Eric Ten Hag - What's Your View ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ajax were a young, naive team and should have essentially declared at half time in Amsterdam, and suffered for not doing so.

However, ETH had them playing in a manner that blew us off the park for 75% of the two ties. He was always my first choice and these last few games under Nuno are making me even sadder that we didn't go hard for him in the summer.
Don't watch Ajax. They're ripping the piss out of Besiktas after hammering Sporting Lisbon in their opening game.

Playing football we simply wouldn't be able to and could only dream of.

Levy deserves the sack for not employing him

You mean like Frank de Boer?

Ajax is an easy job to look good in. The definition of a football factory in a league that you generally boss.

I'd have taken him, but been skeptical of it. Doesn't surprise me that other clubs with means swerve him. Is Jol their most successful managerial alum of the past 20 years, or is it Koeman? If you go all the way back to Cruyff, LvG is arguably the only manager they've employed that succeeded at a high level outside of Ajax.

Buy their players, not their managers.
Frank de Boer has never made Ajax so competitive in Europe. Forget about Eredivisie. Not sure why you keep saying Ajax this, Ajax that, ten Hag hasn’t started at Ajax and he’s been a success everywhere he managed.

I'd be excited by it if it goes ahead.

No manager hire is a certainty, and you can come up with lots of reasons he mightn't work out (quality of Dutch league, specificity of Ajax club structure, will his ideas work in PL with the squad we have? will he click with our group of players?). Like Emery, is he a poor communicator in English language? - to this, I don't think so, excepting that one odd video where he says he likes Italy) .

I dunno, to me he seems driven, detailed, a good motivator, and when you look at his Ajax teams, I think lots of our players could flourish in his kind of system (Kane, Son, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Gio, Skipp, Hojbjerg, Sess, Reguilon, Toby, Rodon.... maybe Lucas, Davies and Dele, and Foyth if we can work something out with Villareal).

Someone previously mentioned the club hiring a psychologist to help players manage why they're such pushovers in clutch moments, who roll over in cup finals.

I like that idea. Honestly, I like that idea maybe more than a new manager.

It obviously makes a difference - otherwise there would be no change in performances between Sherwood, Pochettino, Mourinho, etc - there quite obviously was a difference.
We failed under all of those to win anything while the snake meddled in DoF matters which are evidently beyond his ability.

He had the best young manager and failed to back him up in 18 - any new manager would work under the same ridiculous conditions unless a proper scouting /DOF structure is established and he steps aside from ALL football related matters - and sticks to what he does best - turn profit

Last edited:
Potter won’t do shit at this football club, you think managing a bunch of clowns with big egos like Aurier or Sissoko is the same as managing Mr. Ikea from Farmville in Sweden?

It’s fucking over for this club mate. I’m in fuckin tears seriously
gordon ramsay head back to your station GIF by Masterchef

For me this guy has a whiff of Frank De Boer and that frightens me.
For one thing ten Hag has had success at places on than Ajax, whereas that was de Boer's first head job and he got it because he's Frank de Boer.

For another, being as successful as he was for his first few years, it's pretty rare to turn out to be a total fraud like de Boer is, it's kind of amazing that happened.

And then if you look at the point totals and European record, ten Hag's Ajax teams have been clearly better than de Boer's.

Plenty of reason to be suspicious of someone who hasn't managed in an elite league before, but I don't think the superficial de Boer comparison is fair or accurate.

To the tune of "Get Back"...

Eric was a man who knew he was a yiddo
When he was in Amsterdam
Eric made the Ajax lose a semi-final
Cause he loves the Tottenham

TEN HAG!
TEN HAG!
Ten Hag he loves the Tottenham!

I'm going to keep pimping this till someone at Spurs listens. We have bottomed out getting sniffed at by Graham fuckingPotter. If we have go back to go forward with a young progressive attacking coach, there's one who is more tactically adept than Poch. Marcelo Gallardo ( taking English lessons considering a new challenge ) is the risk we should take.

Bayern II finished 2nd the season before he got the job. They won the league his first season, finished 2nd in his last. They then finished 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 1st. Hard to ascribe all of that to him.

Utrecht struggled immediately before him, and he got the 5th one season and 4th the other. Since they've finished either 5th or 6th.

Not to dismiss the guy, but the way you phrase it is as though he worked miracles. He was approximately "above average" in his stops prior to Ajax.

Ajax managers have a terrible history beyond Ajax. That is simply a matter of historical record. So, no, I'm not going to crown the guy as the savior we missed out on. He's probably 16-28 months away from flaming out at some higher profile gig, according to the odds.
At Bayern II, he had them scoring the most goals they have ever scored in the league.

At Utrecht, he was also DOF as well as manager, so he actually set the foundations for them to be able to succeed after him.

Also, his Ajax team equaled a goal scoring record (fewest number of games to reach 82 goals if I recall), that was set by the Cryffs great Ajax side in the 80s, a feat even Louis van Gaals Ajax didn't manage.

His Ajax team also scored the 2nd most goals in Eredivisie history scoring just 3 less than the record Ajax set in the 66/67 season.

Other than Frank De Boer, what other successful Ajax manager has had a terrible history outside of Ajax?

Last edited:
I wonder what constitutes a bad first impression with Levy? Football philosophy? Tactics?

Or the words "If I do come, I'd like some of my current players"
Get rid of Dier, Winks, Davies, Ndombele, Moura, Dele, Kane, Doherty and add £150,000,000 to the kitty, fire Hitchen and get me a proper scouting network and I'll win you everything

"Thank you for your time but we don't believe you're the right candidate for the club at this time"

Very difficult to tell. I know his team schooled us for 3/4 halves in the CL semi-final.

If he does come, I hope he's not someone who will NEVER sacrifice his 'philosophy'.

Would definitely not be be displeased if he joined, but I do worry he could be another de Boer.

Or the managerial equivalent of Vincent Janssen.

Back
Top Bottom