Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Come on.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. We were dogshit under Poch for months. The squad was knackered.

Again, sack Jose, fine. But our squad has been found out. Or, rather, those around us have gotten better.

Up top we’re definitely Top 4, but that back line is dodgy.

Yes but we knew why and spoke about this many times. We lacked a DM (the most critical problem) we lacked full back depth, we lack cover for Kane, and we could do with another CB and AM.

We bought all of these, this was the backing most people wanted Poch to have 1-2 seasons ago. We fixed the depth issue that was running us into the ground.

It was the best transfer window in Levy’s tenure. Most people thought we had a squad at least United/Chelsea strong and a bit below Liverpool/City. We only moaned we didn’t get Skrinar.

Now it’s like that brilliant window never happened, all because Jose doesn’t have a clue how to use attacking players and puts all the pressure on our weakest area our CB’s. This is a classic Ramos>Redknapp situation. A manager who has a squad not suited to his tactics but would suit an attacking manager.

I came upon this today in my TL

Just take a look at the poll, 95% ratted it 8/10 or higher!!! https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/summer-2020-transfer-window-rating.37580/

Football fans overhype their chances at start of season shock horror!

A number of caveats to that:
- We never knew Doherty would be trash (though Wolves fans did warn us)
- Dele has kept up his two year run of shitness - what were people hoping for?
- Gio has barely been fit
- Reguilon is great but has injuries issues too (Davies has played far too much)
-Winks has regressed further
- We all hoped Bale wasn't just coming for a holiday - he was
- Bergjwin hasn't stepped up
- All of our centre backs have been exposed as not good enough this season.

So yes at the outset it looked like we had a good squad.

The truth is we have a bloated squad full of mediocre players.

Starting to get strong wicker man vibes here . Reckon they meet up once a year on a remote island to burn 10ft effigies of Pep Guardiola, Eva Carneiro and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the latter i can only assume for taking the great ones job that should have rightfully been his for life. Think it would be easier de-programming a moonie or someone from Waco than this lot.
One of my horror favourite movies. Fantastic. Not the remake with nic cage tho 😂

I don’t mind honesty though. El Magnifico admitted he wasn’t a Spurs fan but it’s the pretence of being a Spurs fan more that winds me up.

wonmina DR Spurs DR Spurs thfc nw halothagod halothagod
I don’t think people on this forum think your are Spurs fans, you turned up when or after Jose got appointed and you spend all day defending Jose and little else.

There are others who have defended Jose like AberdeenYid AberdeenYid Cranston Cranston etc but we know that is a genuine defence and fair enough we all have different views. You can be a Spurs fan and like Jose or hate Poch or whatever.

But it’s frustrating as fuck to be arguing with someone without knowing if they truly are Spurs or Jose fans. Be honest, there is nothing wrong with being a Jose fan and it’s a legitimate argument but it’s the deception that makes the whole thing a bollox.
Diehard Spurs fan since 1977...not that it's all that important really...and I don't care whether other members think I'm 'proper Spurs' or not!

What is it with folks on here? I know lots of TFC members who are huge Spurs fans and haven't ever posted anything on the forum, they just read....and sometimes we discuss things on another medium as a smaller (more balanced) group.

I have been 'here' since around 2011 (diff email and username back then) and all I did was read and listen to the podcast occasionally while I lived in the US. The only difference is that now I'm reading things that I feel like responding to, so I do...especially when they are topics that I care about.

Personally, I don't even care if someone is here because of Jose...some are here because of Son or Kane too...not a problem to me!

Why?

Because by supporting one of our players or managers, you are also implicitly supporting SPURS...and I would never have an issue with that...and I can't understand why any true supporter would have an issue with that.

I’m just trying to understand why people want the manager sacked when they feel he can finish top 4
They dont. They want the manager sacked because a team with asperations and a pedigree for top 4 are 9th

West Ham team last weekend. Six points above us could go 9 points above us with a win on a sunday. Compared to ours. Why is West Ham out preforming Tottenham. It can only be poor management leading to poor preformances

West Ham​

Lukasz Fabianski
    Issa Diop
    Craig Dawson
    Aaron Cresswell
    Vladimir Coufal
    Tomas Soucek
    Declan Rice
    Ben Johnson
    Manuel Lanzini
    Jesse Lingard
    Jarrod Bowen

Substitutes​

Said Benrahma
    (s 82')
    Frederik Alves
    Mark Noble
    (s 63')
    Pablo Fornals
    Ryan Fredericks
    (s 90')
    David Martin
    Ademipo Odubeko
    Conor Coventry
    Jamal Baptiste

• Spurs​

Hugo Lloris
      Japhet Tanganga
      Davinson Sanchez
      Eric Dier

Ben Davies

Tanguy Ndombele
      Pierre Hojbjerg
      Erik Lamela

Rodrigues Lucas Moura
      Heung-Min Son
      Harry Kane

Substitutes​

Matt Doherty
      Toby Alderweireld
      Harry Winks
      Gareth Bale
      (s 72')
      Joe Hart
      Moussa Sissoko
      (s 46')
      Dele Alli
      (s 64')
      Steven Bergwijn
      Carlos Vinicius

I’ll deal with this....

1) We all recognise there are squad deficiencies. That doesn’t excuse the current performances or league standing. This is a top 4 squad make no doubt, and at ABSOLUTE worst, the 6th best in the league. We aren’t there. He should be doing much better.

2) No manager has a perfect squad. You think Pep wants Zinchenko at LB? It’s the managers job to work with the players at his disposal. Otherwise what are we paying him 15m for?

3) “Not signed or scouted by him”. Has any manager in PL history ever had a team solely consisting of players he signed or scouted other than than Fergie and Wenger? What an odd point.

4) “Sub standard playing staff”. You genuinely believe we have a squad that’s really 9th best in the league? A team that should be getting DOMINATED by Brighton?

5) Even if we accept your absurd notion that this is a borderline bottom half squad with no hope, why would we want Jose managing a long-term rebuild?! If you think that’s his MO you weren’t paying attention in Jose history class, it isn’t. Covid is going to restrict the ability of every club to buy their way out of trouble, why is he the man to take us forward?

Again, there isn’t a fan that doesn’t accept there are squad deficiencies, but we are on target to get 59 points, that’s utterly pathetic. If you think that’s because our backup LB is shit you’re beyond help.

My question to you; without deflecting to the squad or Levy, what are you seeing from Jose at Spurs that gives you cause for encouragement?

What have you been impressed with in terms or tactics, coaching, substitutions and squad management? I’m yet to see a Jose supporter offer anything on this point.
Thank you, I just read your post; it is perfectly put. I thought his post was a bit strange

Right I understand from your last post your views are completely hypothetical, that we can make top 4 with a new manager

I was discussing in real time, that we won’t

Maybe not now as it’s too late. But start the season with say Rogers as manager and we would, for Jose with decent backing in the market to have us in 9th and trailing Moyes West Ham is a joke.

They dont. They want the manager sacked becayse a team with asopirations and a pedigree for top 4 are 9th

West Ham team last weekend. Six points above us could go 9 points above us with a win on a sunday. Compared to ours. Why is wet Ham out preforming Tottenham. It can only be poor management leading to poor preformances

West Ham​

Lukasz Fabianski
    Issa Diop
    Craig Dawson
    Aaron Cresswell
    Vladimir Coufal
    Tomas Soucek
    Declan Rice
    Ben Johnson
    Manuel Lanzini
    Jesse Lingard
    Jarrod Bowen

Substitutes​

Said Benrahma
    (s 82')
    Frederik Alves
    Mark Noble
    (s 63')
    Pablo Fornals
    Ryan Fredericks
    (s 90')
    David Martin
    Ademipo Odubeko
    Conor Coventry
    Jamal Baptiste

• Spurs​

Hugo Lloris
      Japhet Tanganga
      Davinson Sanchez
      Eric Dier

Ben Davies

Tanguy Ndombele
      Pierre Hojbjerg
      Erik Lamela

Rodrigues Lucas Moura
      Heung-Min Son
      Harry Kane

Substitutes​

Matt Doherty
      Toby Alderweireld
      Harry Winks
      Gareth Bale
      (s 72')
      Joe Hart
      Moussa Sissoko
      (s 46')
      Dele Alli
      (s 64')
      Steven Bergwijn
      Carlos Vinicius
The guy I started this discussion with a guy who thinks that:

This season has taught us Jose's negative football has no place in the Premier league. We beat Woolwich because of a wonder goal and Partey got injured. We got lucky that we won that game. If we don't get a 1-0 or 2-0 lead we do jackshit.

But still thinks Jose can get 4th. Just wondered how this works

The guy I started this discussion with a guy who thinks that:

This season has taught us Jose's negative football has no place in the Premier league. We beat Woolwich because of a wonder goal and Partey got injured. We got lucky that we won that game. If we don't get a 1-0 or 2-0 lead we do jackshit.

But still thinks Jose can get 4th. Just wondered how this works
So what do you think. are spurs under or over preforming?

Back
Top Bottom