The Once-Mighty Spurs vs Mancs - Sat 30th Oct, 5:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hugo being thrown under the media bus apparently...
Nuno nowhere to be seen..... Some fans refusing to leave; assumed to be sticking around to give him pelters in the press area.
Airfixx Airfixx ,Mate, are you coming around to the fact that our owners are a pair of opportunist parasites with no interest in football, or are you still of the opinion they're doing a fine job at one of the biggest clubs in the country?

Listen. it's ok to admit you've been wrong, you know.
I, and I'm sure many others would have the utmost respect if you came out and admitted you'd misjudged them after all. Many others have done so and feel liberated.

Please. .Come to John

hugging-kiss.gif

Those protests were embarrassing because we were playing alrightish at the time and were mainly due to the proposed breakaway ESL. As we slip further down the table whilst being fed this diatribe of football, the protests will inevitably get nastier.

Yep, we are in a shit state and anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves.

The United result was likely regardless of other things but the overall state of the squad - fine, in many respects, but the commitment and desire and apparent coaching- poor, is breaking us.

I think there are some relatively easy points to pick up but we are 2 or 3 clubs below us going on a run from being in real trouble.

There are numerous issues at present. Kane an obvious one and Ndombele. Santo is not adding value and nobody in the squad has a consistently good level.

What's worse is the board/Levy make bad decisions and seem to act like some posters on here. Don't get another striker because they would not want to sit on the bench. Don't go for Potter or a young coach with a philosophy because foreign coaches and even ones justcaacjed by a team below us are available or cheap.

We have to turn that corner from getting it wrong all the time. Eventually and maybe it has, it catches up with you.

In 2016/17 I was watching by far the best Tottenham team I have seen in all my fifty years of supporting the Club.It is truly astonishing how far we have fallen in less than five years.
I will never boo the players no matter how poorly we play, I am there to support the team , not to further erode their confidence.
However I fully concur with the anger vented at Levy and Enic. From the wonderful position we were in five years ago we had a glorious opportunity to kick on and establish ourselves as a giant of the modern day game.That opportunity has been completely squandered with poor managerial and player recruitment (and an inability to move players on) Levy must accept responsibility for these consistent failings.His solution to the Mourinho debacle?-bring in Paratici and Nuno.Seriously??? And don’t even get me started on Steve Hitchens-a sniveling yes man who has brought precisely zero to the table.
And for this we pay extortionate ST prices ( and they removed the first five Cup games many moons ago)
Sadly, perhaps, I will never be able to stop supporting Tottenham Hotspur (the team and the Club) it is too deeply ingrained in my DNA. So it’s the Europa Conference for me on Thursday evening followed by a trip to Everton. Levy and Lewis do not deserve that support and rest assured I will shed no tears when they eventually cash in on their investment (for that is all it ever was) and sell.
COYS!!!

Last edited:
I was talking to the Old man after the match, he said he hasn't felt this depressed about the club since '77 when we were relegated.
It got me thinking about the successful managers we've had in the past and it struck me, virtually all of the success we've had in the past has been under British managers, I think Wendy is the only foreign manager we've had that's won a pot.

So I'm all in for Potter. If the club has accepted that we're now in a rebuild that may take years, then bring in a Brit with the CV that shows he has all the tools to do that and do it the Tottenham way.

That's a bit of a daft logic you have going on there. Spurs success came in the era before foreign coaches so that's the reason why, not because they're British.

That said, our squad has no identity at the moment. IMO, our best couple of years under Poch (who's not British) were when we had 5 or so England regulars in the team every week.
Those players turned up and fought.
Now Dier has lost it, Dele has lost it, we've sold Trippier, Walker, Rose and Kane is a useless sack of shit.
The foreign players seem to care more about making sure they're fit for international duty than putting themselves on the line for Spurs.

We're just a total shell.

Tottenham Hotspur strikingly awful in gruesome home horror show against Manchester United​

Kane’s poor form may be his own fault but joyless coach is to blame for Son’s sudden slump​

Alyson Rudd
Sunday October 31 2021, 12.00am, The Sunday Times

Above the new Tottenham Hotspur megastore there is an enclosed Perspex case inside of which, in huge hologram form, the game’s chosen line-up revolves somewhat menacingly.

It is reminiscent of a scene from Blade Runner and as such is unnerving. Ridley Scott’s film is, of course, a dystopia, a peek into the future where, yes, there has been progress, but at what cost?

Which is how some Spurs fans feel about their sleek expensive stadium. It is an edifice that has been put before player purchases, before style. You cannot throw caution to the wind when you have spent £1 billion on a new home that necessarily demands both Premier League and Champions League participation. Tottenham’s involvement in the nascent, and therefore not esteemed, EuropaConference competition is not a suitable fit at all, which piles even more pressure on how they perform domestically, not that their head coach appears to have noticed.

Nuno Espírito Santo yesterday became the first man in charge of Tottenham to lose five of his first ten Premier League matches since Christian Gross. The Swiss, whose nine months at White Hart Lane are not fondly remembered and who is famous mostly for his brandishing of a London Underground travel card, was sacked in September 1998. If the former Wolverhampton Wanderers head coach is to last as long, his team’s personality and results need to perk up.
This was, after all, the Philosophy Derby. Neither manager had been offering the fans nor the neutrals what they want, indeed expect, from both clubs and so there was the potential for rebirth. It was not Nuno who grasped it.

The present malaise is best personified by Son Heung-min, who is like a character from a misery memoir, the one who keeps smiling, keeps trying, no matter how cruel their father is, nor selfish their siblings. It is a privilege to be his coach, not least because the South Korea international is the ultimate team player. No matter how fêted Harry Kane has been, no matter how many of Kane’s goals and best performances have been due in large measure to Son’s influence on the game, the 29-year-old is content to let his team-mate take the plaudits.

Kane has been below par this season and that is widely considered his own fault for allowing his failure to secure a transfer this summer to preoccupy him. If Son has been less influential then it is widely considered to be the fault of Nuno. Son’s body language reveals him to be forever alert, always committed.

It was Son who had Spurs’ best chance before Cristiano Ronaldo gave United the lead and perhaps you could conclude that he missed because he was too keen, too bound up with the grandeur of the occasion, and perhaps with being given too much to think about by the coaching staff.

It is, surely, a form of cruelty to rein in a player who was never one to forget his defensive responsibilities.

Nuno has uncomfortably quickly become a head coach synonymous with being a party pooper. This is because Tottenham play as if fun is a commodity under strict rationing. Unfettered joy is not, one suspects, a trait that the Portuguese covets nor truly grasps. Which was a shame because few clubs had suffered quite as miserably as United this past week and to have displayed a collective, tangible joie de vivre could have been the last straw for a beleaguered team. Instead, the home side allowed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s players to cheer up far more quickly than anyone could have predicted.

This was also the Masochist Derby. Some among both sets of supporters would have settled for abject defeat if it meant the manager was sacked.
It all began with encouragement as it is, after all, difficult to host United and not want to inflict defeat, but the mood changed early in the second half, for two reasons. The home fans saw no sign of fun or confidence and they were baffled when the sprightly Lucas Moura went off.

The magnificent Tottenham stadium, in the end, provided the perfect backdrop for a once mighty team to strut their stuff. The holograms on the outside looked the more imposing version of Spurs.

I saw this as a pivotal game for Nuno.
For Nuno to sub the hard working and dangerous Lucas to bring on the pointless donkey that is Bergwijn clearly shows that he just doesn’t get it.
That single move, more than anything else, clearly shows that Nuno has to go.

Just watching MOTD and have just seen KWP beat a man and create a chance!
WTF
Sorry for the obtuseness but seeing Davies et al be so negative I’ve lost the ability to follow a thread.
The team look frightened to take a chance. Individual players had fear instilled in them by Mourinho’s methods and this is now compounded with boos from the supporters.
Short term - sports psychologists and support from the crowd.
Medium term - a manager who is allowed to truly follow his own football beliefs (Nuno has never really played in this style or formation before)
Long Term - To dare is to do
COYS

We didn’t register a single shot on target you wind up merchant prick!!! What the hell are you on about ? I swear your main purpose on here is just winding up posters. Either that, or you actually believe the tripe you post, which is extremely alarming.
Are you going to blame Dier and Davies for those goals? United came through exactly where Romero should have been. On the 3rd goal he was walking at the touch line. You could see after Greenwood’s shot went in that Dier turned to Romero and shouted “where were you? ”

Wouldnt surprise me went for parker unless poch becomes available. Nuno simply has to go. Lost all london derbies and embarrassing losing to solksjaer. I reckon nuno will be fired 2moz. Its untenable. Kane has been a disgrace as well.

That was the earliest I have ever left a game in 50 years of attendance. I wanted to leave at H-T but thought I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Mistake.
I’ve never left early before but when Rashford scored I had to go; sitting right next to the Utd fans became intolerable. I don’t mind taking a bit of stick but having stuff thrown over you (some kind of liquid - could have been beer, or piss, who knows?) with the stewards seemingly oblivious, was too much. Also had to alert two Utd supporters sitting in front of us that they were in the wrong place and weren’t welcome; thankfully they didn’t return after half time. One of the dozy cunts was wearing his Utd top under his coat!

Back
Top Bottom