Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking at it pragmatically under a microscope on a decade by decade basis from 1960 we'd have to admit (those long enough in the tooth) the 60's were our glory years, the 70's were dreadful, the 80's were fun and exciting, the 90's were (flirting with relegation) naughty and the 2000's were mediocre.....however since 2009 I believe we have not finished below our par of 6th (albeit without adding silverware) and regularly participated in European competition.

We all like to win stuff but I for one don't support the view of rather winning a cup and getting relegated as a consequence. Ideally we set ourselves up as a club capable of competing on all fronts and we've been close on a number of occasions. Sadly the proverbial has hit us fans atm and its completely natural for the rank and file to react in the way they are currently.

I bet most of us can't wait for this season to be over and maybe give us time to re-group, recharge the batteries and reflect.....it can't get any worse, can it?:mourwhat:
Although I'd view thec70s differently, the first half as successful, two league Cup wins, another semi, a UEFA Cup win, another UEFA final, even the second half had a great second division season with the ossie and ricky stuff coming up.

Maybe it’s because I was born in 88, but I loved the 90s. Spurs were never expected to do anything so every single victory felt amazing, some of our wins this season almost put me to sleep. 1997/98 provides me with so much joy in the last few weeks of the season. Klinnsman returning, 6-2 against Wimbledon, even now that game can make me smile. This season was the worst in memory for me as expectations were high after what I thought was a strong transfer window, and serial winner Jose was going to win us a trophy. As the season progressed we not only bored our fan base to death but we hit new lows as the season progressed. The collapse at the end of the season, 3-0 in Europe, barely leaving our own half in the cup final, the super league, Kane leaving, Levy staying, listening to the Sky Sports agenda, VAR, no fans, players underperforming, players downing tools, finishing below Woolwich and West Ham. I don’t like the majority of our squad, I hate the ownership, I didn’t like both managers we have had.

Not the worst season. Far from it. A disaster 6 months. Yes. No doubt. The Liverpool back to back defeats changed a lot, then the Christmas shindig at Lamela’s gaff and the whole Regulion stuff got weird and there was no way back between the dressing room and manager, similar happened with Harry and Robbie Keane. It finished Keane at Spurs.

I suspect that the lack of CB in January didn’t help either and the whole shit show got toxic quite quickly. I have no more idea than anyone else, but the sacking appears to me to have been a “final” straw moment. Maybe there was an argument after Everton and then no way back. But despite everything, up to Leeds away we were still in with an outside chance of Top 4. And despite how it looks at the moment West Ham and Leicester have big questions to ask themselves too. Football is that fickle.

So yes a poor 6 months by any standards, but then we have a Championship level defence and an iffy midfield. Shit happens when your options are so poor. And that is why Hitchins and Levy need to fuck right off as that player recruiting is on them. End of.

Last edited:
It’s strange, maybe time changes how you feel, but I have never felt this apathy that I feel at the moment for the club. When we were shit in the 90,s and 2000s it didn’t matter , I lived for going to the Lane on a Saturday

It’s to early to psycho analyse, like I’ve said before maybe it was the amount of E,s I was doing lol

The collapse at the end of the season, 3-0 in Europe, barely leaving our own half in the cup final, the super league, Kane leaving, Levy staying, listening to the Sky Sports agenda, VAR, no fans, players underperforming, players downing tools, finishing below Woolwich and West Ham. I don’t like the majority of our squad, I hate the ownership, I didn’t like both managers we have had.

Exactly. You only missed social media and the cunts that infest it and you would have had Bingo.

It's been pretty miserable but hasn't left me feeling anywhere near as bad as lasagne-Gate and Chelsea beating Bayern.

They where hard although both of those totally out of the players control. Most of what has happened this season has been the club shooting itself in the foot and all the work to get to the top looks undone.

Depends on how you define modern times I suppose. It'll be relative. To me modern times still means post-92 (ie the Premier League era). And in this case, it's not even close.

I have never hated a manager more than Jose before he joined us. But when he joined I swallowed all my hatred and wanted to support him : this has been the biggest effort I have ever made as a Spurs fan (I have even believed early in the season that we would have won the title with him). But in the end the feeling I have always had for him was right.

Now I don't even hate him: year after year I just pity him more

Yeh he just seems washed up. Like the big bully at school who went through puberty 3 years early and was bigger than everyone but is now only 5’8ft and fat and kind of embarrassing to the point you no longer hate him but pity him.

Depends on how you define modern times I suppose. It'll be relative. To me modern times still means post-92 (ie the Premier League era). And in this case, it's not even close.
Same for me.
I think there were 12 consecutive seasons when we finished between 7th and 14th. The idea we played open attacking football in that period is laughable.
That said it has been a miserable season, certainly one of the worst in the last decade.

This has been bad, at least in previous seasons when we were bad/average, we were consistently bad/average, there was no or little hope at any point in the season.....

But fuck this year has just been one kick in the balls after another, top of the league going in to the Liverpool game in December, in full control in Europe to being humiliated by an average team, playing bad football but winning was ok, but playing bad football while losing is as bad as it gets, not turning up for another cup final, European Super League fiasco, only a few games ago against Leeds we had top 4 in our own hands and melted like a chocolate fireguard, against Villa last night Europa league was in our own hands and melted again, and the prospect of being a founding member of the Europa rejects league gives me chills (and you just know the footballing gods have us earmarked for such an event) and of course we are 99% certain to lose a man that we thought would break Jimmy Greaves goal record.....

It’s not just the above that hurts either, it’s the knowing that next season isn’t going to be much better as a result of this cluster fuck of a season, no manager is gonna flick a switch and make us great, we would have to spend an obscene amount of money to get the basic, yes basic players, required to give the manager a fighting chance....

To me it feels like the end of AVB and after Bale left.

We had a fractured dressing room and I felt zero connection to most of the players on the pitch. It was well known that there were different cliques in the dressing room.

The only positive is after that I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel...then the Poch era started

The 90's were far worse. I guess many on here are too young or newer supporters but to even compare now to then is laughable tbh

I remember them. Didn’t actually mind the Gerry Francis days, some proper good games, we didn’t really have any expectation at the time. Attack was sometimes good, defence was a pile of shit mostly.

This hurts worse, we got towards the top and fell backwards to where we came while playing the most god awful football the club has seen on par or worse than Graham. And that’s before we come to the embarrassment of the ESL. For a single season the worst I can remember and now our best player we have wants out.

The 90's were far worse. I guess many on here are too young or newer supporters but to even compare now to then is laughable tbh
I know what you mean, after Klinsmann, Barmby and Popescu left and we had Gerry Francis, Christan Gross and George Graham and a ton of shite players were really bleak. The worst i think i felt though was when we finally got rid of Sugar and Graham, got Hoddle and then realised we were still shite in his 2nd full season. That 2002 to 2004 period. It felt a bit like now with a load of ageing, underperforming players who look like they're going through the motions. But we turned it around fairly quickly with Arnesen and Jol so there is hope.

Back
Top Bottom