Antwerp v Spurs (Thursday 29th October @ 17.55)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's realising that not even he can take the Spursy out of our DNA.

This is why Poch had to flog the likes of Harry to death, we simply don't have the quality to rest them even against Belgian farmers.
Asinine and patronising comment about a team that just made us look bang average across the majority of readily selectable players.
Makes you look like a fool.

I disagree
I don’t think he realised how bad some of our squad players like Aurier Sanchez and Winks are
He does now

Very true, but the wholesale team changes Mourinho made for the starting line-up smacked of arrogance. He underestimated the opposition and we paid a heavy price for it. Once Antwerp had gained confidence the 'horse had bolted' and no amount of substitutions was going to knock their confidence.

He thought he could beat Antwerp with a 'B' team. He was wrong. Hence I lay the blame squarely on him, not on his 2nd tier players. All they did was prove why they're not his first choice. God, they were bad.

We play Antwerp again on the 10th December. TIME FOR PAYBACK!

I don't think it's Mourinho's fault..if the second XI can't beat a team from the Belgian league then there is truly some dead weight in the squad who don't deserve to be wearing the jersey at all

Goodmorning everyone,

What a match it was last night for us, the players gave it all they had, our coach had b@lls putting up 1v1 marking defence, because we arent nearly as half skilled as the Spurs players. They really worked as a team, fighting for eachother and the coach, thats what we as fans want. Im not gonna come And gloat here because we took our 10 to 1 shot and won. Its just the beauty of football, everyone can beat anyone. Im pretty sure u guys will win the return, just a small hick up for the Spurs, not a big deal for you. For us it was like I said before one of THE games of the season, and our players acted like it. Still feels like somewhat like a hollow victory because if it wasnt for covid I woulda been in the stadium and probably still be in the café right now and not prepping for work. So as a fan its a weird feeling, we couldnt celebrate our cup win and now we cant celebrate our most famous win in recent history. It blows.

And also i seen comments here about Haroun (the 35yr old lol) in the beginning of the season he was tested as one of the top3 players of the league with the best endurance and he still is pretty fast to, hes bad at the last pass and finishing but he sprints from goal line to goal line like Husain Bolt lol and back. And our nr 4 Seck, believe it our not we bought him from a Saudi or Qatar team for 25.000€, and hes been a monster in defence, he had matches hes a one man army, not the finest of players but a No nonsense type a player.

Thank you all for the kind words for my team and the friendly hello I got here.

No man overboard for u guys, u will still easily qualify for the knock out stages and I hope u kill in the Prem! Dont let man shitty win the league pls. Have a great friday all! Belgian beers for all the lads and chocolates for your ladies!
Enjoy it mate , your team played well yesterday and hopefully things are back to normal soon so we can get back to coming across the Chanel and drinking all your beer!

Seriously?

So why have Mourinho as a manager if he offers no tactics, no innovation, if his only job is to pick good players anyone on here could do that job.
One defeat in 10 games, and everyone loses their shit!

Instantly forget the good results we've had of late and blamed Jose for the bad, but not praised him the good.

Grow up.

Goodmorning everyone,

What a match it was last night for us, the players gave it all they had, our coach had b@lls putting up 1v1 marking defence, because we arent nearly as half skilled as the Spurs players. They really worked as a team, fighting for eachother and the coach, thats what we as fans want. Im not gonna come And gloat here because we took our 10 to 1 shot and won. Its just the beauty of football, everyone can beat anyone. Im pretty sure u guys will win the return, just a small hick up for the Spurs, not a big deal for you. For us it was like I said before one of THE games of the season, and our players acted like it. Still feels like somewhat like a hollow victory because if it wasnt for covid I woulda been in the stadium and probably still be in the café right now and not prepping for work. So as a fan its a weird feeling, we couldnt celebrate our cup win and now we cant celebrate our most famous win in recent history. It blows.

And also i seen comments here about Haroun (the 35yr old lol) in the beginning of the season he was tested as one of the top3 players of the league with the best endurance and he still is pretty fast to, hes bad at the last pass and finishing but he sprints from goal line to goal line like Husain Bolt lol and back. And our nr 4 Seck, believe it our not we bought him from a Saudi or Qatar team for 25.000€, and hes been a monster in defence, he had matches hes a one man army, not the finest of players but a No nonsense type a player.

No man overboard for u guys, u will still easily qualify for the knock out stages and I hope u kill in the Prem! Dont let man shitty win the league pls. Have a great friday all! Belgian beers for all the lads and chocolates for your ladies!
Congrats mate. It was a bitterly disappointing match from our point, but that did certainly come down to how Antwerp were able to play as a team. Well drilled. Happy for you - in a sense. Stick around here, if ya want... just for the cunt-offs, if anything. There will always be some going on somewhere here.

Seldom does an opponent fan get anything like a warm welcome in these parts.

One poor game and the knives are out.

Talk about sense of entitlement.

I think people need to not see each game as a judgement.
This.

Just a bit disappointed that the likes of Winks, Davies, Dele, Bergwijn aren't up for these games. If they prove themselves, they surely get some minutes in the PL as well. But it was so poor from the four of them. Its not just these players of course.

And Antwerp did really well closing us down - the intensity from us just wasn't there.

Goodmorning everyone,

What do you think about Juklerød? Is he good enough for the PL? I think he looked really good, and our national coach Lagerbäck chose a player on the left that hadn't played a match for a year in our qualifier against Serbia. We really have some quality players like Ødegaard and Haaland, and up an coming youngsters like JP Hauge, Ajer, Berge and so on.

This.

Just a bit disappointed that the likes of Winks, Davies, Dele, Bergwijn aren't up for these games. If they prove themselves, they surely get some minutes in the PL as well. But it was so poor from the four of them. Its not just these players of course.

And Antwerp did really well closing us down - the intensity from us just wasn't there.

Intensity is a funny word. I see you excuse or omit Bale which is fine.

My view is players just need to play to their style but always seek to play well.

My disappointment with Alli is the lack of lung-busting runs/goal threat that epitomized him in his earlier time with us. And the bite. Just gone. Less about intensity and more about impact.

Same with all our players. Just do what you do but do it to your best. The whole team lacked in that regard, probably Moura apart in that regard.

I felt sorry for all who were hauled off at half-time because I thought it was too early but for me Lo Celso and Bale were the least effective. Vinicius looked busy so why drag him off and not have Son support him?

But one game and Antwep were more than decent and we will see one or two of them at least in the PL. A good side but one we will beat in the return game.......... I think..

My view is players just need to play to their style but always seek to play well.

My disappointment with Alli is the lack of lung busting runs that epitomized him in his earlier time with us. And the bite. Just gone. Less about intensity and more about impact.

Same with all our players. Just do what you do but do it to your best. The whole team lacked in that regard, probably Moura in that regard.

I felt sorry for all who were hauled off becayse I thought it was too early but for me Lo Celso and Bale wwre the least effective.

But one game and Antwep wwre decent and we will see one or two of them at least in the PL. A good side but one we will beat in the return game.......... I think..
I put Bergwijn at last, as he hasn't been here for too long so far. Excluded Bale and Lo Celso because I believe that both will show their worth in the coming months.

The other three have 580 games for us between them. Thats why I felt let down by them. They should be commanding the team. And these three, I think atleast, have been convincing nobody in the last few months.

Honestly no fcuking analysis needed.

We were not great but every ball in their box fell to them. Maybe desire.

Davies made a mistake. Nobody rectified it..

No big fcuking deal.

Mickey Mouse fcuking tournament anyway, apart from the treasure at the end.

Move on.
Agree totally, never heard of some of the teams in it. The league is our priority and all the media think we're well in with a chance !!!!!!

My disappointment with Alli is the lack of lung-busting runs/goal threat that epitomized him in his earlier time with us. And the bite. Just gone. Less about intensity and more about impact.

Same with all our players. Just do what you do but do it to your best. The whole team lacked in that regard, probably Moura apart in that regard.

I felt sorry for all who were hauled off at half-time because I thought it was too early but for me Lo Celso and Bale were the least effective. Vinicius looked busy so why drag him off and not have Son support him?

But one game and Antwep were more than decent and we will see one or two of them at least in the PL. A good side but one we will beat in the return game.......... I think..

I assume "intensity" encompasses that for most people/comments here anyway.......

Massively disappointed in this result, it was a poor show all round really.
No spark or ingenuity, we just kept running into a wall. We seem to lack any ideas when it comes to teams like this who put 10 men behind the ball to defend.
I think the subs were wrong too, I think Vinicìus and Lo Celso should have been kept on with Winks coming off.

There's still plenty of time to fix this though and hopefully we learn from it and thrash them in the return leg.

Last edited:
Very true, but the wholesale team changes Mourinho made for the starting line-up smacked of arrogance. He underestimated the opposition and we paid a heavy price for it. Once Antwerp had gained confidence the 'horse had bolted' and no amount of substitutions was going to knock their confidence.

He thought he could beat Antwerp with a 'B' team. He was wrong. Hence I lay the blame squarely on him, not on his 2nd tier players. All they did was prove why they're not his first choice. God, they were bad.

We play Antwerp again on the 10th December. TIME FOR PAYBACK!
Wasnt exactly a B team was it... all those players have started this season and are expected to beat antwerp let alone not lose to them, if we cant rely on those players to perform, then how the fuck are we meant to stop kane and son from injured if they have to play every game this season to bail out the rest of the team.

Asinine and patronising comment about a team that just made us look bang average across the majority of readily selectable players.
Makes you look like a fool.

That maybe, but its the truth though.
As Jose himself said in the post match presser last night, we are leagues above them and should be beating them comfortably, only way they can beat us is for us to not turn up, which is what happened on the night.
Most of the clubs in the Belgian league wouldn't cope in the Championship, sorry but that's just a fact.

They played well on the night and fair play to them, hope their fans and players enjoy it but lets get real.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom