Palace v Spurs 11th Sept 12:30 - Selhurst Park

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really dont understand the audacity why they call themselves Crystal 'Palace'. Ground is a shithole. Hardly a palace.
You may already know this but it is named after the Crystal Palace 1851 exhibition hall which was relocated to the area. Large structure with huge glass panels, unusual for the time. Burned down in 1936. The team was started long before that and played in the general area. Again, apologies if this is something that's already common knowledge.

A number of our players played 3 games over the International break.

A make shift back 4, made up of 1 debut; and 2 guys I don't think have ever played center back for us.

Royal looked like he wasn't prepared for the EPL physicality; and a few times went down for the foul which wasn't given.

I do not understand, at 1-0 down why Nuno didn't bring on Ndombele. It was clear that our problem was moving the ball through midfield.

Our passing is atrocious. I do not understand why we cannot move the ball safely around the pitch. Winks was the best of our midfield 3 - with a pass success of 93%. Skipp and Holjberg didn;t manage a single tackle between them the entire game.

I am not sure Kane won a single ball played to him.

You may already know this but it is named after the Crystal Palace 1851 exhibition hall which was relocated to the area. Large structure with huge glass panels, unusual for the time. Burned down in 1936. The team was started long before that and played in the general area. Again, apologies if this is something that's already common knowledge.
It’s a very well known building in architectural history as it was extremely innovative for it’s time.

In any event, a literalist approach to team names is unwise...

Bolton and Wolverhampton aren't known for their wandering skills, Brighton and West Brom don't represent some poetic medieval notion of England as a whole...

Nor for that matter do we play with heated metal talons on our boots, as was pretty clear on Saturday.

Last edited:
Unbelievably ENIC we’re under huge pressure to get this summer right and they fucked it massively again. How long can they continue to fuck this up.
As long as people keep buying tickets, buying merchandise and keeping their membership, ENIC can go on forever - their number 1 aim is to make money and enrich the chosen few at the top.

A draw vs Chelsea will be a miracle .. they will have 2 days more to rest their squad.

Umm... we play ECL and they play CL.

Ok, I am not sure if there will be any overlapping players from one XI to another.

For sure Sanchez, Romero, Lo Celso will not play in ECL. And Tanganga cannot play against Chelsea.
That is 4 positions.
Add on Gollini in goal + 2 alternative fullbacks in Davies and Doherty. That is 7.
I really doubt we would put fresh-off-injury player Rodon in position to start 3 games in 7 days. So I would not be surprised if we see Davies-Tanganga-Paskotši-Doherty backline.
Winks-Ndombele in midfield
Scarlett up top.
Now question is about AM positions. I guess here we will see some overlap.

But from starting XI we are talking about 2-3 players that would match.

All that being said - positive result against Chelsea would be quite surprising still.
Just not because of fatique :D

Everyone should be cautious. Espirito Santo is a solid manager, a likeable guy. But he was sacked by a club that finished lower than us. We also clearly wanted a dozen or so managers before he was even considered.

He can only be seen as a downgrade from Mourinho, however much spin anyone tries to put on it. I think he'll end up as a stop-gap. A manager we'll have for a couple of seasons at most until some better one's are available down the line. We won't really excel under him, neither will be get considerably worse.

After failing on our targets he was a safe option. A steady Eddy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Much of what you said could be said about Poch, once he was appointed.

Not saying that he will be the same in terms of results etc.

And then there was super-high-profile-option in Mou, who we all seen how it worked out.

Certainly with around 7 minutes to go it was worth risking another one to throw on the two lads one back and we have our tails up for a few minutes at least just leaving things the way they were was pretty defeatist by our manager .I know little chance but he just accepted it by his actions .

I genuinely think we should be fearful of how badly this season could go.

4 league games, we've managed 1 goal from open play.
Two 3rd rate European games and we failed to score or have a decent chance in one.

Anyone that believes there's been some miraculous turnaround in Dier and Sanchez are headed for a seriously rude awakening.
If neither Poch nor Mourinho could get their brains working, what makes you think NeS can?

If we're putting our faith in Tanganga, Skip and the new players who have barely kicked a ball in the PL, then we really are as deluded as our rivals think we are.

Why not??
West Ham 'pulled it back' from 0-3 down with 7/8 minutes left against us last season...

Why does going 2-0 down mean the end, with 7 minutes left to play....?
Oh, maybe 'cos it's expected when it's US!
West Ham played well that match and 3-0 wasn't really a fair reflection.
We didn't play well at all for any of that match (Palace yesterday)
At no point did we do anything other than give the ball away, panic and get back to scrabble it away.

Last edited:
Anyone that believes there's been some miraculous turnaround in Dier and Sanchez are headed for a seriously rude awakening.
Although you don't want to believe it, the overwhelming consensus is that they were excellent in our first three league game. Not OK-ish, excellent.

As for your absolutist prediction, you simply don't know. See also the "Nuno will be gone by Christmas" nonsense and the assorted Mystic Smeg's who have gazed into their crystal balls and foreseen defeats against Chelsea and Arsen*l.

To paraphrase an old Yiddish proverb, God laughs at those who make predictions

Much of what you said could be said about Poch, once he was appointed.

Not saying that he will be the same in terms of results etc.

And then there was super-high-profile-option in Mou, who we all seen how it worked out.

I think he'll do alright. Alright being the key word there. I see him as a perfectly decent manager, but he's not someone that will get the club to where we would all like to be. Saying that, even Klopp would struggle with the twonk that owns the club.

A number of our players played 3 games over the International break.

A make shift back 4, made up of 1 debut; and 2 guys I don't think have ever played center back for us.

Royal looked like he wasn't prepared for the EPL physicality; and a few times went down for the foul which wasn't given.

I do not understand, at 1-0 down why Nuno didn't bring on Ndombele. It was clear that our problem was moving the ball through midfield.

Our passing is atrocious. I do not understand why we cannot move the ball safely around the pitch. Winks was the best of our midfield 3 - with a pass success of 93%. Skipp and Holjberg didn;t manage a single tackle between them the entire game.

I am not sure Kane won a single ball played to him.

I've noticed in quite a few PL games this season that the home team has been able to virtually kick the away team off the park, I think due a mixture of:

a) the relaxing of the rules on boderline fouls
b) the players and refs responding to/being influenced by a noisy home crowd

We benefitted from it vs City.

A lot of teams will struggle away at Palace, who are a physical team, if the matches are reffed in the same way as Saturday.

Although you don't want to believe it, the overwhelming consensus is that they were excellent in our first three league game. Not OK-ish, excellent.

As for your absolutist prediction, you simply don't know. See also the "Nuno will be gone by Christmas" nonsense and the assorted Mystic Smeg's who have gazed into their crystal balls and foreseen defeats against Chelsea and Arsen*l.

To paraphrase an old Yiddish proverb, God laughs at those who make predictions

They were simply lucky that chances, such as Traores, were wasted, sparing them a goal against and a fault leading to it.
Whilst it's neithers fault we were shit against Palace, they will let us down over and over this season. It's not if their brain farts cost us, it's when

They were simply lucky that chances, such as Traores, were wasted, sparing them a goal against and a fault leading to it.
Whilst it's neithers fault we were shit against Palace, they will let us down over and over this season. It's not if their brain farts cost us, it's when
Your first sentence is simply wrong
As for your second, I refer you to the final sentence of my reply

This one game has left me so demoralised and pessimistic for the whole season.

Nuno made so many obvious errors, and did not make changes quick enough either.
I'm also seriously considering Kane's commitment, whether Emerson can cope in PL, and whether Skipp can progress the play enough.

Only small bright spots were Rodon solid, Tanganga solid before he lost his mind, and Reguilon defending well in crucial moments (but still lacks confidence when passing).

Still annoyed by this performance days later. We were fucked from the start with that god awful, utterly stupid team selection, compounded by Nuno's refusal/inability to change it and admit his cock-up.

I need to see something remotely attacking against Chelscum regardless of the result.

Your first sentence is simply wrong
As for your second, I refer you to the final sentence of my reply
So it was good defending by Dier, giving the ball away out of position, then good defending by Sanchez to get passed and then left for dead by Traore?
It wasn't a combination of Traore being as much use as Sissoko when through on goal and a superb bit of reaction from Lloris to get out and shut down the angle?

Back
Top Bottom