Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem with Erikson was he got so overrated that he is now underrated. He was the youngest player in the 2010 World Cup and flew onto the scene in his teens there and at Ajax. Then everyone starts touting him to be the next great European player etc. Then he starts getting mentioned in moves Barcelona and Madrid and all other huge clubs while still only in his teens.

But since the hype is massive he never lived up to it despite the fact that in last two years he had 23 goals and 46 assists 99 appearances. In addition, he had a goal and 4 assists in 6 games in Champions league group with Manchester City, Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

Ultimately, he missed his hype window and then people start calling him overrated because he doesn't prove himself to be Messi by the age of 21. Once a couple person start saying it everyone mimics them and all the sudden he's overrated. But now he's been called overrated so many times that he's underrated.

So what do we end up with? Erikson is still the best player on three time reigning Eredivise champions and probably the best player in the league. He's 21 with significant World Cup and Champions League experience. He fits a position of need and is available for a manageable price. He comes from a league and team that has continually provided the EPL top players who translate well the league's style and pace. Furthermore, he's off to a blistering start this season with 2 goals and 3 assists in 4 appearances.

So yeah, he may be overrated in regards to the hype about him being Barcelona's next big signing or the best young player in Europe. But he seems like he would be a perfect fit for us.

Last edited:
559055_10151483252074404_1965796788_n.jpg

brokeback Tottenham :avbfacepalm:

Okay, this is getting tiring.

I have a question for the people banging the 'Eriksen is poor at the moment'-drum over and over: Do you actually watch the games, and if yes, do you keep an actual eye out for Eriksen, or do you just conclude at the end of the match that he wasn't in the spotlight that much, and was therefore, by default, poor?

As for the game yesterday: In the first half alone, he made two in-depth passes that created chances (one of them was an over-head pass with his back against goal). Furthermore, also in the first half, he had a perfect corner kick which Toby headed towards goal - the only reason that didn't become an assist for him was because of a brilliant save - go back to the match thread and see the reactions to that save, if you're in doubt.

In the second half, he created two more chances. One was a brilliant cross into the box which Kane took down with his chest. You don't see any other of our guys making passes like that.

As for the numbers.
2 PL goals. Not that impressive. However, Kane is firing, and only him + Dele Alli and Eric Dier have scored more goals than Eriksen. If 2 PL goals is critical, how about Lamela, Dembele, Son, N'Jie?

7 PL assists. More than double(!) of anyone else in the team. Top 10 in the PL. Speaks for itself.

Furthermore, look at the article from hibberni hibberni
Key passes per game: He has made more this season than in any other season for us.
Assists per game: More this season than any other season.
Tackles per game: More this season than any other season.

On top of that, he runs more than any other Spurs player.

Remember when he was out with a knee injury? We scored 2 goals in 3 games!!! In the 4th game where he was out, we hadn't scored yet - he then made his comeback around the 65th minute and instantly assisted the winning 1-0 goal against Palace.
How about in January, where he was the player in the whole PL who had secured the highest amount of points?

I'm not saying that he's been a world beater this season, and that you can't criticize him. But beating this stupid drum, and wanting him dropped for, say, Son, who's done nothing since returning from injury? That's far out.

We see this every year with Eriksen, he's the most overworked player in our squad almost every year, it's between him and Kane most years for minutes clocked (no coincidence our two most important players) and playing the role Eriksen plays, he cover more ground, sees more ball and has much more responsibility on his shoulders than any other player. Every game I see the distance covered stats for our games, Eriksen is invariably the one who's covered the most, and it's not just mindless Adamants Traore type running with him is it, he's aways thinking and moving intelligently.

Add to that he's had no break last summer, carried his countries hopes on his shoulders at the WC, and that we as a team are in a fucking horrible funk, Alli and Kane (the two other intelligent players) out, it's hardly surprising he hasn't shone of late.

With other players, Son, Moura, Lamela, Alli etc, even Kane, when they are having dips in form they are next to fucking useless, when Eriksen's form dips he's still covering the ground, still getting through 50 passes a game and trying to do something vaguely intelligent. Still brings something useful.

No, he's never going to be the bravest in a tackle. But he presses better than Sissoko (fact - just check the statsbomb metrics) he still tackles the same as Sissoko and Winks, Lamela, Alderweireld, per game.

I don t see Ericksens behaviour as betrayal or stabbing us in the back. He has given everything for 5 years while earning probably 40% of what he could earn at an other place, certainly 50% of what he deserved. How long would you have stayed at your company when you could earn double your monthly salary somewhere else?
Levy has done exeptionaly well for this club, but we have to realize he s burned many bridges on his path. How much loyality would you show your boss, when he keeps stringing you along for higher salaries, while penny pinching every cent you get and then makes himself the highest paied chairman in the league?
I ve come to realize a footballers goal is to win trophies and earn as much as he can in the short career that they have. We have not provided any of it to our players. We talk about loyality to the club but how many of us are jumping on a players back as soon as soon as he says something dodgy in the press, play a bad game or in this case when he announces, he s looking to change club to acchieve some of his life goals. Even when they are as influential players like Ericksen and have been a major part in our sucess over the last years and one of the main reasons for us to over acchieve year after year.
I ll miss Ericksen dearly but I don t blame him if he leaves us on a free. Keep playing him till Ndombele, Lamela or LoCelso are ready to step up as playmakers and prepare us for next season when some of our key players will be gone.
I want Pocchetino to stay, I ve never enjoyed watching us play more then the past few years under his reign. I want him to guide us through this transition. Because if I demand loyality from someone else, I ll give it to anyone who s made me so proud to be a tottenham supporter.

Last edited:
He just looks sad when he plays. Like an unwanted teddy bear. Something’s broken him.
He seemed to have a plan for his entire life and the end goal was always to be a Barca/Real Madrid player. That was the goal. He's realized now that he won't be achieving it, probably ever. Everything he's been working towards the last 15 years, his ultimate purpose, is something now he may never achieve. That's got to weigh on a person.
Boo hoo, diddums, my heart bleeds for him!
Sorry I have no sympathy for him. So, things didn't quite plan out the way he wanted, well that's life sunshine, deal with it. He could have left in the right way, but nearly every Spurs supporter I know are completely fed up with his antics and can't wait for him to sling his hook. What a sad ending to what could have been such a different story.

Now posh will get a great job in a big club and the first thing he will do is signing Eriksen and this great club will struggle the next couple of years. Wait and see. just plain stupid and a pity for us who love Tottenham.

"Us who love Tottenham" ?? :roflmao: :roflmao: Once Eriksen leaves you'll disappear like a rat up a drainpipe....
You have had 19 posts in here since joining and they were all in the one thread....this one. Says it all. Your very first posting ended with this sentence...
"So offer him as much as Kane and hope that Barcelona won't show up."

Well we didn't and they didn't ......

Last edited:
Dear THFC fans.

I have been following this forum for some time - but this is my first and last post.
I am obviously Danish, and have been a THFC supporter since Allan Nielsen played at the club - and as you all know THFC has been pretty mediocre through most of that time.

How can you be surpriced that CE doesnt do well when he is used as a defensive midfielder? How would you imagine Kane would do if he was told to play as a safety player against Liverpool? I am pretty sure he would do miserably.

How about showing CE some respect as the key player in THFCs succes through the last 4 years?

When the club decided NOT to invest in new quality players this summer, fire Potechino and hire a manager like Mourinho it basically forced CE to leave the club - and now he has - how could it be any different?

I expect that you fear the decline of THFC - so do I - unfortunately recent decisions by the board of THFC (the termination of Potechinos contract and the lack of investmint in players) only point in one direction - down...

This, however, is NOT CE fault - he has worked his ass off for the club the past six years and deserves respect -so please stop this pathetic assault on CEs legacy - its a disgrace...

The only possible reason I can come up with for why someone would want him back at this point is purely nostalgia. He has moved on and so have we. I have no idea what he would offer us now and how he fits into the team.

Was it really a cardiac arrest?

Amazing that could happen to a player who has been so fit and healthy. Fingers crossed he could play on.
Whilst sat there helpless watching Muamba collapse at White Hart Lane it dawned on me I knew fuck all about heart attacks and cardiac arrests, in fact, I didn't even know they were two different things!!

I now carry something like this in my wallet on a card (just google it and there are loads you can download) every day just in case if ever I was confronted with that situation I want to be able to do something other than standing and watch in panic.

heart_attack_versus_cardiac_arrest_difference_between_infographic.ashx

I had everyone, including myself at my company go on a course about CPR. I've absolutely no idea if all this would make the difference, I hope that I'll never get to try it out but I feel a tiny bit more confident that at the very least I might.

Back
Top Bottom