Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He has a level head. I'm hoping he has learnt from the experience. No shame in stepping back into the Academy. I hope he sticks around and is integrated into the first team coaching staff, if and when is the right time. We needed one of us to steer the ship for a few weeks. He did that and didn't rock it in the process.
OR

I hear there is a vacancy at Southend !

you can't coach not to panic under pressure
i was suggesting coaching how to defend, you can also teach how to pass the ball, Sanchez moves forward with the ball stops then passes the ball but his legs feet in wrong position
Might have to argue with that first point. Coaching is largely creating muscle memory and conditioning behaviours in certain situations. It's making sure your body knows what to do, even if you don't. The panic doesn't take hold when you have a 'downhill' route to take. Coaching should be about getting the player to that point in ALL scenarios, which is impossible in some cases. Maybe this is one case you're referring to.

I'd go as far as to say that these problems are caused by the poor coaching. Ledley, as great as he was, might not be a good coach. Studies have shown that there's zero correlation between ability and management/coaching ability in the same domain.

Last edited:
He's Ryan Mason, not Charles MANSON!

I get the feeling that IF Poch comes back, Mason stays (in some capacity)
As long as he has no say on who plays, I don't mind. He clearly plays favouritism.

Unless of course Levy told him to "showcase" certain players to help a summer clear out. Then his hands were tied. But shame on Levy for doing that.

I'd go as far as to say that these problems are caused by the poor coaching. Ledley, as great as he was, might not be a good coach. Studies have shown that there's zero correlation between ability and management/coaching ability in the same domain.
If anything, the correlation is negative.

Wasn't that the story about Hoddle? That he was a miserable manager because he was so much more talented than the players that he didn't know how to instruct them or relate to them.

Wasn't that the story about Hoddle? That he was a miserable manager because he was so much more talented than the players that he didn't know how to instruct them or relate to them.
That makes a lot of sense. What you really want is someone who turned themselves/was turned into a great player by great effort.

What seems to work badly is good players turned managers who aren’t smart enough to see the difference. Shearer, Hoddle, for example.

Think Kane would be a good coach, in this regard.

Last edited:
Do you actually pay any attention to what is said in press conf? Players are injured and unfit, so will not get selected. Other players have been completely frozen out by the dinosaur and it has been imperative that they are reiterated into the team.
Your hate for Mourinho has made you not see things in a rational way.

Henry has had similar struggles apparently with turning his own playing ability into coaching.

Conte also describes himself as the worst midfielder in the Juventus side he played in. But has turned out to be a splendid coach.

That makes a lot of sense. What you really want is someone who turned themselves/was turned into a great player by great effort.

What seems to work badly is good players turned managers who aren’t smart enough to see the difference. Shearer, Hoddle, for example.

Think Kane would be a good coach, in this regard.
Mind you, Kevin Keegan was one of the former type of players; guess he made a career of management alright, but it was a bit of a mixed bag.

Your hate for Mourinho has made you not see things in a rational way.
ho has made you not see things in a rational way.
Our players did NO FITNESS sessions under Mourinho! There was no Sports Science under Mourinho!

This is what any manager post-dino has to deal with. At Utd he actually closed down the sports science dept.. thankfully he didn't get to do that in Hotspur Way. It has taken OGS 1.5 seasons to get the Utd players fit enough to compete properly.

Your irrational hatred for Mason has prevented you from even entertaining the most basic of facts that our players were arguably the most unfit in the league.

Our players did NO FITNESS sessions under Mourinho! There was no Sports Science under Mourinho!

This is what any manager post-dino has to deal with. At Utd he actually closed down the sports science dept.. thankfully he didn't get to do that in Hotspur Way. It has taken OGS 1.5 seasons to get the Utd players fit enough to compete properly.

Your irrational hatred for Mason has prevented you from even entertaining the most basic of facts that our players were arguably the most unfit in the league.
His attitude to sports science was almost as inexplicable as bringing on Sissoko when we were a goal down. I couldn't (wouldn't) believe it for a long time.

The whole 'elite sporting gods worth millions in paychecks' is a much easier sell when they bust their nuts to look the part (in action, as well as selling the shirts).

Watching them trundle round for the last hour was probably the hardest thing to take after 5 years of Poch.

His attitude to sports science was almost as inexplicable as bringing on Sissoko when we were a goal down. I couldn't (wouldn't) believe it for a long time.

The whole 'elite sporting gods worth millions in paychecks' is a much easier sell when they bust their nuts to look the part (in action, as well as selling the shirts).

Watching them trundle round for the last hour was probably the hardest thing to take after 5 years of Poch.
I think all managers over the past couple of seasons had to be mindful of the loads placed onto players, so it goes someway to explain the shit that we've been watching from 90% of the games played across Europe in COVID times. But yeah, to be one of the worst of those 90% didn't sit well with me.

All the top pressing sides are way, way down on previous seasons but watching his Chav & Utd teams plod about was bad enough (I'll never forget a video of the Utd team doing a rondo session that went viral because they looked like 5yr olds doing it) but seeing us looking so dead was horrible. It actually was more evident in the games under Mason against Leeds and Villa as Mason was trying to get us to be less risk-averse and play higher up the pitch, we couldn't catch their players!!

It still beggars belief that he would be obsessed with using the word "press" in all of his filmed team talks!!! He honestly had no idea.

I think you can coach how not to panic under pressure, but if your predecessor has unconsciously been the first person to instigate such panic and he has done it for 18 months it takes time
It depends a lot from the energy you transmit in everything you do and say

194037203_2920225941578404_8690465874451832638_n.jpg

it really was Mason's mates :dierno:

Back
Top Bottom