Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Massively taken for granted.

Yeah, he's on the decline, but to have a keeper of his calibre in goal for decade has been an absolute blessing.

It'll only become apparent just how good he has been once his replacement is in. Keepers of Hugo's ability are NOT easy to come by, especially when he's managed to maintain that level for almost ten years.

Massively taken for granted.

Yeah, he's on the decline, but to have a keeper of his calibre in goal for decade has been an absolute blessing.

It'll only become apparent just how good he has been once his replacement is in. Keepers of Hugo's ability are NOT easy to come by, especially when he's managed to maintain that level for almost ten years.

Agree i think it's going to be a shock to the system for a lot of fans when were bouncing from one keeper to the next because they'll all pretty shit or average at best.

He said that when people visit France we expect people to abide by our rules so when we visit other peoples country we should abide by theirs. The logical option for most people is to not visit other countries if you disagree with their laws and customs but that’s not realistic for these footballers.
He said "When we are in France, when we welcome foreigners, we often want them to follow our rules, to respect our culture, and I will do the same when I go to Qatar, quite simply," Lloris said. "I can agree or disagree with their ideas, but I have to show respect."

If someone shows respect for their rules and views on homosexuality they are really condoning it. Wearing a rainbow armband is not against their laws anyway so it's a cop out.
It’s not really clear that the onus should be on footballers to call out the problems - they should be allowed to be publicly apolitical. They’re just entertainers. Im more interested in hearing politicians speak up and too many have been silent. What’s Rishi said? Keir? What have major national federations said? Why are political bodies allowed to be silent but footballers expected to show their disgust? It’s stupid.

Also, you have to understand that many in the Muslim world are not happy with french laïcité. It is politically complicated to say « obey our rules in France and listen to us lecture you in your country too ».
They are allowed to to do what they want but like it or not they are in the public eye and many people will listen and watch what they and say and do. I think if internationational sport just continued playing South African teams during the Apartheid era, it would have taken much longer for Apartheid to be abolished.

As for Sunak and Starmer speaking out yeah they should, they should be speaking out and taking action on lots of things, as should football federations and other political bodies but the truth is they don't get much done, a mere footballer can get the government to provide free school meals.

Wearing a rainbow armband isn't lecturing.

I don't think it is, their culture looks down on homosexuality, yet he says their culture should be respected. There is nothing to respect about their stance. I'm disappointed in him.
I don't think that's what he's saying

To me he is saying that when people come to France, we want them to respect that this is the way we live - whether they like it or not. So be respectful to France.
(I believe) he is saying - we should do the same in Qatar, - I don't read it as embrace and respect their beliefs - but if you want to go, accept that they're not going to change for you.

To make them understand that they need to change - the French team would have to boycott the event - and tell them to stick their stone age beliefs.

My personal belief is that all of the western nations should say that this event is cancelled and pull out - the final straw for me being the acceptance of Iran in the competition.
  1. Massively corrupt decision to accept the event in Qatar - most of the voters subsequently sacked
  2. Qatar stone age refusal to accept anything but binary concepts of humans
  3. Qatar dreadful human rights abuses and treatment of immigrant workforce
  4. Acceptance of Iran in the competition.
It's 2022 for heavens sake

Am I going to watch it if it goes ahead

Yep - it's football at the best level for national competitions.
☹️

He said "When we are in France, when we welcome foreigners, we often want them to follow our rules, to respect our culture, and I will do the same when I go to Qatar, quite simply," Lloris said. "I can agree or disagree with their ideas, but I have to show respect."

If someone shows respect for their rules and views on homosexuality they are really condoning it. Wearing a rainbow armband is not against their laws anyway so it's a cop out.

They are allowed to to do what they want but like it or not they are in the public eye and many people will listen and watch what they and say and do. I think if internationational sport just continued playing South African teams during the Apartheid era, it would have taken much longer for Apartheid to be abolished.

As for Sunak and Starmer speaking out yeah they should, they should be speaking out and taking action on lots of things, as should football federations and other political bodies but the truth is they don't get much done, a mere footballer can get the government to provide free school meals.

I don’t think that’s right. If you were sent on a business trip and didn’t actively speak out against the issues in that country then that is tantamount to supporting injustice?

I can’t agree with that. Should the players be speaking out against abortion or the suppression of voting rights when they go to the US?

In your world, every individual is held to a standard where they must be a political activist.

In my view that role is properly held by political organisations like national FAs, regionals bodies and national governments. The fact that most of these bodies have remained silent (largely for political expediency) is where the focus should be. Their raison d’être is political and they are allowing players to take the heat. Football players are entertainment professionals.

Maybe lloris just doesn't want to get involved?

I don't think that's what he's saying

To me he is saying that when people come to France, we want them to respect that this is the way we live - whether they like it or not. So be respectful to France.
(I believe) he is saying - we should do the same in Qatar, - I don't read it as embrace and respect their beliefs - but if you want to go, accept that they're not going to change for you.
Well when people don't agree with the laws or rules in France they go out and protest, I think that's a good thing. I think everybody knows there isn't going to be any immediate change in Qatar, I don't think that means that people shouldn't speak out or wear rainbow colors.
To make them understand that they need to change - the French team would have to boycott the event - and tell them to stick their stone age beliefs.

My personal belief is that all of the western nations should say that this event is cancelled and pull out - the final straw for me being the acceptance of Iran in the competition.
  1. Massively corrupt decision to accept the event in Qatar - most of the voters subsequently sacked
  2. Qatar stone age refusal to accept anything but binary concepts of humans
  3. Qatar dreadful human rights abuses and treatment of immigrant workforce
  4. Acceptance of Iran in the competition.
It's 2022 for heavens sake
☹️
I agree with that.

Well when people don't agree with the laws or rules in France they go out and protest, I think that's a good thing. I think everybody knows there isn't going to be any immediate change in Qatar, I don't think that means that people shouldn't speak out or wear rainbow colors.

I agree with that.
He meant visitors, not the locals, I would have thought

Lloris is a World Cup winning captain and you get shit for brains like Kosher Kid Kosher Kid questioning whether he is fit to be captain.

And this nonsense about the WC final. Lloris pulled off some insane performances in every World Cup game, especially Uruguay and Belgium. He was a key reason France won the tournament, and you are reducing his contribution to a mistake made when 4-1 up in the final? Come on. Be a serious human.
I love Spurs. I do not love Lloris. I will not give him credit for being born in France and the French having such a poor selection of goalkeepers to choose from that he gets their gig too.

Can't control a football without making regular errors.
Can't kick a football without making regular errors.
Can't decide when to come for a cross or stay put.
Can't decide whether to punch or catch.
Can't decide whether to stay in his box or charge out to deal with a 1v1
Can't decide where to position himself and regularly gets beaten at his near post.

Say it isn't so on any point.

World class my arse.

Last edited:
I don’t think that’s right. If you were sent on a business trip and didn’t actively speak out against the issues in that country then that is tantamount to supporting injustice?

I can’t agree with that. Should the players be speaking out against abortion or the suppression of voting rights when they go to the US?

In your world, every individual is held to a standard where they must be a political activist.

In my view that role is properly held by political organisations like national FAs, regionals bodies and national governments. The fact that most of these bodies have remained silent (largely for political expediency) is where the focus should be. Their raison d’être is political and they are allowing players to take the heat. Football players are entertainment professionals.
If I went on a business trip and said no to wearing an armband that shows solidarity with oppressed people because it was not respecting the country it would be supporting the injustice of the country.

Most of the time I'm not interested in a players political view, I'm interested in the football but occasionally subjects like this come up which are too important to be ignored.

Some players have chosen to speak out or wear an armband some haven't, it's been their choice. The same with taking the knee. They've mostly chose to take action because political organisations were barely doing anything.

If I went on a business trip and said no to wearing an armband that shows solidarity with oppressed people because it was not respecting the country it would be supporting the injustice of the country.

Most of the time I'm not interested in a players political view, I'm interested in the football but occasionally subjects like this come up which are too important to be ignored.

Some players have chosen to speak out or wear an armband some haven't, it's been their choice. The same with taking the knee. They've mostly chose to take action because political organisations were barely doing anything.

Wearing an armband whilst showing unity with a cause is an empty gesture, if you really want to show solidarity then you wouldn't go. But that's not realistic because a) it's your job b) you need to earn money c) You don't really have a choice so what's the difference compared to a footballer (apart from earning the money perhaps)?

People want footballers to act as role models, they're not - they're just paid to kick a football around the pitch so there's no reason for them to get themselves involved in a any political campaigns, it's just unfair to expect them to speak out when they've been forced into that position in the first place.

i dont think the back 3 you mentioned start playing worse when lloris is off form. he cant play out and neither can they, thats why as you say its embarrassing when they get pressed and are forced to. its scrappy passes to each other until the ball becomes so loose the last one gives up possession. proper amateur hour at the back
The back pass is a dreaded option with Lloris in goal. That is what I have noticed. When Dier, Sanchez, Davies, or whoever is playing wing back, receive the ball, the pressure is ramped up on them due to the fact that playing any kind of pass to Lloris will cause further problems rather than relieve the pressure.

Hugo cannot take a touch or kick with his right foot. His left foot is better; but suspect. Under pressure he is a joke. He is always looking to shift it onto his left which causes more problems. Then there is the kicking. It's a flaw in his ability and nothing to do with his age.

A tremendous figure of the club in the last decade. However is clear as water that he is sadly declining. I will always have a big soft spot for him. Was for some years by far the only world class player in the club. After Bale left until Kane became a superstar. Could had left for United or Real Madrid but didn’t forced the club hand.

Next season the club should bring a young (no older than 25 or 26) keeper to start the succession and Lloris getting less games. For me diogo costa would be the obvious answer. Not cheap but a fantastic keeper and just 23.

The back pass is a dreaded option with Lloris in goal. That is what I have noticed. When Dier, Sanchez, Davies or whoever is playing wing back receive the ball the pressure is ramped up on them due to the fact that playing any kind of pass to Lloris will cause further problems rather than relieve the pressure.

Hugo cannot take a touch or kick with his right foot. His left foot is better; but suspect. Under pressure he is a joke. He is always looking to shift it onto his left which causes more problems. Then there is the kicking. It's a flaw in his ability and nothing to do with his age.
yea this is no secret. they have to be one of the worst teams in the league for trying to pass out from the back. if the other team presses hard they will force a mistake. its fucking dumb for us to even try and play out with the keeper and defenders we have. lenglet and romero you can trust but the others im not confident in. davies i think will be ok if the others are but stick him with dier and sanchez and hell struggle

A tremendous figure of the club in the last decade. However is clear as water that he is sadly declining. I will always have a big soft spot for him. Was for some years by far the only world class player in the club. After Bale left until Kane became a superstar. Could had left for United or Real Madrid but didn’t forced the club hand.

Next season the club should bring a young (no older than 25 or 26) keeper to start the succession and Lloris getting less games. For me diogo costa would be the obvious answer. Not cheap but a fantastic keeper and just 23.
a good mid 20s keeper is vital for the summer. weve got a good group of young players already. exciting years ahead really. just need to get a few bits of recruitment nailed.

a good mid 20s keeper is vital for the summer. weve got a good group of young players already. exciting years ahead really. just need to get a few bits of recruitment nailed.
Realistic options imo:

Diogo costa; Sanchez, Mamardshivili, Kobel, Meslier, Lafont, Henderson, Bijlow and Nubel.

Not all the same quality but all of them have potential and could be doable.

Back
Top Bottom