Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jobs for the (British) boys
Harry Redknapp has perfected his ‘white noise for hire’ schtick – getting paid twice for essentially saying the same things to the Evening Standard and the Daily Telegraph in the last few days – namely that British bosses do not get a chance in English football. Boo-hoo.

‘Another week in the Premier League, another managerial casualty and further proof of how hard it has become for British coaches to get a top job in England,’ begins his column.

We will stop you there (for the first of many times): Tim Sherwood’s sacking is proof only that Tim Sherwood was sh*t at his job. Carry on…

‘Tim is someone I have a lot of time for. He is enthusiastic and has strong opinions.’

Which of course is exactly what you need to thrive as a Premier League manager; a keen and arsey Mediawatch expects to get a call about the Villa job this week.

‘For the vast majority of British managers, the only way to manage at a Premier League club is to get promoted and, even then, it is very difficult to progress further.’

Delicious lack of irony there while talking about the sacking of a manager who somehow got two Premier League jobs with no previous managerial experience. As pointed out before by Mediawatch, Steve McClaren and Garry Monk also have Premier League jobs without ever being promoted into the Premier League.

‘There are only seven clubs that at the start of the season you would say were stabilised in the league and not at threat of relegation: Manchester United, Woolwich, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur. How many have a British manager? None.’

Which sounds like a very good case for foreign managers to Mediawatch.

‘I would like to see some far more British boys get an opportunity to manage a big club and see what they can do.’

Like David Moyes at Manchester United, Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool and Tim Sherwood at Tottenham? We saw exactly what they could do, Harry.

‘Tony Pulis would never have managed in the Premier League unless he had got promoted with Stoke City.’

He’s absolutely right; Pulis would not have been a Premier League manager unless he was successful as a manager.

‘Rémi Garde is now looking massive favourite for the Aston Villa job but, with the greatest respect, why? What’s he done?’

Won the French cup, reached the last 16 of the Champions League and the quarter-finals of the Europa League. You’re welcome.

‘How often do British managers get an opportunity to manage in Italy, Germany or France?’

How often do British managers learn another language and apply for jobs in other countries?

‘All the other clubs, on a bad season, can drop into it as we have seen this season at Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle. As a manager that obviously puts you at risk.’

Or they can thrive like West Ham (who replaced a British manager with a foreign) and Leicester City (who replaced a British manager with a foreign).

‘Not many British managers have had a chance at those top seven clubs but, of those that have, I think we have more than held our own. Sir Alex Ferguson is obviously a one-off but look also at the job Moyes did at Everton.’

And definitely don’t look at the job Moyes did at Manchester United.

Mediawatch: Who thinks Rooney outplayed Martial? - Football365

Harry Redknapp has perfected his ‘white noise for hire’ schtick – getting paid twice for essentially saying the same things to the Evening Standard and the Daily Telegraph in the last few days – namely that British bosses do not get a chance in English football. Boo-hoo.

‘Another week in the Premier League, another managerial casualty and further proof of how hard it has become for British coaches to get a top job in England,’ begins his column.

We will stop you there (for the first of many times): Tim Sherwood’s sacking is proof only that Tim Sherwood was sh*t at his job. Carry on…

‘Tim is someone I have a lot of time for. He is enthusiastic and has strong opinions.’

Which of course is exactly what you need to thrive as a Premier League manager; a keen and arsey Mediawatch expects to get a call about the Villa job this week.

‘For the vast majority of British managers, the only way to manage at a Premier League club is to get promoted and, even then, it is very difficult to progress further.’

Delicious lack of irony there while talking about the sacking of a manager who somehow got two Premier League jobs with no previous managerial experience. As pointed out before by Mediawatch, Steve McClaren and Garry Monk also have Premier League jobs without ever being promoted into the Premier League.

‘There are only seven clubs that at the start of the season you would say were stabilised in the league and not at threat of relegation: Manchester United, Woolwich, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur. How many have a British manager? None.’

‘I would like to see some far more British boys get an opportunity to manage a big club and see what they can do.’

Like David Moyes at Manchester United, Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool and Tim Sherwood at Tottenham? We saw exactly what they could do, Harry.

‘Tony Pulis would never have managed in the Premier League unless he had got promoted with Stoke City.’

He’s absolutely right; Pulis would not have been a Premier League manager unless he was successful as a manager.

‘Rémi Garde is now looking massive favourite for the Aston Villa job but, with the greatest respect, why? What’s he done?’

Won the French cup, reached the last 16 of the Champions League and the quarter-finals of the Europa League. You’re welcome.

‘How often do British managers get an opportunity to manage in Italy, Germany or France?’

How often do British managers learn another language and apply for jobs in other countries?

‘All the other clubs, on a bad season, can drop into it as we have seen this season at Villa, Sunderland and Newcastle. As a manager that obviously puts you at risk.’

Or they can thrive like West Ham (who replaced a British manager with a foreign) and Leicester City (who replaced a British manager with a foreign).

‘Not many British managers have had a chance at those top seven clubs but, of those that have, I think we have more than held our own. Sir Alex Ferguson is obviously a one-off but look also at the job Moyes did at Everton.’

Mediawatch: Who thinks Rooney outplayed Martial? - Football365
What a deluded cunt

I'd feel for Sherwood if he had an ounce of modesty about him.

Everything about him screams of a bloke having won the lottery to manage in the PL despite having little ability, and the evidence that he could keep Villa up over the course of 38 games is minimal to the point of non-existent. Managers like Pulis or Allardyce might not be easy on the eye but they have the tactical acumen to do just enough, and better in some cases. Sherwood simply doesn't.

Imagine if he wasn't British (better yet, imagine he wasn't English), the press would have going for him in a big old way.

I'm all for young English managers being given opportunities but at the very least let's have them promoted from the lower leagues.

I think that's his major problem in that most good managers start off at a lower league club and learn their trade, SAF for example.

Tim was Levy's stop gap until he found someone else and I think Tim knew this but he did well last year keeping Villa up and getting them to a cup final and then saw his team decimated from underneath him.

Yes he's an arrogant cunt sometimes but we'll hear more from in the future!

Don't understand all of the venom being directed towards him!

:sherwoodwtf:

And definitely don't compare the resources Moyes had to the cash made available to LVG!

He's yet to impress me at OT and that Manx Derby was a bore fest!

Scary photos tho!

I think that's his major problem in that most good managers start off at a lower league club and learn their trade, SAF for example.

Tim was Levy's stop gap until he found someone else and I think Tim knew this but he did well last year keeping Villa up and getting them to a cup final and then saw his team decimated from underneath him.

Yes he's an arrogant cunt sometimes but we'll hear more from in the future!

Don't understand all of the venom being directed towards him!

:sherwoodwtf:

I think 'venom' is a tad harsh when quoting my message but you subsequently call him an arrogant cunt....

I think 'venom' is a tad harsh when quoting my message but you subsequently call him an arrogant cunt....

Yes it was

Apologies but wasn't referring to your post, just generally!

And I did say that Tim 'can be' an arrogant cunt.

A bit different to calling him one!

Yes it was

Apologies but wasn't referring to your post, just generally!

And I did say that Tim 'can be' an arrogant cunt.

A bit different to calling him one!

Although, let's face it - he is...

I don't dislike him as such, I just think it's daft that he thinks he is so good when he isn't.

His arrogance is poisonous. He has an air of 'been there, done it' about him. I remember seeing an interview with him shortly after his Villa appointment, sat in his office with his feet up on the desk, chatting like Danny Dyer and behaving like David Brent.

He hasn't an ounce of professionalism about him.

His desire to promote youth talent is admirable, but he doesn't have the experience or know-how to grow them into a team and get the best out of them. He just throws them in the deep end, hopes they swim and then happily takes all the credit.

He also seems to think that this gives him licence to alienate senior players, driving a divide between the dressing room no doubt.

Villa are horribly run, but I have no sympathy for him. He was (apparently) turning down offers from clubs left, right and centre waiting for the right job - he chose to take on Villa. He knew the deal, we can all see what's happened there the past 5+ years, he cannot claim to have been taken by surprise when he couldn't sign players or control players leaving.

Sitting in the stands away at Benfica when we needed to win cost him any semblance of respect I had for him by that point from a Spurs perspective.

He'd do himself a favour by coming out saying he needs to gain some experience in the Championship/Football League before taking another Premier League job. I think it'd gain him some respect, repair some of his reputation but also it'd actually do him the world of good to step down a rung or two on the ladder.

Sadly, I feel his sheer arrogance will not allow him to, and he will continue to insist he was capable of not only saving Villa but returning them to the days of winning European trophies, and that his next job should be a top 10 team at worst as he's 'proved himself as a top coach'.

I await his seat on Goals on Sunday to see if he says any different.

Be interesting to see if a foreign manager gets the job and is then able to get anything out of this Villa side. If that happens it proves Shewood didn't know what he was doing. If nothing changes it proves he didn't do too bad. My opinion has always been Villa deserve to go down, they don't take been in the Premier league seriously enough and I'd rather watch a Norwich who want to be there than watch villa.

His arrogance is poisonous. He has an air of 'been there, done it' about him. I remember seeing an interview with him shortly after his Villa appointment, sat in his office with his feet up on the desk, chatting like Danny Dyer and behaving like David Brent.

He hasn't an ounce of professionalism about him.

His desire to promote youth talent is admirable, but he doesn't have the experience or know-how to grow them into a team and get the best out of them. He just throws them in the deep end, hopes they swim and then happily takes all the credit.

He also seems to think that this gives him licence to alienate senior players, driving a divide between the dressing room no doubt.

Villa are horribly run, but I have no sympathy for him. He was (apparently) turning down offers from clubs left, right and centre waiting for the right job - he chose to take on Villa. He knew the deal, we can all see what's happened there the past 5+ years, he cannot claim to have been taken by surprise when he couldn't sign players or control players leaving.

Sitting in the stands away at Benfica when we needed to win cost him any semblance of respect I had for him by that point from a Spurs perspective.

He'd do himself a favour by coming out saying he needs to gain some experience in the Championship/Football League before taking another Premier League job. I think it'd gain him some respect, repair some of his reputation but also it'd actually do him the world of good to step down a rung or two on the ladder.

Sadly, I feel his sheer arrogance will not allow him to, and he will continue to insist he was capable of not only saving Villa but returning them to the days of winning European trophies, and that his next job should be a top 10 team at worst as he's 'proved himself as a top coach'.

I await his seat on Goals on Sunday to see if he says any different.

Orson_Welles_Citizen_Kane_clapping_.gif

For me, i think my dislike for him has been exacerbated by the amount of Spurs supporters who thought he was actually the better candidate for the job when Poch took over.

Have any of you fellas seen this article written by John Nicholson on F365, absolutely brilliant bit of writing:

Proper Football Men can be sh*t too... - Football365

Proper Football Men can be sh*t too…

Date published: Monday 26th October 2015 10:57

And so another Proper Football Man bites the dust, as Tim Sherwood walks away from Aston Villa and back into a 1970s episode of the Sweeney involving a stolen Ford Capri, smoking in bed and a fight in an abandoned warehouse full of empty cardboard boxes.

Timothy was the original inspiration for my PFM idea, back when Jamie Redknapp was pushing him on live TV to get the Spurs job. We were invited to believe Timbo was deserving of that gig because he was a “proper football man” as though we would all know what that meant, and as though this in itself was an all-encompassing qualification for one of football’s big jobs.

Since then, I’ve worked PFM (via the weekly Footy on TV column) into a whole concept which embraces, not just football, but everything else about life. Fiercely anti-intellectual, it is slightly xenophobic, a little paranoid it is being done down, it over-rates itself, it can be a bit nasty and it laughs over-loudly in the face of anything, or anyone, sensitive or nuanced. And that’s just for starters.

Sherwood is great fun for the Premier League soap opera, but we shouldn’t weep for him too long because he will be coming to a sofa on our TV very soon as a pundit, I’m sure. He will do his geezer gurn for the camera, squeeze a leg and be vaunted as a prince amongst men who was done down by a foreign owner, rubbish foreign players and faceless men who bought all them players he didn’t want. And he’ll also, according to the Birmingham Mail, trouser £2 million as pay-off. That is money for nothing, even if it is not chicks for free…though, for all I know, it may well be that too. Yet you can be sure that he will be painted as a victim in some quarters and talked of, fundamentally incorrectly, on every level, as ‘a good young English manager’.

And many of us will look on, slack-jawed in disbelief. Both self-referential and self-pitying (he claimed he was making himself ill in order to manage Villa) he gives the press ‘boys’ some good quotes. A lot of them like him and looking like you’ve woken up in a shopping trolley after night with Reidy on the shoe polish, turps and Brut 33 smoothies, makes for good press photos.

But let’s be honest. Tim isn’t any good, except as a comedy character. Let’s get this right, if Tim was foreign, he’d get kicked from pillar to post by the English media as a ridiculously under-qualified man who made a fool of himself on a weekly basis. I mean, they do that to Manuel Pellegrini and he’s actually won things and is top of the league.

Yet the PFM paranoia that the British manager is being discriminated against goes on, completely against the facts, facts which we highlighted here on the site last week. The British manager is not being discriminated against. He has had and he continues to have, lots of opportunities at all levels, high and low and everywhere in between. The leagues are stuffed full of British managers.

For some reason, by and large, the punditocracy can rarely bring itself, except in extremis, to say a British manager is doing a poor job. Those who are part of the PFM group-think, prefer a ceaseless pretence that bad results are due to the foreign owner, the foreign players, the player recruitment committee, or basically anyone who isn’t the manager.

Rarely a week goes by without some august British ex-player or manager bemoaning the lot of the indigenous manager. In their universe, the honest Brit is being elbowed out of management by the man who the owners see as a sexy foreign. That word, ‘sexy’ is actually used, perhaps revealing more of what the speaker thinks, than those they are critiquing. Clubs are forever, in that awful Glenn Hoddle phrase ‘going foreign’, as though foreign is all the same thing. Everything not British is essentially interchangeable to the PFM.

It’s a bizarre hypnosis, and the people who promote and publish this guff really need to take a hard look at themselves. Weirdly, it isn’t just one or two oddballs, it is probably the majority of British media at one time or another, so it must be judged as playing to the masses.

Even this weekend, if you watched Sunday Supplement you’d have seen John Richardson (Ricco, to ‘the boys’) going on about how ridiculous it was that Tim was under pressure and that he hadn’t even bought any of the rubbish players. Other less blinkered contributors pointed out that there’s no excusing losing so many games and, oh, he had almost certainly wanted quite a lot of the summer signings, especially the English ones. You know, those English ones who are also playing rubbish under Sherwood. He didn’t seem convinced.

It seems as though there is a strain of opinion which wants to always excuse the sh*t Brit and always sees the non-British involvement in our football as some sort of invasion or denial of their human rights. While there’s obviously an audience for this xenophobic garbage, it’s time that they were held to account for this total nonsense.

I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking of football as a global culture, largely because it is. Thus it is a many-hued palette from which to paint. It matters not the birthplace of the participants, only what they bring to our enjoyment. Right?

No. not right. The wide xenophobic streak which runs through our culture can barely contain itself in seeing discrimination at every turn and it reacts very negatively when this is pointed out to them, perhaps by saying how much they admire at least one foreign manager or player. Yeah, Bergkamp, he was good.

It needs saying loud and proud that many of us don’t care about nationality of player, nor of managers, not because we’re all frilly-pantied liberal bed wetters, but because we gain nothing by being like that. We don’t think Brits ‘deserve more time’ than a foreign, any more than we think the term ‘good young English manager’ should be applied to anyone who is already 46. We look first at what the man brings, not where he’s from. We’re not bothered if our clubs are managed by someone who, in a classic PFM term, ‘knows the club, inside out’ because we know those are meaningless words which bear no scrutiny, but which are trotted as though it is insider-only wisdom.

Sherwood did a poor job, not because he’s British, not because of foreign owners, not because of foreign players, but primarily because he’s Sherwood, and, let us never forget, Sherwood is a proper football man.

All British managers would be better starting in the lower leagues, just because they played the game does not mean they will automatically make a decent manager.

And even then, some of them are not just good enough, look at Paul Ince.

But then I find the appointment of managers baffling, look at Steve McLaren, saw his Derby side blow up last season, failed at national level then is appointed Newcastle manager and people wonder why Newcastle are struggling!!

Perversely I would like to see a pulis or pardew get a job like Chelsea, where money is no object to see how successful they would be.

All British managers would be better starting in the lower leagues, just because they played the game does not mean they will automatically make a decent manager.

And even then, some of them are not just good enough, look at Paul Ince.

But then I find the appointment of managers baffling, look at Steve McLaren, saw his Derby side blow up last season, failed at national level then is appointed Newcastle manager and people wonder why Newcastle are struggling!!

Perversely I would like to see a pulis or pardew get a job like Chelsea, where money is no object to see how successful they would be.

They probably wouldn't know what to do with it. Look at Rodgers. Admirable job at Swansea. Goes to a club like Liverpool and buy a Swansea level players.

Back
Top Bottom