Poch coming back to Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you think Pochettino would be a good choice for our next coach?

• Yes

Votes: 175 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 115 39.7%

• Total voters
Agreed. I think the mourinho saga had proven that the manager selection is mostly a moot point unless you have a squad with quality, and the right balance of energy/youth and experience.
I'd say the Mourinho saga proved that even the most decorated and elite of football managers will fail with an ENIC team and their profit trumps all philosophy.

Makes Poch's achievment all the more remarkable when you think about it.

I'd love to see how the cult react if we appoint Conte and he fails.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong - loved Poch. But towards the end, his interviews were increasingly bizarre, his team selections and in game management were questionable at best & right at the end he looked a broken man. If he came back I’d give him all my support all over again, but would it really be any different? The nearly man with the nearly team. Levy fucked it up by not backing him in those 18 months when we didn’t sign anyone. That was unforgivable as it turned out and it will likely repeat itself unless and until we freshen it up at the club with some genuine investment in quality.
But being in the 3rd tier European competition doesn’t scream out “ambition and success” to many top players or managers for that matter.

I'll never forget how much Ajax slapped us around over those two legs in 2019 (yes yes, they were naive in the final 45 mins and we enjoyed a miracle).

I'd love to see us play like that.
Ajax played Bayern, Real and Juventus in the Champions League that season and they absolutely spanked all three of them.
They weren’t lucky or fluke victories either, they quite literally played them off the park. This is why comparisons to de Boer are so lazy. His teams were hopeless in Europe. The whipping boys of the group.

And of that team ten Hag has lost Onana, De Ligt, Schone, van de Beek, Ziyech, De Jong, quite literally the spine of the team ripped apart and yet they are STILL competitive (very unlucky to be knocked out in the group stages)

The guy is clearly an insane coach. I genuinely think we will regret it for years to come if we don’t appoint him now, because it’s only a matter of time before a really really big club get their hands on him.

I haven’t been here for ages. But my brother works for the Guardian and the sports team have briefed told that Poch is done and to announce it before the 2nd June. I don’t know why the date is important.
Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Fans shitting of Pochettino remind me of gooners disrespecting Wenger.
There's enough absurd revisionist Poch hate around here to fill the ocean, but this isn't fair.

Things ended badly with Poch. We were in a really shitty place, and precisely zero of the issues that fucked everything up have been resolved since.

One IMAGINES him coming back means there's some agreement on what went wrong and how to fix it. One HOPES he and Levy can see this with clear eyes.

But I don't trust Levy on that basis at all, and I can forgive some reasons for not fully trusting Poch either.

I think so.

The idea seems to be that Poch under achieved with a squad of world beaters and should have cleared up with the domestic treble and had us champions of Europe All on the the third smallest transfer budget in EPL.

But when one of the most succesfull managers in the history of football failed and had his pants pulled down by the very same players the narrative miraculously changes and the squad he inherited was actually a load of shite filled with the current word of choice deadwood

People are so deluded. Do they ever take a moment to contemplate the shit they're posting?

Poch got players like Rose playing at 100% for season after season then Rose burnt out and Poch burnt out. The idea we had the fucking Real Madrid team is insane, we had the AVB/Sherwood team mostly. Poch massively overachieved with the players he had but didn’t quite reach the summit and that is held against him by a few fans.

Last edited:
Bollocks. I want Poch to return, but the squad we had in 2016/2017 was insane. Great goalie in Hugo, best fullbacks and centreback combination in the league, more than a respectable midfield with Wanyama, Dembele and sometimes Dier, and a great attack that to this day would still work. If that isn't a title-winning squad, I don't know what is. He performed well that season, it's just that Conte did the impossible with the Chavs.

Yeh right. Dembele was unfit and often on the bench under AVB and Sherwood, Rose was rubbish, Walker a liability, Eriksen hit or miss. The only players pulling up tree’s where Kane and sometimes Verts or Lloris. Infact back then Bentaleb and Mason where two of the most reliable players. He built that 16/17 team it wasn’t gifted to him.

He got those players playing at or beyond what they where capable of. We know it ran out of steam as it would but don’t change history. As for title winning squad we lost to Conte with peak Hazard and Kante, we got 86 points which would have won the title in many seasons.

Just had it confirmed to me that it is all agreed and will be signed and announced after the weekend. #circles

my sentimental side loves the idea. My head says Levy should have backed him instead of wasting money on Jose and Poch isn’t strong enough with the current management.

Anyway it’s done so let’s move on and look forward to next season.

COYS

Back
Top Bottom