Spurs vs Fulham (a) 04.12.13

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair comments, but Berbs isn't as good as Suarez, and who knows whether Berbs would have buckled down like Suarez. I was glad we sold him for the money we got, maybe I shouldn't still be, but I am :)

Yeah you never know how it would've played out but Roman Pavlyuchenko was a bloody awful replacement. Decent player but Berby was on another planet. Would've been lovely seeing Modric playing off Berbatov and Bale flying down the left wing. I'd welcome him back in Jan for a season or two as he's still quality and has alot of the attacking characteristics we're missing in abundance.

Yeah you never know how it would've played out but Roman Pavlyuchenko was a bloody awful replacement. Decent player but Berby was on another planet. Would've been lovely seeing Modric playing off Berbatov and Bale flying down the left wing. I'd welcome him back in Jan for a season or two as he's still quality and has alot of the attacking characteristics we're missing in abundance.
As you say we'll never know, but I can see how you, and many others, may well wish he stayed.

It's worth noting that Berb's money didn't just finance Pav, who definitely wasn't on Berb's level, it also financed Modric too, in the sense that he arrived in the window that Berbs left.

No one asked Berbs to leave, he took it on himself to go into a mighty sulk and force a transfer, for me Levy did the right thing. I don't think Levy would want Berbs back because of the way he forced that transfer, but stranger things ...

The problem with a match like yesterday is it's nigh on impossible to prepare for it as you've fuck all idea on how the new guy will set up. Fulham have some decent players and AVB had no matches to study on how they'd set up. All the scouting of Fulham under Jol goes out the window as they're effectively a new team. Then throw in the fact it's a London derby and away from home and it's about as unpredictable as you can get. Credit were it's due we showed up went toe to toe and created some great opportunities to score, it was a vast imporvement creativity wise on some of the dis-jointed performances we've seen this season. Another big plus is AVB made alot of positive tactical changes that effectively won us the match and wasted no time in doing so. If you can't draw more positives than negatives out of yesterdays performance and result then you need to take a look at yourself.

Solid post.

As you say we'll never know, but I can see how you, and many others, may well wish he stayed.

It's worth noting that Berb's money didn't just finance Pav, who definitely wasn't on Berb's level, it also financed Modric too, in the sense that he arrived in the window that Berbs left.

No one asked Berbs to leave, he took it on himself to go into a mighty sulk and force a transfer, for me Levy did the right thing. I don't think Levy would want Berbs back because of the way he forced that transfer, but stranger things ...

Yeah Levy was in a difficult situation but I wouldn't say Berbs financed the Modric move as Modric was already here and we were actively trying to keep the Bulgarian. I have my doubts as to whether Levy would have him back to but as a purely footballing decision it would make perfect sense. If Berbatov can't get Soldado banging them in then nobody could and he's just about the perfect lone forward.

Yeah Levy was in a difficult situation but I wouldn't say Berbs financed the Modric move as Modric was already here and we were actively trying to keep the Bulgarian. I have my doubts as to whether Levy would have him back to but as a purely footballing decision it would make perfect sense. If Berbatov can't get Soldado banging them in then nobody could and he's just about the perfect lone forward.
I would say Berbs did finance Modric indirectly as we are a trading club and Levy is always looking to balance the books, therefore having spent a lot on Modric and Pav, when that sort of money was on the table for Berbs he took it. We couldn't and can't take the attitude that Chelsea and City can, and just keep players as money isn't a prime issue with them.

Yes Berbs would be great for us footballing-wise, IF he wanted to do the business for us, and IF what happened hadn't happened. But for sure what happened did happen, and so I can't see Levy welcoming him back. It was a great shame when Berbs left, and I wonder if he regrets it sometimes, but he wanted to go to a bigger club, and he got his wish, some medals and a huge amount of money, so overall, I doubt he regrets it too much, if at all.

Craven Cottage, my favorite domestic away day bar none. Last night was without doubt the strangest Spurs support at the Cottage I have ever experienced, the only word I can find to explain it is Bipolar. It was like a verbal war between AVB in vs AVB outs. To my right were AVB outs (in conversation) but VERY positive support for Spurs during game. To my left vocal AVB out, not a single word of support for the team, only words that came out of their mouths were "you don't know what you're doing", and "AVB out". Behind me was "AVB's blue and white army" non-stop very positive and infornt of me was a mixture of all of the above alternating literally from one minute to the next. I am delighted to say the vocal out brigade left in complete melt down on 63 mins, missing our two goals………haha cunts.

As for our performance it was as mad as our supporters. When I saw the team sheet I was pleased with it, especially following the Man U performance, but 20 mins in it was clearly not working. AVB made some positive changes and they worked. Having a drink with my Fulham mates post match and they said that was the 2nd best Fulham performance in 1.5 seasons (they said the best was against Woolich last year when they played with 10 men for 80 mins, they lost that too). Fulham pulled out all the stops, with a new Manager to get behind and their fans were given those fucking clapper things, the result was the loudest Fulham support (still not a cauldron) I have heard at the Cottage.

IMO the player that "lifted" us, the one who was the most spirited, determined, who had the most desire was WALKER!! This boy plays without fear and he never gives up, the positives he brings to the team far out way his weaknesses, he is our most under rated player.

Hugo was immense.
Delighted for Holtby and Vald.

We still have a lot of work to do, both on and off the field. As supporters we should get behind the team regardless of how things are going. For those who want AVB gone that is fine with me but have the conversation amongst ourselves, right a letter to Levy. Fuck it, if you want to chant AVB out you can but vent your anger outside the stadium, before or after the game, but don't transmit the negativity to the players that serves no purpose at all. For me the best chant that rang out was ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK because it covered all factions of the Bipolic support, so let's sing this if things are going shit.

Great to see Beni, what a lovely bloke (sorry can't post my photos for some unknown reason). For a guy who doesn't like football he goes to a lot of games.

You can paint it however you like but we bought Modric with no intention of selling Berbatov at the time. Sure Levy likes balancing the books but we didn't sell Berbatov because we bought Modric or to finances his move we sold Berbatov because he was acting like a complete cunt. I believe we turned a pretty healthy profit that transfer window too if memory serves me correctly.

Best we've played all season, chance after chance went begging until they scored fully against the run of play with an absolute one in a million wonder goal that couldnt be helped. We then carried on plugging away and eventually scored two of the best goals in the history of mankind.

AVB was lauded as manager of the century and all the shitty fans killed themselves in a self sacrifice in AVBs honour as the greatest Tottenham manager of all time.
I miss one game , and its the game of the century dammit. Now your review is suprinsingly different from the newspapers reviews, that's due to their anti AVB agenda isnt it ? Cant see another plausible excuse

Firstly a win is always good and last night was no different. We got out of jail though A-La Bale style.
We were set up wrong, and it nearly bit us on the Arse.
AVB needs to learn about each opposition. 3 DM's is what you might play away to Chelsea etc, not away to a Fragile relegation threatened side.
I don't read into this new manager bollocks, they are still a poor outfit and we should have gone at them from the off.

Secondly, What a top performance from the fans once again.. A great turn out and we didn't let the team down.

Thidly, Lewis Holtby.... Take a fucking Bow Son, what a wonder strike. Gareth Who?????

Sick and tired of negativity to be honest, if you think this shit doesn't seep into other fans and then into the players then you are wrong.

Care to remind us all how you feel about Defoe?
Ok, I will....might wanna check that its not YOUR fault he's so shit in your opinion

If we were a better team during his time at the club his European tally would be far lower than it is
He's been fortunate / unfortunate to play against some really poor opposition over the years

his achievements aren't as great as they read on paper.
Where are his medals won from his great European scoring record?.....
He's benefitted from the ridiculous Europa league group stages.

Defoe hasn't won a single trophy in his time at the club, look how many the 4 above him in the goal scoring chart have won!!

I see the twats on MOTD haven't worked out that the one time we did drop Soldado for Defoe we lost....

What a shame Defoe had to prove his detractors correct, yet again.

Defoe is absolutely perfect if you are looking to round off a 4-0 win at home to Colchester with another couple of goals

Defoe has always scored against shit cup opposition, at club and international level.

imo Some players = Jermain "wannabe World Cup benchwarmer" Defoe

Defoe has proved nothing other than he's still the flat track bully he's always been.

Care to remind us all how you feel about Defoe?
Ok, I will....might wanna check that its not YOUR fault he's so shit in your opinion

If we were a better team during his time at the club his European tally would be far lower than it is
He's been fortunate / unfortunate to play against some really poor opposition over the years

his achievements aren't as great as they read on paper.
Where are his medals won from his great European scoring record?.....
He's benefitted from the ridiculous Europa league group stages.

Defoe hasn't won a single trophy in his time at the club, look how many the 4 above him in the goal scoring chart have won!!

I see the twats on MOTD haven't worked out that the one time we did drop Soldado for Defoe we lost....

What a shame Defoe had to prove his detractors correct, yet again.

Defoe is absolutely perfect if you are looking to round off a 4-0 win at home to Colchester with another couple of goals

Defoe has always scored against shit cup opposition, at club and international level.

imo Some players = Jermain "wannabe World Cup benchwarmer" Defoe

Defoe has proved nothing other than he's still the flat track bully he's always been.

Your life is clearly very exciting today

Back
Top Bottom