Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tim Sherwood claims Aston Villa's summer signings were ALL decided by owner Randy Lerner
Villans' sacked boss has told how they went about their transfer business as he emerges as favourite to succeed his former assistant Chris Ramsey at QPR

Neville Williams
Aston-Villa-v-Swansea-Premier-League

Combination: Sherwood confirmed he did have have an input on signings, but never the final say
Tim Sherwood has claimed all Aston Villa’s summer signings were decided by a committee – with owner Randy Lerner having the final say.

The ailing Midlands club spent £52.5million on 12 new players and Sherwood’s disagreements with the policy of buying mainly youngsters was among the factors leading to his sacking last month.

Speaking for the first time since his dismissal, he revealed on Dubai-based TV station BeIN Sports: “There was a committee, which I was part of — so I had a say in the players I wanted to bring into the football club.

“We ended up signing 12 players, although there was a lot more players given to the committee than 12, and we ended up with what we ended up with.

“I believe that those players in time will be good players for the football club, but when you bring in a lot of players from other countries that have not played and experienced the Premier League before, the competitive nature of it, it is going to take time.

“I certainly had a say, but the final say? It was more of a combined collective decision and ultimately the man who puts his hand in his pocket is the one who has to make that decision.

“Randy Lerner has spent an awful lot of his money at that football club for a long, long period of time.”

Michael Regan - The FAhttp://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article5792265.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Aston-Villa-v-Woolwich-FA-Cup-Final
Live and Lern: The Villa owner will let new boss Remi Garde decide on ins and outs

Meanwhile, Sherwood remains the hot favourite to become the new manager at Championship side Queens Park Rangers.

Sherwood was sacked by Villa two weeks ago and has since been replaced by Remi Garde.

READ MORE: Aston Villa are mismanaging their way into the Championship

He is now set for a return to management at Loftus Road as the successor to Chris Ramsey, who was himself sacked recently - and who had been his assistant when he was Spurs boss in the 2013-14 season.

Neil Warnock has been put in temporary charge of the Londoners, but Sherwood remains high on the wanted list.

He is currently trying to sort out a compensation deal with Villa, though.

So he was expecting Villa to give him complete autonomy on transfers when his only experience was 6 months as Spurs manager...........hardly a rounded knowledge base of the World transfer market.

And, wait! The owner has the audacity to want to sign off deals committing him to multi million pound contracts, the majority of which will be longer than any of the management teams contracts at the outset?.....God help QPR if they are stupid enough to appoint him.

So he was expecting Villa to give him complete autonomy on transfers when his only experience was 6 months as Spurs manager...........hardly a rounded knowledge base of the World transfer market.

And, wait! The owner has the audacity to want to sign off deals committing him to multi million pound contracts, the majority of which will be longer than any of the management teams contracts at the outset?.....God help QPR if they are stupid enough to appoint him.
As much as I loathe the man, I think the article headline is sensationalist as it implies he didn't want the players. He's not slating the club or Lerner at all, he's saying that Lerner has the final say, which surely is true at all clubs? We have a transfer committed and it's obvious that Levy will have the final say on our transfers, so it's hardly new. For once, I don't think weasel boy has said anything particularly wrong...............yet.

As much as I loathe the man, I think the article headline is sensationalist as it implies he didn't want the players. He's not slating the club or Lerner at all, he's saying that Lerner has the final say, which surely is true at all clubs? We have a transfer committed and it's obvious that Levy will have the final say on our transfers, so it's hardly new. For once, I don't think weasel boy has said anything particularly wrong...............yet.

That's exactly what he's doing.

Singing the PFM tune. In the PFM universe, everything is simple and the manager have full control of everything. When an FC isn't run the PFM way, the PFM manager is blameless.

A thought appealing to the SKY pundit panel of ex-pros (who have made it nowhere in managment and coaching themselves), to the older fans who like to think of themselves as seasoned observers of the game and to younger fans growing up with Championship Manager.

OMFG stop doing crack already, F365

Parker: Sherwood better for United than Mourinho

Date published: Tuesday 16th February 2016 4:45

GettyImages.493050020.jpg

Former Manchester United defender Paul Parker thinks Tim Sherwood would be a better appointment at Old Trafford than Jose Mourinho.

Current boss Louis van Gaal has been under pressure for much of the season and speculation over his future has only grown since the 2-1 defeat against Sunderland on Saturday.

Mourinho was sacked by Chelsea late last year and is widely expected to replace the Dutchman at Old Trafford in the summer.

However Parker, who made over 100 appearances for the Red Devils in his five years in Manchester, thinks it would be a mistake to appoint the former Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Porto boss.

“To suggest that [Mourinho] could walk in to a crisis situation at United and turn it around is absurd,” Parker wrote in his Eurosport column.

“That’s something he’s never done in his career, and this really wouldn’t be the time to start. He’s lost a huge amount of respect in the game, and I suspect the players at United hate the idea of him taking over.

“Frankly, given how unhappy the players are right now, they’d be better off bringing in Tim Sherwood between now and the end of the season: someone to soft soap the players, give them a bit of a cuddle, get them feeling good about themselves once again.

“Sadly, as we’ve seen with Tim, those sorts of managers don’t work long term. And United need to start thinking about the long term as soon as possible, because if not they face the ultimate danger: turning into the new Liverpool.”

Back
Top Bottom