Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree and its why i've been banging on about Mourinho having to win a hell of a lot of games if the football remains the same. I think top 4 minimum. Agree on AVB, we were almost as bad the latter half of 12/13 and Bale dug us out, terrible to watch though. Once the results started to go that was it.

I guess that’s the issue. Fans will tolerate the style of football if the team is winning. More likely to tolerate a drop in good results if the style is attacking and entertaining. If the style is negative and dull there’s very little patience if points are being dropped.

It's a bit like what makes a good looking woman. One might say brunette, one might say blonde, one might say size 28

I personally think there is 2 types of football I never want to see. 1 is cheating. If our players are laying on the ground rolling around time wasting, I will be disgusted. I cannot stand that kind of football. Think WBA, Stoke etc that turned up and their only game plan was to stop football taking place. The other is passing for the sake of passing. There's nothing enjoyable about making 1,000 passes a game in the middle of the pitch and never getting behind teams. It's tedious, frustrating and downright embarrassing. Leading me to what I don't mind.....

Giving up possession in a calculated gamble to open up space on the pitch makes the game more exciting IMO.
Playing free flowing counter attacks from front to back is entertaining.

Ultimately though - winning is entertaining.
Top post. Just watched Bayern dismantle Barcelona playing quick “counter attacking football.”

Not necessarily like they park the bus, but they defend as a team and attack as a team.

Top post. Just watched Bayern dismantle Barcelona playing quick “counter attacking football.”

Not necessarily like they park the bus, but they defend as a team and attack as a team.
Less possession than Barcelona but racked up 26 shots, 14? on target, scored 8 and could have been 10.
Like I said, passing for the sake of passing and doing nothing with it is boring and fruitless.

tenor.gif

Less possession than Barcelona but racked up 26 shots, 14? on target, scored 8 and could have been 10.
Like I said, passing for the sake of passing and doing nothing with it is boring and fruitless.
I have heard it said that Mourinho's teams give procession to the other side. Whilst players make mistakes I do not think they deliberately give the Ball to the other side so they can make a break. What happens is instead of playing safe pass after safe pass he encourages players to take on the more riskier pass which only has say 50% chance of coming off. If it works we progress into a scoring opportunity and if not lose possession. This of course includes clearances from Lloris.

I have heard it said that Mourinho's teams give procession to the other side. Whilst players make mistakes I do not think they deliberately give the Ball to the other side so they can make a break. What happens is instead of playing safe pass after safe pass he encourages players to take on the more riskier pass which only has say 50% chance of coming off. If it works we progress into a scoring opportunity and if not lose possession. This of course includes clearances from Lloris.
You need to be very good defensively to play that way.

I may have misunderstood, but I thought Mourinho-ball was allowing the other team to have possession (not give the ball away), as less possession leads to less opportunity for mistakes and moving away from the game plan and - therefore - control of the game? The assumption behind it is that the errors of a team are what cause goals - less possession=less potential for errors. The focus of the Mourinho team is to watch for the error and capitalise on it. No problem making errors in the final third as when the oppo have the ball, they are then more prone to error than the Mourinho team (which has returned to shape, awaiting the next error and opportunity to take advantage). This is why he thinks he can win trophies with us, as we have a very clinical attack led by Kane so would require less opportunities than other teams.
I think...

City´s most important match and Pep decided to change the team´s formation to a back 3.

He left Phil Foden, Riyad Mahrez, David Silva and Bernardo Silva on the bench. Fernandinho, Garcia, Laporte, Rodri and Gundogan were all together in the team. The club spent 60m on Mendy and Zinchenko, but Pep´s choice was to play the game with two RB´s.

City lost the game 3-1.

If this was Jose Mourinho, every fan from every football club in the world, every pundit and football writer from every TV show, Newspaper, Tabloid, YouTube channel and Twitter - not to mention internet forums - would be saying he´s done in top football. "Last time he won the CL was 10 years ago, with Messi in his team". Dinosaur, outdated, inept, etc.

City 72% possession yet concede 3 goals but pep still gets lauded as the manager, yet joses team had around 30% against Leicester but won 3-0 and yet he is the villian.

You think people were claiming Jose was the villian after the Leicester game?

Why is that game always used as some sort of example when it is clearly the outlier?

Both of their tactics are a tad outdated, tbh

I think it is both of their stubborness that is "outdated."

For almost different reasons, Jose unwilling to change, Pep seeming to think he always has to change, both guys seem to be too stubborn to make the necessary changes to their approaches.

I understand that this often happens with successful coaches in all leagues, hell it happens with unucccessful coaches as well. But I think it is the stubborness that is each guys biggest flaws more than their tactics.

Teams playing against Mourinho's will always need to watch for the sucker punch. His team, when on full squad fitness, will also dominate over bottom teams, 50-50 for up to top 6s, and sit back against top 4. His points collection is the same: win against teams up to top 6s and get draws against top 4. Yes, playing defensive against top 4s need very high concentration for CDM and the defence to not make silly mistakes. This is the reason he is still proud of his Inter 2010 team as he said many times that they can defend solidly even up to the 900th minute. Even if he can get 3/4 of the Inter type defenders he will probably bag the League this season.

Think your getting your knickers in a twist mate, I was just using particular game as an example don't get to hung up on it.

Fair enough.

I was more using your post as a general example as it seems many people like to bring up the Leicester game as an example of why Jose's tactics work, so it was more of a general comment than meant to single you or your post out.

Same results tho, all I've heard over the last few years is where at the trophies, so it's results that matter no?

Same results?

Pep has a couple of PL titles, multiple FA and League Cups as well plus multiple much better PL finishes.

Maybe if we are going back in time the results are the same but over the time that Pep has been at City the results are not even close to being the same.

Back
Top Bottom