Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They also work very hard something our low block does not require. They must be one of the hardest working teams as well as technical. You need to match their work rate. Something either our players are incapable of doing or not encouraged to do as we just make sure we have 10 players behind our 18 yard line.

LOL

We’ll see Jose has had plenty of chances to show us he is willing to play attacking football and every time, even when we are down he chooses not to.

But I love the ignore everything he has said and done and trust that this time he will change defense for Jose.

If only it were so simple that we could just ignore everything Jose has done with us like the apologists want us to.

LOL

It's not about ignoring anything.

Ndombele wasn't fit enough to do his defensive duties as all central midfielders have to do, earlier in the season. He has improved his fitness level and that is why we now see him playing deeper. It's really not rocket science.

Unfortunately, Gio has been injured during this development so we haven't had the chance to see them together.

Do you really think he would be picking Lucas or Lamela at 10 ahead of Gio if he was fit? Nonsense.

LOL

I don't hate Jose at all, just think he is a terrible manager for modern football and especially for Spurs.

I talk about him because he is the manager of Spurs and when I see apologists like you making shit up to try and defend him I will point it out.

Our fullbacks are not so poor that they need the "extra" help, plus I thought you said every top team plays like this so what is it every top team plays like this or our defense is crap so we need extra help?

West Ham's midfield and defense are not any better and they are getting by fine without doing the same thing, Villa as well, Chelsea also able to get by,

But once again for Jose apologists, Jose is forced into doing all these things that align perfectly with his philosophy because of the made up nonsense that Spurs are a special flower that need special tactics that no other club needs.
Seems simple logic fails you or maybe you ignore it to suit your agenda

He signed NINE players + nailed down two additional players that were almost certainly leaving the club, who he's coveted for years and wanted to build a defence around. HIS CHOICE.

A Cheque book manager will always be a cheque book manager.

But then again he told everyone he was a changed man, that he'd been "studying hard" and claimed he has "spent his time away from management developing a new strategy and philosophy".

tenor.gif
By your logic every manager is a checkbook manager and the players they sign were exactly the players they wanted.

Poch must have wanted Sissoko and Sanchez quite badly to make them our record signings.

But if that is a self gif, it would explain a lot of things

I’ll deal with this....

1) We all recognise there are squad deficiencies. That doesn’t excuse the current performances or league standing. This is a top 4 squad make no doubt, and at ABSOLUTE worst, the 6th best in the league. We aren’t there. He should be doing much better.

2) No manager has a perfect squad. You think Pep wants Zinchenko at LB? It’s the managers job to work with the players at his disposal. Otherwise what are we paying him 15m for?

3) “Not signed or scouted by him”. Has any manager in PL history ever had a team solely consisting of players he signed or scouted other than than Fergie and Wenger? What an odd point.

4) “Sub standard playing staff”. You genuinely believe we have a squad that’s really 9th best in the league? A team that should be getting DOMINATED by Brighton?

5) Even if we accept your absurd notion that this is a borderline bottom half squad with no hope, why would we want Jose managing a long-term rebuild?! If you think that’s his MO you weren’t paying attention in Jose history class, it isn’t. Covid is going to restrict the ability of every club to buy their way out of trouble, why is he the man to take us forward?

Again, there isn’t a fan that doesn’t accept there are squad deficiencies, but we are on target to get 59 points, that’s utterly pathetic. If you think that’s because our backup LB is shit you’re beyond help.

My question to you; without deflecting to the squad or Levy, what are you seeing from Jose at Spurs that gives you cause for encouragement?

What have you been impressed with in terms or tactics, coaching, substitutions and squad management? I’m yet to see a Jose supporter offer anything on this point.
Jennifer Lopez Reaction GIF by NBC World Of Dance

I specifically state I don't know how much he's worth.

But your Lord Jose dose, he was willing to pay £50m for him!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really are the gift that keeps on giving.
Yes and it makes so much sense when United could get their preferred choice in Matic for around £40m

I guess someone like you might see the sound logic in paying more for a lesser choice than the cost of your prefferred option. Just hope you are not this gullible in real life.

At the end of the day, every manager (except for maybe Pep) operates within the limits of the financial parameters set by the management.

poch you could feel had to be sacked as they was clearly spent, this team doesnt feel like that at all. if we dont have a nice run of results with reggie back ill be very surprised. we have far too many incompetent players in the squad imo and thats been highlighted even more recently. jose has made loads of mistakes but imo the weakness of the squad is more to blame for where we are now. the amount of individual errors every game is quite astonishing
Individual errors is a load of bull... practically every goal can be attributed to an individual error.

Going into this season, most posters said this was the best/deepest squad we’ve ever had. Now all of the sudden it’s the worst in the last decade.

LOL

It's not about ignoring anything.

Ndombele wasn't fit enough to do his defensive duties as all central midfielders have to do, earlier in the season. He has improved his fitness level and that is why we now see him playing deeper. It's really not rocket science.

Unfortunately, Gio has been injured during this development so we haven't had the chance to see them together.

Do you really think he would be picking Lucas or Lamela at 10 ahead of Gio if he was fit? Nonsense.

I think he could or more likely goes back to Sissoko claiming we give away too many goals when he tried it the other way.

This whole squad divide rumour doesn't fill me with confidence for the games ahead... at all. I wished it could work with Jose but i just don’t see it happening anymore. We’re not going to just offload players who are not good enough and i highly doubt we will get much in the ways of new players in the summer unless we sell. We need to stay in the Europa as its another pathway into that champs league... but these players need to throw themselves into it whether they like the managers methods or not.

Really hoping we see some improved performances starting now... and ffs can we just cut out these individual errors, cause they are killing everyone. If in doubt, kick the fuckin thing out!

!COYS!

Individual errors is a load of bull... practically every goal can be attributed to an individual error.

Going into this season, most posters said this was the best/deepest squad we’ve ever had. Now all of the sudden it’s the worst in the last decade.
yea youre right. its all jose mourinhos fault. the players are top notch especially the defence. sanchez and dier was world class before and now they are donkeys. aurier was a reliable RB you could guarantee would give you an 8/10 every game. hes some how made world beater ben davies look like a championship left back, and dont get me started on how hes ruined two world class english kids in winks and dele too.

all them players are known as winners in the game while hes just a mug whos won nothing...hes the problem not them.

Yea i blame Jose for wrecking Wink's confidence... he is such a confidence player

Alli was on fire until Jose arrived too... if only he ever got a chance under him
You might be right about Winks but Dele was playing shite and that's why Jose asked whether he was Dele or Dele's brother. i know that wasn't as soon as he arrived, but he gave him a chance to pick things up in the new style and he didn't (except for a few games after that conversation).

that article was from 22nd Nov 2019. Jose joined in November, I think.

Winks has always been hit and miss for me. One good game, one bad one. He's man of the match 1 out of 11 games, which is about average for the regular squad. That hasn't changed.

I’ll deal with this....

1) We all recognise there are squad deficiencies. That doesn’t excuse the current performances or league standing. This is a top 4 squad make no doubt, and at ABSOLUTE worst, the 6th best in the league. We aren’t there. He should be doing much better.
This is not a top 4 squad. The previous manager had started to fail with it too. And so will this one.

you think that has nothing to do with mourinho blanketing them with midfielders to protect them? they are not good defenders and even worse footballers. the reason we cant get hold of the ball for a decent period of time is because the back line is riddled with donkeys who cant pass the ball well enough. sanchez, dier, aurier and davies wouldnt get into any side in the top half

We have conceded the 2nd least number of goals from open play. - So our defensive shape and organisation is good.

We have conceded ZERO goals from counter attacks. - So jose's formation is working in that respect.

So, now the bad

6 penalties (how many of those are 'finger nails')
6 set pieces. We aren't the worse (11th) and united, chelsea, liverpool, liecester come off worse than us.

"OUR DEFENSE IS BAD BECAUSE WE PARK THE BUS' I hear you cry

We rank 7th in number of shots on target. With an average of 1 shot hitting the woodwork each 2 games. The majority of our shots come in the 6 yard box.

We rank 13th in key passes, at 17th in 'short' key passes.

We rank 20th (LAST) in number of crosses per game.

CONCLUSION

- Given our abundance of wide players (Bergjwin, Bale, Aurier, Reguillon, Son) we do not cross the ball. This makes us predictable.

- Ndombele, Sissoko, Holjberg are poor passers of the ball.
- We are not creating enough chances for our strikers.
- Our strikers are not converting chances at a high enough rate.

Defensively we are good. Offensively we are poor. We are essentially blaming the 2nd best defence in the league for our 9th position. YES, if we had the BEST defence in the league we would be a few points better off. But if we scored more of our chances created we would have MANY more points.

We have conceded the 2nd least number of goals from open play. - So our defensive shape and organisation is good.

We have conceded ZERO goals from counter attacks. - So jose's formation is working in that respect.

So, now the bad

6 penalties (how many of those are 'finger nails')
6 set pieces. We aren't the worse (11th) and united, chelsea, liverpool, liecester come off worse than us.

"OUR DEFENSE IS BAD BECAUSE WE PARK THE BUS' I hear you cry

We rank 7th in number of shots on target. With an average of 1 shot hitting the woodwork each 2 games. The majority of our shots come in the 6 yard box.

We rank 13th in key passes, at 17th in 'short' key passes.

We rank 20th (LAST) in number of crosses per game.

CONCLUSION

- Given our abundance of wide players (Bergjwin, Bale, Aurier, Reguillon, Son) we do not cross the ball. This makes us predictable.

- Ndombele, Sissoko, Holjberg are poor passers of the ball.
- We are not creating enough chances for our strikers.
- Our strikers are not converting chances at a high enough rate.

Defensively we are good. Offensively we are poor. We are essentially blaming the 2nd best defence in the league for our 9th position. YES, if we had the BEST defence in the league we would be a few points better off. But if we scored more of our chances created we would have MANY more points.
for a holding midfielder hojbjergs passings is fine. so you actually think our defenders are good enough? the attack is suffering because he has to protect a poor defence. if the defence was good enough in terms of actually defending he wouldnt need to over protect them, and if they was good enough with the ball at their feet our attacks would be far more potent because it would have quality from the very start. you are not going to get quality coming from our shoddy defenders. sanchez looks petrified of having the ball at his feet and dier loves hitting long balls with too much weight on them...classy

from the other games i watch the good sides all have CB's that look like they would be decent CM's. they can all play a pass at the right time to the right person and when a midfielder has to pass them the ball back their touch is on point..our defenders are not capable of doing that, toby was but hes over the hill now and id still say hes our best CB..not that hes up against much

Poch , one of the best young modern progressive attacking coach, failed to win trophy in his 5 years here
mourinho ,the man who won trophies everywhere he went in his 20 years career, hasn't win anything yet here
What does that says about our club ?

Oh also you are talking about pts per game ,i am talking about trophy, that already shows where our level are.
When you say "our", how long have you supported this great and historic football club?

Back
Top Bottom