Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People spout off about giving people time, letting them settle. Then come November those very same people rip into a player who works his bollocks off.

This has gone beyond the "Will he come good/bad" point and is simply disrespectful now and a bit pathetic.

• Janssen joins the club. He's told he'll be bedded in slowly.
  • He starts to get game time. He's told he'll be up top along side Kane.
  • Kane gets injured. You're now thrown in the deep end, despite only having 2 years of professional experience.
  • You play well.
  • You don't start the next game. Son does. Confidence is damaged.
  • You play well again.
  • You don't start the next game. Kane does. Confidence is damaged.
People expect him to go from 0-100 in what, 2-3 months when he's had international duty interrupting that play time too? International duty where he was the best player on the pitch and played well? No one can look at that situation and reasonably say "Yeah, he's been through all that but I expect him to get 30 goals".

People need to define what they expect from Janssen. I expect 10-15 goals this season. I think the constant games in December will be a blessing for him, allow him to get game time and he'll start scoring from December-January on. He's got 3 goals and he's well on his way to achieving this. I couldn't give a shit how they were scored - many of Eriksens goals are free kicks.

Did people really think at this point of the season he'd have 9-10 goals? If so, read this list

Aguero - 14 goals
Diego Costa - 9 goals
Sanchez - 8 goals
Lukaku - 7 goals

Do you really think he's at that level? Of course he's not. I'll give people a stat - Out of the top 25 top premier league goal scorers right now, only 1 of them is new to the league. Ibra. The rest are already established here. This shows how important it is that people are given time and that adapting is difficult.

Disagree? Di Maria. From world class to 4 goals in the English premier League. He couldn't handle it and he left for an easy life in France. People don't understand how difficult the League is compared to other places.

You don't think he's shit because he plays bad. You think he's shit because you expect him to be Harry Kane.

Fair play.

Came off the bench and his strength caused a lot of problems for them, which is surprising as you'd expect them to be able to deal with that sort of style being in League Two. Won the penalty with a brilliant turn and his pass for Son for the winning goal was perfect. Only shame was that his header didn't go in, because a winner from Janssen would have been great.

Hope he has gained a whole deal of confidence from this. He's always been a hard worker and he DOES offer us something different, just needs to be a striker, aim to get on the end of things and it'll come.

You just know the media are going to be saying "He still hasn't scored from open play in the premier league yet." Bastards.
Give it a week. Big Vinny looked fired up after than first goal, and perhaps his mentality is just right to turn the corner.

If he does get to start against Southampton (though you'd think that'll be Son leading the line given Poch's previous choices) then it's a massive chance to now kick on.

Really lovely seeing how all the other players reacted to his goal. Our lads are the best.

I thought it was clever management from Poch. When Kane went off he had to ask himself 'who's going to influence the game more - Janssen or Eriksen?'.

He made the right decision, and as a result Vinny got his chance with no pressure attached.

He is still young, I don't know why so many have written him off completely. I would love to see him turn things around. If Sissoko can do it, anyone can!

HE'S BAAAAAAAAAAACK

giphy.gif

Jan's face in this video will never fail to make me laugh.
:vert:

I always worry about strikers coming from the Dutch league. There seems to have been so many flops from what I can remember.

I am currently sitting in hospital watching over my new baby girl who has been born this morning. Today is a good day and would be made even better with a decent signing!

:freundgoal:

Congrats! My partner is due next week but we're in and out of hospital at the moment! This could be a brilliant month!

Saw this posted on reddit... always nice to hear the opinion of someone who has watched a lot more of a player than we have.

He is without any doubt coming to you.

I have been following and writing about Dutch football and Eredivisie since 2003. Ive learnt to see who will succeed and who will fail abroad. Janssen (unlike Promes, that you were also looking at) is made for the Premier League. This is not a player that lives on utilizing mistakes, like Kezman or van Wolfswinkel and it is not someone who dominates through his superor technique like Afonso, or pure physical strenghts like Luuk de Jong.

You might get the same reactions as when Liverpool signed Luis Suarez, "lololol is it the new Ryan Babel??? HUNTELAAR? AFONSO???". Its not. He might never become the same level as Suarez, but he is complete as a footballer which is what it takes to play in a PL top team.

He is a Kluivert, van Hooijdonk or Hasselbaink type of player. Powerful, can score both with his feet and in the air, great target player and most important of all, both according to PL standards and the wise teachings of Cruijff: Vincent Janssen does not need to be provided space, he will create it himself.

It is a phenomenal signing. This first season, he will be excellent as a "pinchhitter" in your team, and since he shows exactly no signs of the pretty common Dutch complacency, I am certain that in a year he will be able to compete with Kane for the starting spot or force the manager to play with two forwards.

As someone who kind of likes Woolwich in the PL, it almost makes me sad seeing him get picked up by Spurs. Happy for AZ as well. They cannot afford not to sell him and with less competition they would have needed to accept a bid for half the sum. But £20m is still a bargain, there is a striker crisis going on in football as everyone wants be a winger or false nine and out of everything realistically available on the market, I see no better choice.

Cover for Toby.
Wimmer and Davies both cover Vertonghen.
Dier is right footed and can provide cover for Toby, so Wanyama definitely helps. If we have a young CB they think can step up then that would be enough.
I agree with AussieYiddo though, good quality cover there would be very useful. Martin Skrtel for 5.5 million might have been worth a shout.

Martin fucking Skrtel??!!? Gtfo!

Look at Son...he was piss last year but now he's hit his groove, he's becoming indispensable.
The lad needs time on the pitch to find his feet in a new country with a new team. That's why his age is relevant. He's not got extensive experience & no experience outside of the Dutch league. He doesn't hide at all & put in a shift IMO. The goals will come.

Are people still stupid enough to be questioning a 22 year old foreigner in his first few months in this league? Seriously?

Whether he has it or not, we'all not find out for a good while yet.

So, I think we need to give Vinnie time.
Only a fool would ignore the form he showed at AZ.
Last season he started slowly, but ended with 27 goals in 34 appearances.
Don't forget he's very young, and has plenty of growth in him yet.
All players need time to settle, and it's a big shift from the Eredivisie to the Premier League.
Dutch football isn't quite at the same level, but Poch clearly sees something in him, and so do I.
One goal from open play, maybe tonight, and he'll be fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom