"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
The Daily Fail not being sensationalist in any way whatsoever...

Spurs could face FA backlash after fans continue 'yid' chants on Yom Kippur

Tottenham fans defied an FA warning by chanting the word ‘yid’ - on Yom Kippur, the holiest day in the Jewish calendar.

The term is used as a badge of identity by Spurs supporters but rivals have used it as a form of anti-Semitic abuse.

The FA last week described the word as ‘offensive’ and said its use could be a criminal offence.

Fans have warned the FA before that they won't stop the chant, with a supporters trust saying that they don't believe anyone uses it in 'a malicious way'.

Chants of ‘we’ll sing what we want’ rang around White Hart Lane in yesterday’s 2-0 win over Norwich.

No announcement was made to stop the ‘yid’ chants - and stewards did not intervene.

The Daily Fail not being sensationalist in any way whatsoever...

Spurs could face FA backlash after fans continue 'yid' chants on Yom Kippur

Tottenham fans defied an FA warning by chanting the word ‘yid’ - on Yom Kippur, the holiest day in the Jewish calendar.

The term is used as a badge of identity by Spurs supporters but rivals have used it as a form of anti-Semitic abuse.

The FA last week described the word as ‘offensive’ and said its use could be a criminal offence.

Fans have warned the FA before that they won't stop the chant, with a supporters trust saying that they don't believe anyone uses it in 'a malicious way'.

Chants of ‘we’ll sing what we want’ rang around White Hart Lane in yesterday’s 2-0 win over Norwich.

No announcement was made to stop the ‘yid’ chants - and stewards did not intervene.

Oh do fuck off! Making us out to be the bad guys here.
Here's an idea, why not listen to footage from Everton Chelsea yesterday and see what Chelsea fans were singing about spurs fans 'on yom kippur'

I didn't watch it myself but I'll be amaZed if there wasn't at least one nasty anti Semitic chant coming from the away end.

Question : Bernard Manning - was he racist?

Was he allowed to tell anti jewish jokes because he was jewish - so not deemed to be racist ?
Can he bombast everybody else without be labelled a racist or was he totally out of order?

Everybody that chanted the 'Y' word 'on yom Kippur' are they being disrespectful because they are not Jewish?
(regardless of reason).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_humour

Taking the 'Y' word fits correctly into the above definition. BUT apparently we are NOT a Jewish club 2013?

On Friday night, 3 of the people I was out with were dirty gooners (2 of them I met for the first time). Obviously football was talked about during the night. At the end of the night after saying goodbye etc. I got roughly 'nice to meet you, shame you're a Yiddo' etc.

They don't know whether I'm jewish or not, and obviously only meant it as a reference to Spurs and not jews.

Right or wrong I'm not debating.

Not even sure why I've posted in this thread. Just thought I'd put my two pennies worth in.

So for that, you're all welcome :ledley:

As a Muslim, I feel I must put my view out there.

I does not matter what you call yourselves, if you believe it is correct then fine. If you feel it's offensive, then that's all right too. Everyone is different, everyone has different reactions. I've never called a Jewish person "Yid", mostly because I was unaware of the term before I started supporting Tottenham Hotspur. I've found it more popular used with being a Spurs fan, rather than being a Jewish person. But, I started supporting this club not because of it's Jewish heritage, but for the love of the players, the club, and the shirt.

What I'm trying to say, is take for example the Australians. Originally, all white Australians were thieves and prisoners brought in from England as most of you probably know. My few Australian friends are divided on it. One wears at as a badge of pride, the other as a shameful and sometimes offensive reference.

In a way, I believe the FA is correct. We want football to stay about the football, not about politics or religion etc. For many (including myself), it is a way of escape from life, where people I haven't even met come around a television and start to support our beloved Spurs. But if that is the Yid Army, the faithful Spurs fans who are proud of their Jewish heritage, then the FA have no right to interfere with the culture and or heritage of the club.

Hope it makes sense.

On Friday night, 3 of the people I was out with were dirty gooners (2 of them I met for the first time). Obviously football was talked about during the night. At the end of the night after saying goodbye etc. I got roughly 'nice to meet you, shame you're a Yiddo' etc.

They don't know whether I'm jewish or not, and obviously only meant it as a reference to Spurs and not jews.

Right or wrong I'm not debating.

Not even sure why I've posted in this thread. Just thought I'd put my two pennies worth in.

So for that, you're all welcome :ledley:

I get that from goon mates and mates who support other teams. Like you say, in this context it just means Spurs fan, and I know the people in question are not anti-semetic. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

I get that from goon mates and mates who support other teams. Like you say, in this context it just means Spurs fan, and I know the people in question are not anti-semetic. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion.
my mates call me a yid cunt and it doesn't bother me at all, they know I'm not jewish, just another way of calling me a Spurs cunt

Back
Top Bottom