worried if a few transfers occurred -

Dembele: hasn't impressed despite a plethora of games, injury looks to have Kaboul'd him
Livermore: seems to want to stay at Hull
Sandro: Great personality, but his attitude and ability were questionable last season. If he wants to go, I don't mind.
Adebayor: Won't open that can, but think he can be replaced if another club comes in.

That would free up 3 NHG player spots, plus a fourth if we don't use Brad in the league.

This would leave my list:

U21 'Free' players
Kane
Fryers
Archer
Bentaleb

Home-grown List
1 Walker
2 Rose
3 Naughton
4 Dawson
5 Lennon
6 Townsend
7 Sigurdsson
8 Carroll

Non-HG Players
1 Lloris
2 Kaboul
3 Vertonghen
4 Chiriches
5 Lamela
6 Paulinho
7 Capoue
8 Chadli
9 Eriksen
10 Soldado
11 Assou-Ekotto
12 Falque
13 Holtby
14 New Forward
15 New CB
16 New LB
17 Young/Cover GK

Essentially, I'd keep BAE as he's a good option. I wouldn't want us to be left fighting 5 competitions with one LB if we had an injury there with a new LB, so BAE could share some games with Rose.
A new CB is a must for me, as we have 2 slightly unreliable options in Daws/Kaboul for injuries and what not. The 17th spot is for a sub keeper, someone young for development ahead of Archer. This could be a HG U21 and leave another spot, but that would conflict with archer. A mid-career backup player who isn't HG is an option, leaving Hugo for the League/bigger games perhaps.

I think Falque is worth a shot too, he's done well in Spain and his stock could rise with a decent season. Sure he can play the left, too.

Just a thought, but that's the reality of how PL player lists work and the consideration that has to go in. You could swap out the Lennon, Dawson, Townsend et al, but you'd have to then replace them with younger players - I think we lack maturity and experience as is.

Gibbs, there is absolutely no excuse for the manner in which you responded to a post simply pointing out rules and numbers, nor in the manner in which you've continued this debate. Abhorrent behavior for a discussion, and that's even by your own standards.

He has correctly pointed out that we are looking at an excess of foreign players for next season, and people will have to go for it to work out. Frankly, our HG count therefore matters not, it appears we're going to have to sell both HG and foreign players if we wish to improve.

I second this. The post made by CJJ explaining how the rules impact our current squad are spot on.

I second this. The post made by CJJ explaining how the rules impact our current squad are spot on.
The only half-quibble is that a squad doesn't need 8 HG players. A PL squad simply can't have more than 17 non-HG players.

In the past, the scum have fielded squads with only six HG players. The result, however, was that they had a squad of only 23.

So there's no reason to "pad" a squad with HG players (unless you already have them on the books), since 25 is just the maximum squad size, not also the minimum.

I think we'll sell some of older HG players, but it won't be to replace them with foreigners; rather, it'll be to make room for the youngsters turning 21.

The only half-quibble is that a squad doesn't need 8 HG players. A PL squad simply can't have more than 17 non-HG players.

In the past, the scum have fielded squads with only six HG players. The result, however, was that they had a squad of only 23.

So there's no reason to "pad" a squad with HG players (unless you already have them on the books), since 25 is just the maximum squad size, not also the minimum.

I think we'll sell some of older HG players, but it won't be to replace them with foreigners; rather, it'll be to make room for the youngsters turning 21.

Already covered that, but it fell on deaf ears I think:

A squad MUST be registered containing a maximum of 25 players. Of those 25 players, only 17 can be non-homegrown. Any players over 21 must be registered regardless, but any players 21 or under can be played without being registered, regardless of HG status. The 8 HG players is just maths.

To sell HG players for no reason other than to reduce the squad size (considering our HG players are hardly the best paid, it wouldn't be for wage budget reasons) would be a little silly.

The youngsters wouldn't be an issue unless they had turned 22 by the end of the window, afaik, but to sell Lennon/Townsend/Dawson/Rose just for the sake of it, and not replacing them, would be counter productive to the squad.

Some players are worth keeping for their experience alone.

To put things back on topic (and maybe in a better format), here's my thinking.

First of all, to create a space for Non-HG, I would keep Friedel for cup games only (either sub or early rounds)

I would also not be too worried if a few transfers occurred -

Dembele: hasn't impressed despite a plethora of games, injury looks to have Kaboul'd him
Livermore: seems to want to stay at Hull
Sandro: Great personality, but his attitude and ability were questionable last season. If he wants to go, I don't mind.
Adebayor: Won't open that can, but think he can be replaced if another club comes in.

That would free up 3 NHG player spots, plus a fourth if we don't use Brad in the league.

This would leave my list:

U21 'Free' players
Kane
Fryers
Archer
Bentaleb

Home-grown List
1 Walker
2 Rose
3 Naughton
4 Dawson
5 Lennon
6 Townsend
7 Sigurdsson
8 Carroll

Non-HG Players
1 Lloris
2 Kaboul
3 Vertonghen
4 Chiriches
5 Lamela
6 Paulinho
7 Capoue
8 Chadli
9 Eriksen
10 Soldado
11 Assou-Ekotto
12 Falque
13 Holtby
14 New Forward
15 New CB
16 New LB
17 Young/Cover GK

Essentially, I'd keep BAE as he's a good option. I wouldn't want us to be left fighting 5 competitions with one LB if we had an injury there with a new LB, so BAE could share some games with Rose.
A new CB is a must for me, as we have 2 slightly unreliable options in Daws/Kaboul for injuries and what not. The 17th spot is for a sub keeper, someone young for development ahead of Archer. This could be a HG U21 and leave another spot, but that would conflict with archer. A mid-career backup player who isn't HG is an option, leaving Hugo for the League/bigger games perhaps.

I think Falque is worth a shot too, he's done well in Spain and his stock could rise with a decent season. Sure he can play the left, too.

Just a thought, but that's the reality of how PL player lists work and the consideration that has to go in. You could swap out the Lennon, Dawson, Townsend et al, but you'd have to then replace them with younger players - I think we lack maturity and experience as is.
CJJ. A well structured a thought-out post. Daws, a legend an I concede, well worthy of our love and loyalty and therefore a place in the 25 man squad. But I am at a point with Lennon, Townsend and Rose, where, like you say. For me younger players for purposes served, would be MY preference over any of these 3! Plus the reason for adding Tommy Carroll to my original "get rid list" was ironically, I like him so much!! I do not want this boy's career to stagnate at WHL through lack of game time. I,d love to see him become one of the first names on the team sheet at a Swansea or Sunderland for example.

COYS!!

Already covered that, but it fell on deaf ears I think:
Fair enough. The discussion was so surreal that I couldn't tell what was getting covered and what wasn't.

The issue, however, is that we shouldn't be talking about an HS player "shortage" or "dearth" or anything like that, since we could theoretically field a 17 player squad with 0 HG players.

I make this mistake all the time, myself. I think about how certain players will help our HG quota, etc., when really that doesn't help much at all. Fact is, come August, we can only have 17 non-HG players in our PL squad who were born before 1993.1.1.

Fuck it. I think this deserves its own thread.

With the money from Soldado could we afford English lessons for Lamela? And possibly a light snack as I will most likely be hungry following the fierce negotiations.

I kid. I hope he does well if he stays Spurs.

Fair enough. The discussion was so surreal that I couldn't tell what was getting covered and what wasn't.

The issue, however, is that we shouldn't be talking about an HS player "shortage" or "dearth" or anything like that, since we could theoretically field a 17 player squad with 0 HG players.

I make this mistake all the time, myself. I think about how certain players will help our HG quota, etc., when really that doesn't help much at all. Fact is, come August, we can only have 17 non-HG players in our PL squad who were born before 1993.1.1.

Fuck it. I think this deserves its own thread.

it's not exactly a HG shortage, that's Gibbs not reading posts whilst simultaneously having some odd opinion of PL squad rules, then spouting that "there is no shortage".

The point exists to the opposite - what is the point in buying a load of non-HG players and selling HG first teamers if we can't register them (or end up unable to register other NHG players as a result), and end up essentially replacing (for example) Dawson with Velj, Lennon with McEvoy etc.

But you're right, it should probably even be a sticky!

CJJ. A well structured a thought-out post. Daws, a legend an I concede, well worthy of our love and loyalty and therefore a place in the 25 man squad. But I am at a point with Lennon, Townsend and Rose, where, like you say. For me younger players for purposes served, would be MY preference over any of these 3! Plus the reason for adding Tommy Carroll to my original "get rid list" was ironically, I like him so much!! I do not want this boy's career to stagnate at WHL through lack of game time. I,d love to see him become one of the first names on the team sheet at a Swansea or Sunderland for example.

COYS!!

If we sold Dawson, I'd want him replacing like for like, for example Lescott or Richards (English/HG CB with PL experience). Our defence looked very naive this season, and a good experienced CB could do wonders for the youngers, even Vertonghen & Chiriches.

Let's not forget that Townsend is sort of on the same page as Bentaleb; they both just had their first breakout season in the PL.

Don't let the media convinces us otherwise, Townsend is more of a youth player than seasoned pro, and I think there's positives to take from his season so far to make him worth keeping.

Rose is the only one who is a concern - no doubt he's got potential and a lot of good attributes, but I think his downfall has been the same as Townsend's; Bale wannabe syndrome. Since Bale left, AT has wanted to replace him, and even Rose is trying to show he's still a left midfielder/winger - they need to be told what their roles and and to stick to them.

So now we've established the rules, can I assume gibbs131 that your master plan is to register a 20-man squad including 3 HG players and use the youngsters as backup?

And we have potentially another season of 60+ games.

#GibbsIn

Abhorrent behavior for a discussion, and that's even by your own standards.

Calling someone a sasquatch of misinformation is abhorrent? What I think is abhorrent is CJJ seems to think we have around 30 professional footballers on the books at Spurs.
:paulinhofacepalm:

And to presume to get rid of poor players automatically means they do not get replaced by other HG players or some horseshit is just being purposely obtuse.

So now we've established the rules, can I assume gibbs131 that your master plan is to register a 20-man squad including 3 HG players and use the youngsters as backup?

Isn't it stupid to assume someone would break an easily avoidable rule with our HUGE MASSIVE roster of professional footballers and financial resources? Esp since players who should be moved on, are heavily dominating the worst player of the season awards?

Back
Top Bottom