Now is not the time

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What about the second question ?
The project was to make us a CL regular by the time the stadium was built...we are getting closer to winning trophies, we've been semi final regulars in the domestic trophies the last few seasons, this year we made the biggest club final there is...

"and a couple of good runs in the cups"

Oh God just fucking kill me now

:pochfacepalm:

Not to go too over the top, but I'd be perfectly happy to put your out of your misery if things are as bad as you project as a Spurs fan....

Walking away might be less dramatic tho'.

Chat less shite and they may turn to agrees...... Kinda how it works, y'know. :llorishuh:
D-FVJliWsAAclIl.png

I'm sort of in the middle here.

I feel it's an absolute must that we win a trophy asap.

I recognise the difficulty in winning trophies with Man City around.

I understand the pragmatism of prioritising a top 4 finish over a domestic cup win, the fa cup wins done little for Woolwich.

If you agree, then why falsely contradict me (seemingly with no broader point, t'boot)?

"It's petulance like this that puts people off of you."

IRONY ALERT!!!!

....Low and behold that quote DIRECTLY and entirely applies to you (petty contradiction is your speciality - You're exhibiting it right now!).... Save me the personality lectures until you're prepared to check yourself first (which you clearly aren't).

Zzzzzz

I do but I don’t need to be be critical of the board on the whole because they have delivered a new training ground, stadium and have provide one of the best squads in the league. Pochettino on the other hand isn’t getting the maximum out of the personnel he has been given - it’s Redknapp all over gain. We have an elite board, and elite squad but do lot have an elite manager.
So only Poch is to blame for losing the Cl, not the players for playing below their ability.

:pochfacepalm:

It is not that important what you or I want as supporters as what the players want. Players including Kane have talked about winning trophies and whilst they believe they can do it with Tottenham they will stay. At one time we constantly played weak teams in the cups. Now if we get an important match we play a strong team. We just have not won them. Beating MC and Ajax made me think we had turned a corner but surely we are close and just need to get over the line to get more.

There is a narrative that irritates me. It goes something like ‘signing someone NOW is more important than ever, this moment right now and everything will collapse if we don’t’.

Read article

It's a good, balanced read but ibetwixt the margins so are 99.5% of fans.

The writer forgets those fans who only arrived at the top 4 party. Why should they look back? Indeed how can they?

People are 100% entitled to their opinions but I think too much is inferred by the posts people make.

Well, the writer was me!

And I haven't forgotten those who are new to the experience, if you have only been watching Spurs for 5 or 6 years, I envy you, you have decades ahead of you watching Spurs and it will be fantastic, you will see us do great things and see us fail too, that's the nature of supporting any club and perhaps why any given moment in a club's history can be taken out of context.

I am honestly not trying to patronise you or anyone saying how they should think about Spurs but in a few years time, have a read again and see if it chimes with you, you might be surprised.

My point stands and I started with a good, balanced read did I not?

Meh....

Was I around in the 60's? No...

Am I proud of our history? Fuck yes.

"It’s a never ending ride but it’s only really worth experiencing it if you enjoy it."

Totally missed the point of the article...... Why am I not suprised.

Had I missed the point of the article I could not have written what I did.

That’s all well and good but the glaring elephant in the room is that little thing called ‘silverware’.

The suggestion that we should look at how far we have come when the club has gone through its first decade without silverware since the 30s is somewhat of hallow one. More so given that the club has had two of its best sides in that time.

The spend narrative has always been a misguided one - the club even its its current position doesn’t have the capacity to compete in this arena. We haven’t needed too - we have built one of the best squads in Europe in recent years operating a low spend.

The issue doesn’t rest with the players - the talent is clearly there, a large part lies with the management and clearly my position on our manager is quite apparent . Whilst the majority believe we have a Ivan Lendl to use a tennis analogy ( where despite his failures it is/was only a matter of time before he won a major) to me it’s quite apparent with have a Tim Heman ( a very good player but one not good enough to win major honours). The real interest here is why this is a topic of discussion that 99% of the supporter base absolutely refuse to have.

But let’s put that aside because there is other issues at play. The mentality of the supporter base is also to blame. This endless referencing of failed eras is hugely damaging - I don’t care if you remember the 90s - what relevance does those teams have to this one? We shouldn’t be setting expectations around failed teams and failed eras - it should be based on what we have now relative to our peers.

That’s why this laissez faire approach from so may of our supporters is so infuriating. The notion that we don’t have to believe that this is the time now is quite frankly absurd. The club has built a team that typically comes around once in a generation - it’s gone nearly 30 years since its last FA Cup win, nearly 40 since a UEFA cup win. It has to capitalise on that and it hasn’t - that can’t be disputed.

Tottenham’s history and tradition is rooted in silverware and success - it’s most successful manager openly stated that finishing without silverware represented a bad season and that second best wasn’t good enough. Why on earth so many of our supporters have chosen to ignore our history and traditions at time when we have team capable of wining major honours I simply do not know. It really is an unhealthy situation for the club when it has a supporter base so unwillingly to place any sort of expectations of such a talented side.

Last edited:
And there I completely differ.

You miss the point here we will have periods of failure, no club has had 30 years of constant shining success, not one. Our club has been great and it's been a failure over a log period of time, every team is the same. Try talking someone who has witnessed us being relegated, funnily enough they will also recount the promotion season as being quite special.

Consider this, you're a City fan, the day they returned to the Prem from 1st division, is still probably their most prized memory. One of my most prized was the Crouch goal against City when we got our first run at the Premier League, are these moments meant to mean nothing just because they don't equate to a trophy of note?

The difference is that even now you can't acknowledge success, you can't see that the direction of travel is right. You hyper focus on silverware, you believe we should all be angry at not having silverware, I find it a bit joyless.

The real problem with your outlook is I can't see how you can be happy and support Spurs with that way of thinking, I'd be driven mad if I agreed with your line of thought because, really, nothing the club could do would ever really be enough and even if you were angry and upset about the lack of silverware, the truth is that you have no real effect on what decisions the club makes.

The time isn't now, it doesn't have to be because we're all going to be watching Spurs for a very long time, make of it what you will, I hope it's not as unhappy for you as you make it sound.

I started following us in ‘92 so I don’t really need to talk with someone about other failed eras. Again that was then this is now - it’s pointless to continually reference failed periods more so when they were decades ago. Seriously move on and focus on what we have now and make the absolute most it whilst it is here.

Speak to any City supporter and they will tell you their most prized memory is Aguero scoring in the 93rd minute to win the league beating their rivals in the process.

Success in competitive sport - whether it is football, tennis, Rugby success is defined by silverware, that is thee definitive outcome and terms of measurement. Now you may wish alter the definition of that - the game doesn’t and never will. Does that mean we cannot enjoy other times and moments - no it doesn’t but I will always want ( and expect when we have a team of this standing) to challenge and win silverware. That’s the clubs history and tradition and it’s our jobs as supporters to uphold that.

I suspect you are another one of those ‘90s’ supporters who is endlessly marooned in that failed time. And I get it - how can you ever be disappointed when your reference point is that era - even a modicum of success will be magnified when that is the basis of comparison.

I agree and that's exactly why I have enjoyed Spurs so much over the last few seasons and also understand, that it's not all one way, you think we'll always be a Champions League team?

No is I don’t but I also do not try convince myself that CL participation will elevate us to a level that it simply cannot. One of the primary issues is this obsession with CL football - when the main objective becomes securing additional revenues is it any wonder that doesn’t win anything?

I think that's an interesting one, contrast the 2 occasions, City were a normal team when they came back, their fans cried at the relegations to the Championship and League One, they made it back to the promised land or the moment they won a league they should have because they had the most money of any club. One moment alleviated real years of hardship and the other just met a basic expectation, bearing in mind that Aguero moment never happens if they don't return to the prem in the first place.

They gained promotion 20 years ago - do you think our supporter bases were concerned by our relegation in the ‘70s when we won silverware in the ‘80s? Again you are marooned in another decade - in another time and team. Had we won the league in the last couple of years I wouldn’t have felt the need to reference the ‘90s because what would the point of that be? Are you trying to tell me winning the league would mean more to a supporter who had experienced the 90s than one who grew up in the 00s? I don’t believe that for one second. And again you are being highly selective with the time frames - the point of reference is alway a troubled time. You do this because it’s avoids disappointment - because it is the easy way out. Using failed eras as the reference point will always result in achievement - but achievements that no one outside of the supporter base respects.

Without history, you don't have context, without failure you don't appreciate success for what it is and with a lack of understanding of all of this where you breed a sense of false entitlement, watch a few clips of AFTV and you'll see the toxicity it can create.

A false sense of entitlement? Are you serious? Expectations should be set on the players that we have and we have had one of the most talented teams in the league for the last 5 seasons. What is false is your position because it disregards this and instead centres of historic failures. We could have the 70s Brazil team playing for us and yet the supporter base would claim that we shouldn’t have the expectation of trophies whilst endlessly elevating league placings and semi final finishes. There is a compete disconnect between the talent we have and the expectations that supporters have for this team. In truth you don’t believe we deserve our place with the best.

Back
Top Bottom