Tottenham v. Manchester City (Sun Aug. 15 16:30 BST)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought Son played with his chest pushed out and like he was 10ft tall today.
Was a little worried about him in the first half but he was everywhere. Wanted the ball out wide, in the middle, took corners, held the ball up. I still think he sometimes needs to shoot quicker rather than slow it down but it felt like he was saying "I got this" today, more so than when no.10 has been injured.
He is fast becoming a leader type. As much as i love Kane i really think Son can become a world beater.

Get the fuck in.

I know this was a good time to play City, and they are not at full strength for personnel and form, and they are obviously weakened by having that overhyped wankhorn Grealish in there, but of the last few home wins against City, that was easily the best performance, I’m just gutted we didn’t make more of the many good situations we had.

That was the worst City performance I’ve seen against us.

It would round things off nicely if we could fleece them for 140 million smelladeenies for the ghost of Harry Kane, go and buy a couple of decent footballers, as we’ve seen a hint of today, it doesn’t have to be the death of us.

I like this 433 and the way we applied it, just think we could upgrade a couple of components.

You could apply that and more to us though...... Look at the shit-storm we're trying to ride out and the shit-storm about the team selection before the match. 1st day of the season for us too; not just Shitty.

We deserve EVERY last fraction of that 3 points today.

Respect is due.

So chuffed for the gaffa (all the shite that's been sling his way since he arrived)..... Best possible first day on the job for him.

Last edited:
Nothing stuck with Son today
This did
3326.jpg

I just think that it puts him in so much space to take advantage of his dynamism and threat. Another bonus is his movement frees up the middle for Lucas to attack through.
Alli’s a fucking bumbler, but until we get another guy to play up there with the Kane dough, I’d shove him up there, at least we’d have a physical presence and Son and Moura can bounce off him.
Not too sure he provided much physical presence in his time there either. But my fear is putting Son and Moura in more defined roles would see Moura going back to his less influential self. If he can't attack the middle then he is of less benefit. In my mind Dele would clog that area just like Harry.
It also would have the added bonus of getting Alli out of that L8 and putting Lo Celso in there instead.
You make a compelling argument Monsieur. Sold!
What did you make of it today?
Nothing. Said I was gonna sit back and not get to taken by the proceedings and get an idea of Nuno's game, new players, etc. didn't work. Tanganga put in a tackle and I was sucked in. The fucking effort, the fight (everyone). Exactly the performance to exorcise the memory of Mou's turgid nonsense and exactly the team to bring it out of us. Beyond that it was all emotional for me, no analysis.

What a performance! Do we still need a RB? I guess you can't make a decision based on one game but if we bring Tomiyasu in, we can't simply bench Tanganga. He was immense.

Same with starting Romero. Who do you drop today? Both CB's were excellent, especially Sanchez.

Bergwijn was good despite his miss but I can see him being replaced by Gil or Damsgaard, if we sign him (or by Sonny if we buy a Striker, keep Kane).

Great performance and let's get behind NES, Paratici and the boys!

Like a Hollywood script. Underdog team’s best player being courted by the defending league champion opposition and doesn’t play. Underdog wins without him and the champs go goalless.

Levy must be wanking it about now.

When Sonny scored and did his knee slide, the look on his face was "I got this". He is completely ready to be the man here.
Scares me a little tbh. Son has always been more hot and cold than Kane. I'm not sure Son is going to keep scoring even when playing poorly, like Kane does regularly.

Out of all our wins against City in recent years, this one feels the most "deserved" the ones under Jose felt like we scraped by. Poch had a few that were 50/50 wins but this one I felt like we were really the better team most of the match.
You seem to have forgotten the match in Guardiola's first season, we absolutely tore them a new one there.

Having said that, since PG has established himself yes, this actually does feel like we've gone into a game and matched them.

Predictible line-up. Shame that there is no Rodon. City's line-up is not top notch neither, Ake and Mendy are starting for them. UP THE FUCKING SPURS!
In the middle of all the melting, I told you lads. Best time to play City is in the first 3 games.

Back
Top Bottom