Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

someone said he played 36% of the games he was available for before injury
Really?

Fair enough. I know there was the concern about playing Ndombele and GLC together, but I’ve certainly never got the hint that Jose doesn’t rate him. Even gone on record to say how he was a shy nervous kid but really made an impression on him.

Once he’s fit again, I imagine he’ll be one of the first names on the sheet.

I’ve never really got the criticism of how we spent the Bale money. Maybe just me being defensive of Spurs, but I honestly think it was ok.

In Eriksen we got someone who would turn into one of the best midfielders in Europe. Lamela has been blighted by injuries but still can at least impact a game. Soldado, we’ll Christ knows what happened there but as you say, hindsight is easy. Capoue and Chadli were good squad players. Paulinho had just won player of the tournament for Brazil.

It was only Chiriches that was out and out garbage.
I rarely get bent out of shape on a player but Paulinho was I'm afraid one of those.

But would agree with you on the other. Capoue was a strange one, wasn't very good at all for us but at Watford, I thought he and Doucoure were their best players.

I’ll deal with this....

1) We all recognise there are squad deficiencies. That doesn’t excuse the current performances or league standing. This is a top 4 squad make no doubt, and at ABSOLUTE worst, the 6th best in the league. We aren’t there. He should be doing much better.

2) No manager has a perfect squad. You think Pep wants Zinchenko at LB? It’s the managers job to work with the players at his disposal. Otherwise what are we paying him 15m for?

3) “Not signed or scouted by him”. Has any manager in PL history ever had a team solely consisting of players he signed or scouted other than than Fergie and Wenger? What an odd point.

4) “Sub standard playing staff”. You genuinely believe we have a squad that’s really 9th best in the league? A team that should be getting DOMINATED by Brighton?

5) Even if we accept your absurd notion that this is a borderline bottom half squad with no hope, why would we want Jose managing a long-term rebuild?! If you think that’s his MO you weren’t paying attention in Jose history class, it isn’t. Covid is going to restrict the ability of every club to buy their way out of trouble, why is he the man to take us forward?

Again, there isn’t a fan that doesn’t accept there are squad deficiencies, but we are on target to get 59 points, that’s utterly pathetic. If you think that’s because our backup LB is shit you’re beyond help.

My question to you; without deflecting to the squad or Levy, what are you seeing from Jose at Spurs that gives you cause for encouragement?

What have you been impressed with in terms or tactics, coaching, substitutions and squad management? I’m yet to see a Jose supporter offer anything on this point.
This post is so deranged that it's almost not worth responding...but I'll try to 'deal' with your ramblings quickly.

1, You clearly have a crystal ball...how do you know where we'll finish?...we could be 4th or 10th, who knows TODAY? Nobody knows, so your entire point is empty.

2, Water is wet and the sky is blue, you are saying nothing at all noteworthy here!

3, See number 2!

4, Never said our squad should be 9th...I did say that we have sub-standard players...your point is?

5, You are just rambling here...show me where I said we were 'a borderline bottom half squad'?

Cause for encouragement you ask? We have played great under him at times...he has not had a fair chance yet so there is a way to go yet....I recognize what he is trying to build and I like it (a defensively strong team that can beat anyone...and playing pragmatically when needed)

Jose's team building ability is right up there with the best...sure, he has had the money to do it quickly in the past, but he will need to be more patient/creative here, which is understandable. There is not another manager who is more decorated that him and he has been at the top for over 20 years. (enough for you?)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we have lots of problems right now (injuries, players off form, players not good enough and C19 to help mess things up even more). Jose still has work to do and yes, he has made mistakes, but sacking him anytime soon is not something I will agree with, even if we win nothing this season, I'd still rather have him in charge of our rebuild.

Question for you....if you could sack Jose tomorrow and hire his replacement immediately, who would you hire?

Really?

Fair enough. I know there was the concern about playing Ndombele and GLC together, but I’ve certainly never got the hint that Jose doesn’t rate him. Even gone on record to say how he was a shy nervous kid but really made an impression on him.

I don't think it is not rating him personally as not wanting to have two attacking players in midfield so he is unwilling to play GLC and Ndombele together because he wants Sissoko in there for defense.

I doubt he will ever be one of the first names on the team sheet under Jose because he wants to keep possession, move the ball forward and make passes that may get intercepted.

But hopefully he will see more time if Jose is going to try and save his job by pretending to play more attacking football.

Really?

Not my numbers but i saw it posted recently so pinch of salt i supoose.

Now Mourinho has finally started playing Ndombele deeper it may well open the door GLC to play in front if he returns from injury this season. He has bern played RWF too so that may also be an option

There is a difference you just don't want to see it, or admit it, because that would mean you would have to criticize your boy Jose.

If you think that Salah, Mane, Sterling, Mahrez are playing so defensive so that they can't get involved in the attack like Jose has Bergwijn doing then you aren't watching the top teams play.
just watch this city game now. their defenders are constantly on the ball with heads up looking to play forward and get things going! we have sanchez, dier, aurier and davies doing that! theres a ridiculous gap in quality. the way the games played now you cant have donkeys at the back like you used to get away with

just watch this city game now. their defenders are constantly on the ball with heads up looking to play forward and get things going! we have sanchez, dier, aurier and davies doing that! theres a ridiculous gap in quality. the way the games played now you cant have donkeys at the back like you used to get away with
So true.

I don't think it is not rating him personally as not wanting to have two attacking players in midfield so he is unwilling to play GLC and Ndombele together because he wants Sissoko in there for defense.

I doubt he will ever be one of the first names on the team sheet under Jose because he wants to keep possession, move the ball forward and make passes that may get intercepted.

But hopefully he will see more time if Jose is going to try and save his job by pretending to play more attacking football.
This is just wilful nonsense blinded by your hatred for Mourinho.

He rates Gio highly, has always talked well of him and gave him plenty minutes when fit.

The issue was obviously that Tanguy wasn't fit enough to play deeper alongside Hojberg and Gio wasn't right for that position either.

Also, they were our only two creative options so they were being rotated as we had so many games to play.

Jose has said recently that he believes Tanguy is now ready to play in the deeper role and we've seen him and Hojberg in there for the last few games. Against weak opposition and strong opposition.

If Gio can get fit again we will see the midfield trio we've wanted all season.

This is just wilful nonsense blinded by your hatred for Mourinho.

He rates Gio highly, has always talked well of him and gave him plenty minutes when fit.

The issue was obviously that Tanguy wasn't fit enough to play deeper alongside Hojberg and Gio wasn't right for that position either.

Also, they were our only two creative options so they were being rotated as we had so many games to play.

Jose has said recently that he believes Tanguy is now ready to play in the deeper role and we've seen him and Hojberg in there for the last few games. Against weak opposition and strong opposition.

If Gio can get fit again we will see the midfield trio we've wanted all season.

LOL

We’ll see Jose has had plenty of chances to show us he is willing to play attacking football and every time, even when we are down he chooses not to.

But I love the ignore everything he has said and done and trust that this time he will change defense for Jose.

If only it were so simple that we could just ignore everything Jose has done with us like the apologists want us to.

Agreed but it's an insight into how Jose is with players.

Doesn't look great.

I'll caveat this straight from the start. It's something I read on the internet so could be utter bollocks, however the context suggested to me that it was true.

Context: it was a thread about bad experiences with celebrities. Most of the posts seemed to be about Cilla Black, but the only post about sport was about Mourinho.

Post: someone claiming to be a waitress at a London restaurant said Mourinho and the Chelsea squad (I can't remember if she said the year) turned up after booking a table.

According to her they were all horrible. Rude, sleazy, arrogant, just typical Chelsea I guess. Interestingly she didn't know the names of the players.

She knew Mourinho though, and said she was shocked by him. Not only did he laugh at the behaviour of the players, but was essentially the ringleader.

Pure hearsay but I still remember that. It really doesn't seem far-fetched.

Back
Top Bottom