Come here to laugh at West Spam

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As I said, they've beaten us 5 times in the league in the last 12 years.. so where are these " loads of gmes" we've fucked up..

1-1 draw at home last year when they had one shot.
3-2 loss in the league cup last year after being 2-0 up.
1-0 loss in 2017 which ended our title pursuit of Chelsea
1-0 loss in 2016 which stopped us going top of the league in March
2-1 loss in the league cup QF in 2013
3-0 loss at home 2013 which was... don't remind me.

West ham give us more problems than any other mid table team (except west brom, who also seemed to believe they could always get a result against us).

It matters because the current reality for Tottenham's team is that West Ham are annoying and screw things up. The opposite is true for the current west ham team. They seem to believe they can get a result out of us, and belief is important.

We struggle in games against west ham far more than we should do, even when we win. To be honest, I'm not bothered about playing them when they look good, because we've fucked up loads of games against them when they've been shit.

It will be interesting to see how they fair under Pellegrini against us.

I think our recent games against them have been tough because Bilić got them fired up and knew they needed to get in our faces and press the shit out of us which we don't like.

The reality is that this game is one of at least six derbies we have to play every year, but unlike Chelsea and Woolwich it is one that we are expected to win every time.

Its hilarious they take the piss out of us for "putting the pressure on" but they revere the "Boys of 86", having regular reunions/books e.t.c. when they came fucking third :dembelelol:

Absolute embarrassment of a club, can't wait till that tinpot stadium finishes destroying them

5ECC4Kh.jpg
I guess at least as a captain he's representative of their fan base

For one it doesn’t sound like he did it very privately if he’s going public on social media. Secondly the club might see it as a conflict of interest - they want/need to be seen as opposing rascism and promoting equality and tolerance, and one of their coaches is publicly supporting a group promoting rascist ideas. I get what you’re saying but it’s not exactly sensible.

Are they? I thought their message was 'against all extremism'?

privately i.e. under the capacity of a private citizen and not as representing the club.

This is not a conflict of interest as they aren't conflicting here, the club could take measures to oppose racism (lol as its the essex nazis but anyway) and an individual within the club could hold racist views. I also think that legally as the FLA aren't considered a racist group by the state and he's not a registered member, then sacking him would cost them a lot of money.
If I was found to make racist tweets or facebook outside of work its likely that I would be fired, this would be even more likely if I was in the entertainment (sorry but in this context it is) industry which needs to keep a particular image.

I think this is the norm in the UK, if his twitter identifiers himself as a coach of WH its even more clear cut. Whether the "Lads" are a racist group is a get out but it does it is a group West Ham would not want to openly be associated with.

It may be different elsewhere but this would be normal in the UK IMO.

If I was found to make racist tweets or facebook outside of work its likely that I would be fired, this would be even more likely if I was in the entertainment (sorry but in this context it is) industry which needs to keep a particular image.

I think this is the norm in the UK, if his twitter identifiers himself as a coach of WH its even more clear cut. Whether the "Lads" are a racist group is a get out but it does it is a group West Ham would not want to openly be associated with.

It may be different elsewhere but this would be normal in the UK IMO.
There's a difference between you making a racist remark and you liking a post by an organization that may be considered racist. There's a degree of proportionality that a court will apply, supporting C18 is not similar to supporting Britain First which is not similar to supporting the EDL.
If you'll be sacked for supporting the lads in social media I'll take them to a tribunal

There's a difference between you making a racist remark and you liking a post by an organization that may be considered racist. There's a degree of proportionality that a court will apply, supporting C18 is not similar to supporting Britain First which is not similar to supporting the EDL.
If you'll be sacked for supporting the lads in social media I'll take them to a tribunal
Ok I was specifically talking about the point you made that :
"privately i.e. under the capacity of a private citizen and not as representing the club.
This is not a conflict of interest as they aren't conflicting here, the club could take measures to oppose racism (lol as its the essex nazis but anyway) and an individual within the club could hold racist views"

so assuming that West Ham do not want to be associated with C18 they may be able to sack him.

https://blogs.orrick.com/employment...-tweets-may-be-a-fair-dismissal-under-uk-law/

The EAT’s judgment in this case offers a very useful insight into how the employment courts in the UK will consider the relevant issues when it comes to decisions taken by employers in response to employee misconduct on social media sites. The decision has the potential to enable UK employers to take more robust action on social media infringements in the future as follows:

1. Where a number of Game stores followed Mr Laws, his “private” Twitter account was not really private;
  2. Given the way Twitter operated (as opposed to Facebook, for example), there was no real distinction between work and personal use of the site – Mr Laws could have, but did not, create separate accounts for private and professional use;
  • Mr Laws did not utilise the restriction settings on his Twitter account, so his tweets were publically available, not least of all to any Game store following him;
  1. Mr Laws knew that he was followed by Game stores when he tweeted and he did not address this – in fact he may have actively encouraged stores to follow him;
  2. An employee’s freedom of expression has to be balanced against the employer’s need to manage reputational risk in its employees’ tweets (and other social media communications);
  3. It was not necessary for Game to show that the tweets had caused offense, only that they were entitled to consider that they may cause offense;
  • The offensive tweets did not need to be about the employer to justify the decision, and it was also not necessary for the Twitter account to identify the employer in question to justify the decision – what was important was that the tweets were offensive, and stores, employees and customers might have read them.

Ok I was specifically talking about the point you made that :
"privately i.e. under the capacity of a private citizen and not as representing the club.
This is not a conflict of interest as they aren't conflicting here, the club could take measures to oppose racism (lol as its the essex nazis but anyway) and an individual within the club could hold racist views"

so assuming that West Ham do not want to be associated with C18 they may be able to sack him.

https://blogs.orrick.com/employment...-tweets-may-be-a-fair-dismissal-under-uk-law/

The EAT’s judgment in this case offers a very useful insight into how the employment courts in the UK will consider the relevant issues when it comes to decisions taken by employers in response to employee misconduct on social media sites. The decision has the potential to enable UK employers to take more robust action on social media infringements in the future as follows:

1. Where a number of Game stores followed Mr Laws, his “private” Twitter account was not really private;
  2. Given the way Twitter operated (as opposed to Facebook, for example), there was no real distinction between work and personal use of the site – Mr Laws could have, but did not, create separate accounts for private and professional use;
  • Mr Laws did not utilise the restriction settings on his Twitter account, so his tweets were publically available, not least of all to any Game store following him;
  1. Mr Laws knew that he was followed by Game stores when he tweeted and he did not address this – in fact he may have actively encouraged stores to follow him;
  2. An employee’s freedom of expression has to be balanced against the employer’s need to manage reputational risk in its employees’ tweets (and other social media communications);
  3. It was not necessary for Game to show that the tweets had caused offense, only that they were entitled to consider that they may cause offense;
  • The offensive tweets did not need to be about the employer to justify the decision, and it was also not necessary for the Twitter account to identify the employer in question to justify the decision – what was important was that the tweets were offensive, and stores, employees and customers might have read them.
That’s rather harsh in favor of the employer. But in this case we are talking political speech which gets stronger protection

For one it doesn’t sound like he did it very privately if he’s going public on social media. Secondly the club might see it as a conflict of interest - they want/need to be seen as opposing rascism and promoting equality and tolerance, and one of their coaches is publicly supporting a group promoting rascist ideas. I get what you’re saying but it’s not exactly sensible.
I think there are quite a few Tottenham fans that are in with that lot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom