Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hi Spartan, it won't blow over for myself and quite a few others, because we haven't been happy for years over our relative decline compared to Chelsea and Woolwich. Now that's not all ENIC's fault of course, but they they've had a long time to make us London's top club, and it hasn't happened. While we remain a poor third, I and some/many others won't be happy, not even if we beat the Mackems, though of course I will be delighted if we do so.
We could do a lot worse than third and they've clearly already made significant progress with us. Also the only way we're quickly going to leapfrog either Woolwich and/or Chelsea is to get a sugar daddy. I do not want this at all because it's not proper success in my eyes, I don't count City's titles/cups because they weren't earned, they were bought with billions. I'd then have to be a hypocrite to think anything else for us wouldn't I?

We could do a lot worse than third and they've clearly already made significant progress with us. Also the only way we're quickly going to leapfrog either Woolwich and/or Chelsea is to get a sugar daddy. I do not want this at all because it's not proper success in my eyes, I don't count City's titles/cups because they weren't earned, they were bought with billions. I'd then have to be a hypocrite to think anything else for us wouldn't I?

Fair comments Spartan. People who don't want to go down the City/Chelsea route I have no problems with whatsoever. I can easily see why someone wouldn't like that.

But while we've got ENIC, then we are going to get many dissatisfied fans. It's not that they're doing a terrible job, they clearly aren't. But their way of operating just leaves us in kind of limbo world that various posters have alluded to. We're not one of the Big Five, we're doing pretty well, but it's somewhat passionless, with supporters that often want more and show that at the Lane with the lack of intensity that's experienced there. As always I don't include the superb 1882 movement in this criticism. They're the main reason i joined this site, they're doing something wonderful, but they're also battling against a corporate stance from our owners that doesn't help to get a great atmosphere. The new stadium can help so much in that regard, but will it, or will ENIC just chase the dollar?

Fair comments Spartan. People who don't want to go down the City/Chelsea route I have no problems with whatsoever. I can easily see why someone wouldn't like that.

But while we've got ENIC, then we are going to get many dissatisfied fans. It's not that they're doing a terrible job, they clearly aren't. But their way of operating just leaves us in kind of limbo world that various posters have alluded to. We're not one of the Big Five, we're doing pretty well, but it's somewhat passionless, with supporters that often want more and show that at the Lane with the lack of intensity that's experienced there. As always I don't include the superb 1882 movement in this criticism. They're the main reason i joined this site, they're doing something wonderful, but they're also battling against a corporate stance from our owners that doesn't help to get a great atmosphere. The new stadium can help so much in that regard, but will it, or will ENIC just chase the dollar?
Nail on head for me mate
Hats off to you !!!

We will never win the league under ENIC ownership for the simple fact we can't buy the same players as City/United/Woolwich/Chelsea can. The only way we would get ourselves into a position of competing with the 'top 4 clubs' is with new owners who are willing to spunk millions upon millions of pounds of money into the team.
It then comes down to an discussion of ethics, would we really want to 'buy' success like City or Chelsea, is that 'The Spurs Way?' or should we value success over everything, 53 years since we won the league last and 20+ years since we've won an FA cup..

Last edited:
We will never win the league under ENIC ownership for the simple fact we can't buy the same players as City/United/Woolwich/Chelsea can. The only way we would get ourselves into a position of competing with the 'top 4 clubs' is with new owners who are willing to spunk millions upon millions of pounds of money into the team.
It then comes down to an discussion of ethics, would we really want to 'buy' success like City or Chelsea, is that 'The Spurs Way?' or should we value you success over everything, 53 years since we won the league last and 20+ years since we've won an FA cup..

If it meant winning the league, I would take literally anyone. If I go to my death bed without seeing Spurs winning the league I will be seriously peeved.

If it meant winning the league, I would take literally anyone.
As would I, I would never rule out 100% someone who wanted to throw tons of cash at the club.

However this totally goes against the majority of my beliefs about what football should be like in an ideal world, but I suppose it's time to be realistic.

If it meant winning the league, I would take literally anyone. If I go to my death bed without seeing Spurs winning the league I will be seriously peeved.

I think the problem is by taking anyone, would you want to take being Leeds or Blackburn and then the inevitable collapse?

I'm not totally dismissing the argument 'to have won it once than to have never won it all' but with success there is always a price, that might mean more fans who are 'hangers on', rising ticket prices, big foam hands with Daniel Levy's face on it, stubhub ticketing and no standing in the ground.

I would love to see us win the league but I can't really see that happening unless we are really prepared to sell our souls, then would that really be Tottenham Hotspur winning the league?

It then comes down to an discussion of ethics, would we really want to 'buy' success like City or Chelsea, is that 'The Spurs Way?' or should we value success over everything, 53 years since we won the league last and 20+ years since we've won an FA cup..
Don't forget that when we won the double and then became the first British club to win a European trophy we were a big spending club. Probably the biggest spending club in the country. It's true we didn't 'buy the league' in the same way that City and Chelsea have done, but 'buy the league' we did. The team that gave us our greatest period of success, between 1960-63 was full of stars that we bought for large fees, sometimes record fees. Jones Blanchflower Mackay Greaves, for example, were all expensive imports from other clubs.

I think the problem is by taking anyone, would you want to take being Leeds or Blackburn and then the inevitable collapse?

I'm not totally dismissing the argument 'to have won it once than to have never won it all' but with success there is always a price, that might mean more fans who are 'hangers on', rising ticket prices, big foam hands with Daniel Levy's face on it, stubhub ticketing and no standing in the ground.

I would love to see us win the league but I can't really see that happening unless we are really prepared to sell our souls, then would that really be Tottenham Hotspur winning the league?
But there's no compelling reason for us to be a Leeds or Blackburn. We could win the league once, and then go back to being a biggish club as we are now. We won the league once in 61, but we didn't proceed to do a Leeds or Blackburn, we just failed to win the League again, up to this season so far.

There's also the tantalizing prospect that if we won the Prem once, we then might go on to win it again, within the same decade, even maybe the next year, depending on how good/lucky we were.

Also, and I may have missed some irony here, don't we already have 'rising ticket prices' (maybe not this season, but we are horrendously expensive) StubHub, and no standing.

Daniel Levy faces on foam hands I can't see it's true, and whether we have 'hangers on' I know not, but we have plenty of people who go to the ground who haven't got a clue about supporting the team, IMHO of course.

Last edited:
Good points but it's not just ethics , it's also the considerable risk of the sugar daddy model. For every Chelsea that has bought success, there are plenty of clubs that have gone down the tube .

At least ENIC seems to be a well run business and despite what people say on here, Tottenham's sustainability as a club has improved immeasurably under them.

It's also worth pointing out that, for all the flak that Levy gets, the decisions are made by the Board, which he chairs. At least we have a Spurs supporter doing that job who would still be a season ticket holder even if he wasn't in charge.

Like everyone else, I want to win stuff, do it in style and be excited by the players. Sure, it could be better but it could also be much, much worse.

I know it's natural to look up and want to be there, but if we're a top 6 side the converse point is that there are 5 teams above us there are another 84 professional teams below us, in that context we could be accused of worrying about first world problems...

tbh the whole Tottenham area could really use some super rich geezer coming in spunking a billion and regenerating the whole area

Liverpoo last season and even us under 'Arry showed that you don't need to spunk billions to have a real run at the league you just need to build a strong team and really believe you can do it. The problem with Levy is he's qwik to hit the panic button and start over and he loves to change the whole management structure at the club. It's just galling to know our owner uncle joe has 4 or 5 billion to his name and refuses to even attempt to push us on abit.

Don't forget that when we won the double and then became the first British club to win a European trophy we were a big spending club. Probably the biggest spending club in the country. It's true we didn't 'buy the league' in the same way that City and Chelsea have done, but 'buy the league' we did. The team that gave us our greatest period of success, between 1960-63 was full of stars that we bought for large fees, sometimes record fees. Jones Blanchflower Mackay Greaves, for example, were all expensive imports from other clubs.

Great points that are often overlooked Greavesy

tbh the whole Tottenham area could really use some super rich geezer coming in spunking a billion and regenerating the whole area
Yes, super rich geezers are known for 'spunking' billions without guaranteed returns - that's how they got rich in the first place

How wold are you - 12?

Yes, super rich geezers are known for 'spunking' billions without guaranteed returns - that's how they got rich in the first place

How wold are you - 12?

there's no such thing as a guaranteed return you stupid fuck, there's an element of risk in everything

shouldn't you be ironing your red jorts bitch or sucking your boyfriends cock :avbfu:

there's no such thing as a guaranteed return you stupid fuck, there's an element of risk in everything

shouldn't you be ironing your red jorts bitch or sucking your boyfriends cock :avbfu:
Sorry, make that 11 - I overestimated you

No 'millionaire' directs massive investment without getting a return - you're an idiot. Getting someone to 'spunk' a billion in a shitty part of London 'for the fun of it' possibly only happens on your family Monopoly game

Last edited:
Sorry, make that 11 - I overestimated you

No 'millionaire' directs massive investments without getting a return - you're an idiot. Getting someone to 'spunk' a billion in a shitty part of London 'for the fun of it' possibly only happens on your family Monopoly game

that's a load of utter bollox

plenty of millionaires and better blow money hand over foot without a monetary return on their investment

but hey ho go fuck yourself you're fishing for an argument because you are a sad cunt with fuck all better to do

Back
Top Bottom