Is this the worst season of modern times?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this the worst season of modern times (1990’s onwards)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A football club, and this season in particular is not just about what you do on the pitch though, and is in relation to the quality of the team you have.

What has happened off the pitch, and the style of football we played on it, with the players we had available, not necessarily the final position, makes it by far worse than any of those seasons.

Basically what has happened this, and to an extent last season really means as things stand to me, we are no longer Tottenham Hotspur FC.
We need to get our club back, because at the moment it is the first time in my life, where it doesn't feel we have a football club to support any more.

Style of football and entertainment - worst I have ever season.

Results - no 90’s was worse.

Rivals doing better - will be if Chelsea win the CL, United win the EL and West Ham and Woolwich finish above us.

Off the Pitch - easily the worst with Covid, ESL, and Kane wanting out.

To me this season is the worst I have seen bar results which would be a 90’s season.

Maybe not the worst season but the one where the reality ran the most counter to expectations. As many others have said here context is key to the fan perception of a season. At the tail end of 2020 I was pretty confident. Five months on - disillusioned.

Everyone saying 90s compare the teams. This is without a doubt the worst season with the quality of players by far. We knew we were shit in the 90s and accepted it. No acceptance today whatsoever. Without kanes goals i think we wouldnt be far off Newcastle
I don't think our current squad is that great tbh, a few standouts aside.

To add - obviously it is miles ahead of some of our '90s teams

I felt exactly the sae re. our false position vs performances, except fot the fact that that dinosaur, and others like him, have won tonnes of trophies with that backs to the wall 'jammy' style, so I still managed to somewhat ignore what I was seeing and allowed myself to hope.
Perfectly put. I had the same experience.

Was it in the Elbow Room?
I can't remember the name of it to be honest but it was a bar(?) under the North Stand if I recall so it was defo in the stadium. Was with a local supporters club. Kazuyuki Toda (remember him?!) came in after the match as well. Met all the stars that day.

Edit: Oh actually met Steve Perryman too. But as I say I was 13 so he was before my time and I wasn't really clued in to who he was at that point. But I remember many of the older members of the supporters club acting like giddy kids which I found funny.

Maybe it’s because I was born in 88, but I loved the 90s. Spurs were never expected to do anything so every single victory felt amazing, some of our wins this season almost put me to sleep. 1997/98 provides me with so much joy in the last few weeks of the season. Klinnsman returning, 6-2 against Wimbledon, even now that game can make me smile. This season was the worst in memory for me as expectations were high after what I thought was a strong transfer window, and serial winner Jose was going to win us a trophy. As the season progressed we not only bored our fan base to death but we hit new lows as the season progressed. The collapse at the end of the season, 3-0 in Europe, barely leaving our own half in the cup final, the super league, Kane leaving, Levy staying, listening to the Sky Sports agenda, VAR, no fans, players underperforming, players downing tools, finishing below Woolwich and West Ham. I don’t like the majority of our squad, I hate the ownership, I didn’t like both managers we have had.
It really has been an absolute shit show of a season hasn't it.

Absolutely terrible. Chelsea winning yesterday topped it off. Let’s hope things start to get better from today.

I hate Chelski fans and how the club has managed to buy its success, but we got to remember and remind them (when having the misfortune of having to interact with a gobby one) that Woolwich are our rivals, not them. Fulham or Millwall is their historical level.

For me this is the worst season since the 2003/4 David Pleat caretaker season.

That 4-3 FA Cup defeat to Man City literally broke me at the time.
Me too

but I wasn’t there fortunately!

I was at a league cub tie there in 95/96 when we were two up strolling it and conceded a dodgy penalty, sulked and went out 3-2
Disgraceful performance!

It’s been like being George Foreman in the Rumble In The Jungle… pounded opponents early, gassed out and sussed, chinned.

For me it's more painful because of what we've achieved in the last 5/6 or even last 10+ years leading up to this.

Someone on the match thread described it perfectly yesterday - it's like a team who gradually and impressively climbed a mountain, then simply fell down the other side.

Or perhaps more accurately (albeit less pleasing linguistically), gradually and impressively climbed the mountain, almost got to the top, then slipped, fell and plummeted in next to no time to the bottom. :(
It's worse than that. We've plummeted hundreds of feet, from just below the summit and landed, injured, on a narrow ledge, with no way up or down.

There's fodder for tonight's bad dream :eek:

I cannot disagree with that, but the level of cringe was unbearable for me . It depends also on personal stuff, I guess: back then I was in a worse place than now

Yeh fair enough. Jose did me in, he had all the toxic personality of Tim but a worse style of football even than AVB. It was the worst of everything.

The gauge for me is apathy - Jose made me less interested.
Last time I felt like that was avb/sherwood, before that it was George Graham in charge.
Add into the mix COVID and the Tories and a hangover from the CL final and it’s been truly appalling.

They haven’t banned alcohol yet.

I guess in terms of expectations, yes it's the worst season in many years. The nineties and early noughties had bad seasons but the expectations were low. In recent years we have nearly touched the biggest glories so this year's collapse has been hard to take...... especially as before Christmas things were looking good

Last season I could count on my hand about 12 truly awful moments. This season I could add about ten more to that. Woolwich pipping us in the final game sums it up nicely. I think what’s worse this season is thinking back to how promising things looked at the end of 2020. With a world famous Manager at the helm to boot! Remember beating Arse, City and then Man U away 1-6? Fuck sake

Back
Top Bottom