Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hugo's made about 15 mistakes this season alone.
I can't remember Sissoko making any
Classic sammytroll - he has now picked a less popular player to support relentlessly and show what a true uber Spurs fan he really is. Well untiui the next average Dele game when he’ll default back to calling him a useless cunt. Only a deluded fool would argue Sissoko is good enough for us - then again you need to scoop ever so low for your predictable trolling agenda

Depends on how you define good enough. Good enough to be a regular starter for us and a given fixture in our first 11? Nah. But he is good enough to be a squad player for us. Every team have these sets of players that operate on a level "below" their given team and come in to plug the gaps when needed. Fellaini is a fantastic example of this. Not your typical United player but he comes on and plays whatever part he is asked to play and does so admirably when needed.
Sissoko is poor, mate sorry. I have nothing against the guy and hope he goes on to have a good career elsewhere but technically extremely limited - basically Livermore with a bit of pace. We left that calibre or player behind 6-8 years ago. Plenty of quality in the market if we need to replace.

Lets not pretend that Sissoko is an infallible player that doesn't make mistakes. Thing is he rectifies them 8 times out of 10 by either regaining the ball or by doing something to disrupt play for the opposition. Hugo plays in a role were mistakes are much more costly.

It's apples and oranges

Sissoko is far from infallible but I'm sick to death of people jumping on the fact he miscontrolled a ball, and saying nothing when Sanchez and Lloris combine to concede a goal from fuck all.

People seem to be patting themselves on the back because they worked out all by themselves that our back up is not as good as our first choice.

FUCKING WELL DONE EVERYONE!!!!

Fucking place is crawling with Steven Hawking type genius fucks isn't it.

Bravo....you all saw that Wanyama is better than Sissoko.

Now in you own words "WE GET IT!!! Why do you have to say it 50 times a day!!!!!!"

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Not saying he’s the reason we didn’t win tonight but what did he really contribute? Not looking to argue with any sissoko lovers, but what’s your opinions?

I can’t see him staying here for much longer, he just seems so awkward on the ball.

I want every player to succeed who plays for us but I just can’t see it happening with him.

:pochfacepalm:

Not being 'down' on Sissoko, but I'm genuinely surprised Winks didn't start tonight after he didn't play the other night... especially after he did so well against them on his full debut last season... kinda woulda made sense to at least try and repeat the trick!

As it was, Dier/Sissoko just wasn't the type of CM pairing we needed tonight, and one I imagine many would have thought Poch would save for Saturday... as it was, I think we all saw that Sissoko's days are probably limited at Spurs... and if Wanyama & Demeble can return soon, and prove full fitness, I imagine Sissoko won't last January...

Shame, 'cos against us for Newcastle a few seasons ago... he looked a fucking World beater...
then again, so did Ruel Fox for Newcastle against us... and look how that turned out!

I think if he's playing well he should be.

Do I think Sissoko is a better footballer than them? No. He's obviously the weakest of the four ability wise. But statistically (though stats aren't everything), he's been better then all of our other central midfield choices. He wasn't good today and I've already said he was poor but the backlash he gets after such a performance is just ridiculous. He didn't cost us a goal, completed 86% of his passes (Which was more than Alli, Eriksen, Kane, Davies, Aurier and the same amount as Vertonghen), yet people will scrutinise him for one moment in the first half where he misplaced a pass to Aurier on the wing.
Winks is young and out with a what I believe is a knock, Dier looks exhausted from playing almost every game and Dembele is getting on a little now but is still a great player.
I just can't see any excuses with Sissoko he plays ok-ish once in a while and all is forgiven

Your putting words into peoples mouths there a little with the first paragraph how do you know no one criticises Winks or Dembele? I've seen people criticize Winks for not playing the ball forwards quite often.

What it comes down to in the end is wouldn't you rather someone else come in and play for us on the wages he's on if we can go for players like Goretzka , Mahrez and Meyer then we should. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to settle for average players when you splash 30 million for them.

Sissoko played because we needed fresh legs after Tuesday. I would have played Winks and not sure why he is not getting on. Missed the MC match when some said Winks had a stinker and he got groans when playing yet another back pass in a previous home match. Has he lost confidence? He must play against Wimbledon. Sissoko is a very limited player that tackles well which is normally needed in a local derby but it was not that kind of match. He plays too many safe back passes maybe because of lack of skill. I do think he try's hard and is useful when we are winning to hold a lead.

If you think Winks and Dembele get more criticism than Sissoko, then you're crazy. I've seen both Dembele AND Winks perform worse than Sissoko this season yet I haven't heard anywhere NEAR the abuse. In fact Kane was FUCKING awful today. Over hit his passes, poor end product and offside far too often yet no criticism (not that I'm particularly bothered, Kane is god).

I would rather someone came in who would improve us, of course. No doubt about it - I think there are loads of players out there who would. But as we don't have those players, I will continue to support Sissoko and back him up when he doesn't play half as bad as some of the other fan favourites.
There you go again.
I never said I thought Winks and Dembele get more criticism than Sissoko and I never said I wouldn't back him as long as he playes in a Spurs shirt. But I do think we should stop making excuses for him. Kane had a legitimate one being ill for the past couple of game, Sissoko does not.
Why you can't just accept that he's not good enough is beyond me.

Like stockholm syndrome you're growing to actually like the player that falls over and can't pass for shit.

There you go again. I never said I thought Winks and Dembele get more criticism than Sissoko and I never said I wouldn't back him as long as he playes in a Spurs shirt. But I do think we should stop making excuses for him. Kane had a legtimate one being ill for the past couple of game, Sissoko does not. Why you can't just accept that he's not good enough is beyond me.
Like stockholm syndrome you're growing to actually like the player that falls over and can't pass for shit.

What excuses have I made for him?

Why does Poch play him against sides that sit back? He’s better when we can counter attack.

Against sides that sit back he’s essentially a rugby box kick. He’ll get you 30 yards further up the field but a turnover is inevitable.

Sorry, I should have said what DOES he contribute as this isn’t the first game. Yes you’re right I shouldn’t scapegoat him, but the result highlights that we are a club capable of obtaining better options in the transfer market. He has his uses coming off the bench but we can do so much better.

Please... Indulge me with an explanation.

Conversely, if we'd won (which is a highly plausible scenario) what comment would THAT have made about our transfer policy?

You might be right, maybe not. I find it difficult to believe that his positioning is what Poch wanted.

Whilst it was obvious he was playing a holding role, some of his positioning was shocking. Covering Aurier is one thing but he was actively taking up the wing back position and forcing Aurier forward into midfield. Then it was Sissoko making the overlapping runs when the ball went into Aurier's feet with back to goal... which is the exact opposite of what you want from Aurier and nullified him in a lot of possession. We needed someone creating opportunity for Aurier to surge *ahaha* from deep.
That's as maybe but that's not the role of a holding midfielder, ever see Dier or Wanyama do that? He played the role tasked by the Manager. He played well in this context. On form is he as good as Wanyama and Moussa as DM? No. I'd have Dier ahead of him too for that role, but as Totti Totti said earlier, he played the role (statistically) better than Dier tonight, Dier misplaced a number of passes, Sissoko only one. (Thought Dier was OK tonight too).

If Sissoko was playing in goal tonight think some people (especially the fella behind me) would have slagged him off for not dribbling the ball up the wing. All I'm saying is, judge him for the role he was played tonight, not the role they thought he was playing (not aimed at you mate).

We have to let people defend certain players if they see fit. I do see the value in Sissokohno myself but surely forums are for discussing this sort of thing. If someone has a different opinion then I can't get mad at them just don't agree with them. It doesn't make em an idiot and vice versa they can disagree that I think Son for example has been 1 of our best players this season , I won't call em stupid just for making a different judgement than me. It's all about opinions for me and the more varied views we have just makes for better discussion / banter but no more than that. The common goal should be supporting the mighty Spurs and hating with a passion the scum down the road

Apprcieate that comment. I don’t rate sissoko at all but it’s good to hear other people’s opinions.... son on the other hand is a talent! So glad we signed him.

He is good on the break but that's it, against a packed defense he is guff.

His positioning yesterday was weird, but he gets picked for a reason, physically he is ridiculous, but technically woeful.

He is not the reason we didn't win, he is not the reason Obiang scored a worldie.

He is good on the break but that's it, against a packed defense he is guff.

His positioning yesterday was weird, but he gets picked for a reason, physically he is ridiculous, but technically woeful.

He is not the reason we didn't win, he is not the reason Obiang scored a worldie.
Against a packed defence Spurs as a whole are "guff". The template for frustrating this Spurs side has been set, and more and more teams are doing it - its down to Poch to sort out, and it's less do to with individual players as the play of the team as a whole. Finishing is woeful - 31 shots simply have to produce more than 1 goal....that isn't down to Sissoko. There's no urgency in our play against packed defences.

Starting to get pissed off with the forum/Twitter fans moaning about why did Sissoko start. Let's see

1) Wanyama is not fully fit yet
2) Dembele is not fully fit
3) Winks has not been great lately, and stood still as that midget Gundogan scored a free header. Spam will rely heavily on set pieces- makes perfect sense to use Sissoko's height.
4) Spam rely on parking the bus then breaking with their fast players, Sissoko is fast enough.
5) How many times have we moaned about losing battles and being overpowered by this lot? Excuse Poch for fielding an athlete to counteract that.

These things happen. 4 points off spam is decent. We were terribly unlucky, that Donkey obiang will never hit one like that again. We should have had a pen or two. No need to blame our attack, defence or even Poch. Shit happens.
Agree with this mate, although after 15-20mins Poch should have pushed up both Sissoko and Dier (no need to make a sub this early in the game), there was only one player left up top and they were unable to find him as we were dominating them. So agree with the selection (people also forget that his turned in some good performances of late, but appear to forget this) and reasons you list but I'd still question the use of two DM's in this game against a side that had no desire or ability to get out of their own half. Doesn't matter who the player is playing the role, just question where the two of them.

Back
Top Bottom