POCH BACK

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you now trade Poch for Mourinho

• Take Poch back

Votes: 72 45.9%
  • Keep faith with Mourinho

Votes: 85 54.1%

• Total voters
it's funny I'm totally fine with Poch going to Newcastle and even doing well, cause it means he isn't going to Man United and the more the perception of the "Almighty All -POWERFUL Man united" gets eroded away I'm all for. those cunts need to be taken down a peg.

Generations of taking not just our best players but the best players form anyone who'd dare challenge them in their pomp they instantly used the new media money at the right time to enshrine them as the "successful" team. "The premier league needs a successful Man United" etc fuck them.

bought Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Alan Smith, Berbatov, Tevez, Carrick, Sheringham, Saha, Yorke, Cole etc

fucking cunts. Even now, miles off the League and CL - they still dictate the media narrative - Kane, Sancho, Grealish etc, have their old boys Sky Neville and Keane talking about who THEY'D like to see at United .

Cunts the lot of them, i'd love to see that club fail .
That's not really true though, if they were both after him and he chose Newcastle it would, but they aren't, and if they were I'm pretty sure he'd choose Man Utd.

Deep down Poch will know that the parting of ways was right. The CL final broke the magic spell he cast on the team, they all lost their belief in each other and became a team that could concede 7 goals at home.

But I'd be very happy for him to manage us again in the future, I just believe that it's impossible for any manager to stay at a top club for 5+ years without winning anything. Our players worked very hard for 5 years and ran through brick walls for him, yet they had nothing to show for it despite coming close. The only fix was to change the playing staff or change the coaching staff, because they weren't responding to each other anymore.

If in 10 years time there is an opportunity for Poch to return and work with a totally new squad, I hope it happens. I also hope he wins something in the next 10 years so he gets that monkey off his back. He's too good a manager to have a career without any silverware.

I can’t watch it! I feel bad now for wanting him gone ! :avbcringe:
I didn't want him gone either, but understand why it happened. Not so sure him coming back would be such a great idea. Although we love it when a player/manager seems to genuinely feel the same about our Club as us, it doesn't necessarily work out in terms of success.
I will always thank the footballing gods that we had Poch when we did and appreciate everything he did for us; his efforts should not be belittled by people who thinks he was a failure because he did not win a trophy.
However, he had a team that was more than good enough to capture silverware, so there has to be a question mark against his ability to take that final step in producing a winning team.
His behaviour after the Final wasn't the best, and it's as if he was pushing for the sack. It's like a guy who is getting a little bored with his other half, thinks it will be a good idea to have a fling and when he gets dumped, realises the grass isn't always greener.
(Not putting all the blame on Poch for it all going tits up, every department from the chairman down has to take responsibility fro our deterioration, which started before the CL Final.)
I wish him well in his endeavours, but not in the PL, it would hurt too much to see him do well at another Club in England.

it's funny I'm totally fine with Poch going to Newcastle and even doing well, cause it means he isn't going to Man United and the more the perception of the "Almighty All -POWERFUL Man united" gets eroded away I'm all for. those cunts need to be taken down a peg.

Generations of taking not just our best players but the best players form anyone who'd dare challenge them in their pomp they instantly used the new media money at the right time to enshrine them as the "successful" team. "The premier league needs a successful Man United" etc fuck them.

bought Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Alan Smith, Berbatov, Tevez, Carrick, Sheringham, Saha, Yorke, Cole etc

fucking cunts. Even now, miles off the League and CL - they still dictate the media narrative - Kane, Sancho, Grealish etc, have their old boys Sky Neville and Keane talking about who THEY'D like to see at United .

Cunts the lot of them, i'd love to see that club fail .

THIS.
I would love a fair play rule that puts an end to this kind of bullshit from every club.

I didn't want him gone either, but understand why it happened. Not so sure him coming back would be such a great idea. Although we love it when a player/manager seems to genuinely feel the same about our Club as us, it doesn't necessarily work out in terms of success.
I will always thank the footballing gods that we had Poch when we did and appreciate everything he did for us; his efforts should not be belittled by people who thinks he was a failure because he did not win a trophy.
However, he had a team that was more than good enough to capture silverware, so there has to be a question mark against his ability to take that final step in producing a winning team.
His behaviour after the Final wasn't the best, and it's as if he was pushing for the sack. It's like a guy who is getting a little bored with his other half, thinks it will be a good idea to have a fling and when he gets dumped, realises the grass isn't always greener.
(Not putting all the blame on Poch for it all going tits up, every department from the chairman down has to take responsibility fro our deterioration, which started before the CL Final.)
I wish him well in his endeavours, but not in the PL, it would hurt too much to see him do well at another Club in England.

What's 'success' - is getting to a CL final not successful enough for you? We lost the final because after 30 secs some clown stuck his hand up in the pen box and the opposite cheated by kicking the ball at his hand to take advantage of a ludicrous law. There are a million and one things that could have happened but did or didn't - thats life, you win some and lose some. It's not failure.

What follows then is half of season of understandable anti-climax from players who had given their all and a bunch of self-righteous fans who 'demand' silverware because somehow they need it to feel good about their lives and so we sack our best manager since Bill Nick - someone who should (and would) have built a dynasty like Wenger or Ferguson.

The day we sacked him this club lost a small part of its identity as it drifts towards becoming just another corporate money-sucking machine - 50 years a fan and Ive never been more ashamed of the club. And half the fans cheered his sacking.

What's 'success' - is getting to a CL final not successful enough for you? We lost the final because after 30 secs some clown stuck his hand up in the pen box and the opposite cheated by kicking the ball at his hand to take advantage of a ludicrous law. There are a million and one things that could have happened but did or didn't - thats life, you win some and lose some. It's not failure.

What follows then is half of season of understandable anti-climax from players who had given their all and a bunch of self-righteous fans who 'demand' silverware because somehow they need it to feel good about their lives and so we sack our best manager since Bill Nick - someone who should (and would) have built a dynasty like Wenger or Ferguson.

The day we sacked him this club lost a small part of its identity as it drifts towards becoming just another corporate money-sucking machine - 50 years a fan and Ive never been more ashamed of the club. And half the fans cheered his sacking.

We still had 90m to win that CL final against a Liverpool that failed to show up.

Genuine question... Why do you think we underperformed in all the finals we played under Poch?

yeah i will never forget that last season at WHL, we finally started to dream again, and the run to the CL final i thought after city and Ajax it was written in the stars, after years of hurt we would win the greatest prize in football, but the occasion seemed to much , and i dont think i will ever get over that night! But it was Poch who made us dream again, but he just couldn't complete the final hurdle , he is still a young manager though, but as much as i love him seeing us win nothing with the greatest squad of players i have ever witnessed leaves a black mark next to his name, but then he did it all on a shoe string budget, its a hard one thats for sure.

We could get to 100 champions league finals but if we lose them all, then unfortunately it means fuck all, second place is just the first loser, and until we see that as a club and as supporters then nothing is going to change. I think thats half the trouble with us, we see coming second as successful and feel we should all be happy just for getting to a final, i want the club and the team and the fans to think losing a final is a disaster, that is a winners mentality and as a club its something we lack.

Edit - and regarding the penalty, if we had scored in the first minute do you think we would have gone on to win? I dont think we would have done, had we made it 1-1 in the second half then i think we would have gone on to win.

Deep down Poch will know that the parting of ways was right. The CL final broke the magic spell he cast on the team, they all lost their belief in each other and became a team that could concede 7 goals at home.

But I'd be very happy for him to manage us again in the future, I just believe that it's impossible for any manager to stay at a top club for 5+ years without winning anything. Our players worked very hard for 5 years and ran through brick walls for him, yet they had nothing to show for it despite coming close. The only fix was to change the playing staff or change the coaching staff, because they weren't responding to each other anymore.

If in 10 years time there is an opportunity for Poch to return and work with a totally new squad, I hope it happens. I also hope he wins something in the next 10 years so he gets that monkey off his back. He's too good a manager to have a career without any silverware.
100% agree. I love the man but it was the right thing to break and I think that all parties involved think so as well. The project had hit the figurative wall when we could not win the final so it was best for all parties to break off.

I hope Poch finds his mojo again during this break, that certain something that made him special and able to take rough diamonds and make them stars. Half of his appeal is his ability to be competitive without being a check book manager.

Then I hope he has a nice spell at another club (fuck off Man United) and I will warmly welcome him back one day.

I have been critical of him post break but it is not out of hating him. Just being critical.

Last edited:

Probably one of the best TFC posts of all time.

tenor.gif

I too felt the sickening shame of seeing so many of our fans turn against the man who gave everything to my club and gave us moments of pure magic that will live with me forever.

As you rightly say. The club dropped its pants and revealed it's true colours.

Greed and Profit won the day. To Dare is To Do went out the window with Poch

Probably one of the best TFC posts of all time.

tenor.gif

I too felt the sickening shame of seeing so many of our fans turn against the man who gave everything to my club and gave us moments of pure magic that will live with me forever.

As you rightly say. The club dropped its pants and revealed it's true colours.

Greed and Profit won the day. To Dare is To Do went out the window with Poch
Greed and Profit won that day? If only Levy went out and hired one of the biggest serial winners in the game the day he sacked Poch! :harrysmile:

Agree with everything you say mate. If Poch had been properly backed in the transfer market he would have gained the trophies. Instead he kept turning water into wine on a shoe string squad. Yes he made mistakes but we all do. But he was a classy manager who put spurs on the map. I'm gutted he is gone and hope fans wake up and realise that the problem is Levy. If he would have added three experienced players to the group when we were at our top we could have crossed the line. Instead he did not buy one player and now the chickens have come home to roost.

Agree with everything you say mate. If Poch had been properly backed in the transfer market he would have gained the trophies. Instead he kept turning water into wine on a shoe string squad. Yes he made mistakes but we all do. But he was a classy manager who put spurs on the map. I'm gutted he is gone and hope fans wake up and realise that the problem is Levy. If he would have added three experienced players to the group when we were at our top we could have crossed the line. Instead he did not buy one player and now the chickens have come home to roost.
We bought in Sessengon, Ndombele and GLC the window before he got sacked.

Back
Top Bottom