Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the same train of thought we've seen trotted out for a couple of years now... I don't mean to be rude, but it's been answered before and you don't have to read much to answer it yourself.

Poch understands what is going on at the club. It's well-run, profit-making and sustainable. He's been given funds that are available when profits are up and at the moment, we are hip-deep in on of the most expensive and impressive stadiums in world football. Poch arrived knowing that, he wanted a shot at something bigger and he's over-delivered on expectations, but that doesn't change the financial situation much and certainly not for the £50m average cost of players that would 'improve the team'.

So, no, he's not getting the funds he would ideally get (who the fuck does? If all managers did all the time the prices would be even more insane than they are!).

Poch bought in to a plan. His personal glory is tied to this club. He doesn't want to be 'yet another manager at a massive club', he wants to *create* a massive club.

The plan is to move into new stadium, get more funds thanks to more seats and US marketing and then spend some cash. Right now, it's tight purse strings and making good with what we've got. He knows it, he's doing it and we're solid 3rd right now despite injuries and not buying players. If we continue improving through next season and win a major title, he won't just be a good manager, he'll be a legend. He already is in my eyes, but he won't be in his own until he's delivered this club glory. I don't expect he'll leave until he does.

Do we deserve him? Yes. Does he deserve us? Yes. It's a great match at a great time.

:pochsmirk:

Hes gone in the summer imo. He seems set on briningg up his “future” every 5 minutes, never a good sign. I suppose he feels hes done what hes can with this squad and if levy isnt prepared to back him to challenge for a title then he’ll move onto biggrr things.
I use the disagree button very sparingly, but we have to put up with this rot from the media, really fed up with reading comments like this from our own supporters. I'm pretty pessimistic by nature, but after Wednesday night, I just can't see him going anywhere, certainly not at the end of this season.
Yes I know this can come back to bite me, but for once I have faith in the manager and the chairman to do the right thing for our club.

Thank you Poch for the performance yesterday, thanks for trusting young players like Mason and Kane, thanks for getting our players fitter (Chadli looks like a new man this season), thanks for giving us tactics but not being too stubborn and showing some flexability.

I hated the boring football of AVB I make no bones about it and Sherwood was just a temp manager. Where ever we finish this season I am enjoying it so thank you Poch.

Last edited:
Remember that Southampton guys post?
Saints fan in peace.
To those of you bitching and moaning about MP let me give you some context.

I am and have been a Saints fan for over 30 years. Season ticket holder since I was 7 (With the exception of two separate years - when kids and finances dictated) and have seen players and managers come and go, which is part of the game.

I've seen players like Channon, Ball, Shilton, Wright, Keegan, Williams, Wallace, Shearer, Hoddle (You lot again) Walcott, Bale, Chamberlain etc. etc. all leave.
Not one of those departures hurts as much as this one.
I genuinely think you now have one of the best managers in the league. He is completely different from anything else you have seen. Not all players will survive his arrival - Including big names, but for those of you that are moaning..... take yourselves back to the first half at White Hart Lane against the Saints...... We battered you, humiliated you and then gave away a bizarre goal and let you back in. Your squad won't let that happen - More maturity, depth and quality.

Enjoy the ride - And you will get one.

"It is an easy decision."

"When you are happy and when you feel the love of the people and the potential of the club is massive. Why change?"

"I believe in the club, the players and staff. For that I say yes to staying here and extending my contract."

"I believe in the project, in the club, the energy and the history and I want to stay here for that."

"[I will sign] maybe Tuesday or tomorrow, it depends on my lawyer now. I think it’s a good moment to communicate my future's here”

ChNfymmW4AAu8TZ.jpg:large

:dierpochhug::pochohshit::pochwtf::pocheyes:

Can't believe some of the opinions expressed here (although everyone is entitled to hold them). Poch has been our best manager since Keith Burkinshaw and has progressed us in the right way. There will always be moments of frustration but there has been more "good" than "bad" since Poch took over. I certainly don't want someone else at the helm, especially at this stage. He deserves to lead us into the new stadium and I would love our supporters to get right behind him and the players who want to stay with us.

Pochettino said: "I am honoured to have signed a new long-term contract as we approach one of the most significant periods in the Club's history and be the manager that will lead this team into our new world-class stadium.

"This is just one of the factors that makes this one of the most exciting jobs in world football and we are already making plans to ensure we continue to build on the great work that everyone has contributed to over the past four years.

"Daniel and I have spoken at length about our aspirations for this football club. We both share the same philosophies to achieve long-term, sustainable success.

"This is a special club - we always strive to be creative in the way we work both on and off the pitch and will continue to stick to our principles in order to achieve the success this Club deserves."

From Football365...
Tottenham, grinding it out
Honestly, I get it. I understand that every time you praise Mauricio Pochettino a raft of replies must follow sarcastically asking what he has won. That’s despite Chelsea and Manchester City being the only English clubs to win a trophy last season, and despite both of those clubs having far greater budgets than Tottenham. Oh, and it’s despite Tottenham finishing in the top three in each of the last three seasons, something no other club can match. There is apparently a new law where managers can only be praised for winning trophies. Maurizio Sarri, Eddie Howe, Chris Hughton et al will be furious. Sorry lads, you know the rules.

I understand too that it must lead to replies from Woolwich supporters saying that Arsene Wenger was criticised for doing the same in the late 2010s. That’s an argument that ignores several things: 1) Wenger wasn’t really criticised for that; the criticism came later. 2) That Woolwich period came after competing for titles, whereas Pochettino took over from Tim Sherwood. 3) There is far more competition at the top of the Premier League than ever. The rich got richer and further ringfenced their cabal.

Tottenham have now enjoyed their best ever start to a Premier League season, despite the stadium farce, a lack of any transfers over the summer and an injury crisis fuelled by fatigue. Tottenham had more representatives in the World Cup semi-finals than any other club in the world, and less depth than any other club in the top six. What’s more, Tottenham have now won five straight away league games, 11 of their last 14 and over the last nine months only Manchester City have a higher points-per-game total away from home.

Nothing epitomises Tottenham’s rise in fortunes under Pochettino, a manager who is now responsible for more than a quarter of his club’s away wins in Premier League history, than the anger praise of him provokes. A Tottenham manager is actually getting flak for his side’s display during an away win. Questions are being asked of Tottenham’s ability to stay ahead of Manchester United, a club that has a net spend £435m higher than them since Pochettino took over. Take a step back and appreciate that. Those saying ‘but how many trophies’ are either being wilfully blind or wilfully obtuse.

This banging on about Poch should have played Lucas in the final, not getting tactics right from the start, untimely substitutions, etc etc, is starting to get on my thruppennies.
I have never known any manager to get it right all the time. All I know is that he has been the best appointment in recent times and he has given us some desperately needed stability.
My feeling is that he "gets" us, he had quite a lot of input to the new stadium and his emotion at the semi final still moves me to tears. Despite some of the remarks he has made in various press conferences, I still think he has a very strong relationship with Daniel Levy.
I don't always understand his decisions and will have a little moan when it doesn't work out. However, more often than not, Poch does get it right, otherwise we wouldn't have achieved so much.

Saints fan in peace.
Very interesting reading all the different opinions on Poch on here.

Seems like every player, manager and coaching staff at Southampton is linked to another club at the moment, which I guess means we are at least doing something right, but it doesn't half do my head in!

We will of course lose key people, but for my money the single most important (Over and above Lallana, Shaw, Lovern etc.) is Poch.

I've been following Saints for over 30 years home and away this guy is the real deal and just a breath of fresh air in the Premiership.8th is a very credible finish, but it could have have been higher. We were a quality striker away from something very special and it really is down to him.

No idea what way this whole thing will pan out, (And I fully understand the footballing pecking order), you lot are a much bigger club, but don't just assume he will join if offered the chance.
As long as you don't get him ..... Good luck for next season.

Last edited:
Yes, we should have finished 3rd, but surely we should have finished higher last season, especially after losing 5-1 to a 10 man Newcastle team that had already been relegated. It's strange how Poch lovers appear to forget that, but keep bringing up Redknapp's last season. That isn't to say that Poch hasn't done a half decent job, but the football watched under Redknapp was pure joy, and what's more Redknapp actually had a personality

Here's what you are forgetting:

- Pochettino didn't disrupt our season with his own court cases for tax evasion
- Pochettino didn't refuse to sign a contract because he wanted an international job, then tell everyone how he would be the best for it, then start asking Brendan Rodgers to be his assistant for his new job he'd not been offered, then write newspaper columns about what he'd do in this new job he'd not been offered
- Pochettino didn't then demand a new contract after the "new job he'd not been offered" wasn't offered
- Pochettino didn't then unsettle the players by saying they'd all leave if he didn't get a new contract
- Pochettino didn't also slag off the board for having a contract that had a release clause after all the support they'd given him regarding the above
- Pochettino also didn't spend most nights as a Pundit/Columnist whilst all this was going on

and more importantly, Pochettino didn't miss out on CL football which, in turn, caused a chain of events that potentially lead to us losing Bale.

Don't get me wrong, I like Harry, but to say that Pochettino is in any way at fault for last season in the same way that Harry was in 2012 is ridiculous.

If you think Poch has no personality, you need to put the effort in. Plenty of videos about. Just because he's not hanging out the side of a Range Rover every 5 mins doesn't mean he has no personality.

Back
Top Bottom