Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh no, not another pun-war!

(I just get annoyed because I can never think of any!)

Hey Big Spencer!!!!
Shirley Bassey GIF by BAFTA

Well i went viral with that tweet and pic 😂😂😂 posted it on Twitter and got mentions by Lyall, Sky sports, Paul O’Keef and Fabrizio Romano. Think i got about 1000 new followers in 5 mins. My brother got the pic. Not sure who from, but he knows a few people up at Spurs. Gets the odd bits now and then
You're basically more ITK than Hercules at this point.

Agree - no reason to think Sess is the long-term LWB option.

Players don't just suddenly become skillful or pacey and able to beat their man.
He is what he is, a steady eddy. But maybe he can be our next Ben Davies and be a solid contributor to the squad for many years and that's fine too.

I think this season is a turning point for him at Spurs - injured most of first season, loaned out 2nd season to Germany doing 'alright' and even 'well' there, involved sporadically last season. Hopefully he takes advantage of Persic as a role model

True, which only shows how far down the order Spence is.
I think, as we’re seeing with a Bissouma, Conte takes so much into consideration when deciding whether to play someone. Skipp is fit and performed well last season, he’s not getting a sniff either. It goes so much deeper than the old ‘throw them in at the deep end and see how they cope’ or ‘well they can’t be any worse than the current choices’ policy that saw the likes of Lennon, Bale, Dele or even Walker get their chances quickly. Even Kane to an extent.

I think with Spence, and hopefully this season, he needs to tick more than the ‘good ability, physically ready’ box when Conte has several options that, while imperfect, he trusts. Spence will need to sow the right attitude, the ability to apply instructions, the fitness levels, maybe even something like the right off field relationships with his teammates, and who knows what else, before he is trusted by Conte.

I often compare winning a starting spot in a football team to getting a point decision as a challenger in a boxing or mma fight. You can’t just be a little better than the champion to get the decision, you have to be obviously better. Spence will get minutes only when Conte feels he is obviously the best option.

I have not posted because I was actually at that shit show. I've been waiting till my rage abated. It could be weeks so here I am. I'm not going to lie to you lads, the last 23 mins of that game will stay with me for a long time. In a word I felt one thing. HUMILIATION.

It was in some ways worse than the Nuno game there because that was emblematic of a man out of his depth. Saturday was worse because even if the plan our manager wanted to execute had worked....it was frankly cowardly.

I'm sure we will be fine and everything but I'm already at the point of do the ends justify the means? Keith Burkinshaw Martin Jol, Harry Redknapp, Pochettino. The idea of DNA maybe bull shit but these men made me love my club. I'm not sure I can just sacrifice that . Goodnight all.

So it is 3rd of November.

And list of players who have been used ahead of Spence in RWB position are -
Emerson Royal
Matt Doherty
Ivan Perisic
Ryan Sessegnon
Lucas Moura

Spence himself has got less than 10 minutes of playing time.

You can think of him and his readyness what you will. But this is not good squad management nor respectable behavior towards your player.
If you know you'd rather use 5 different players (incl playing 3 of them out of their normal position) ahead of him, then why not send him out on loan?

I think there’s a bit of confirmation bias at play here, as we’re all desperate for him to do well.

He comes alive with the ball at his feet, he he’s quite passive off the ball. I don’t get the impression that he’s entirely comfortable when he needs to press his man, and there’s a touch of the TAA’s about him in terms of positional awareness.

Still doesn’t excuse his lack of play for us, but I can see why Conte might not trust him. Emerson commands his area far better. He’s just an absolute clown when he passes the halfway line.
Conte’s system is predicated on creative attacking wing backs, it always has been. Royal can’t do shit going forward and it makes half the field a dead zone for us.

Perisic doesn’t control his area, he’s an awful defender who has cost us regular this year. You accept that because he’s good going forward.

Spence is by far the best fit to play Conte’s system and unlike Emerson he’s actually familiar playing wingback. The only reason Spence hasn’t played this season is because Conte is pissy he didn’t get whoever his first choice option was and he judged the lad before Spence ever stepped on the training pitch.

Conte threw his toys out of the pram and it’s obviously cost us. It’s not like playing Emerson has made us solid at the back. We’re 13th in the league in goals conceded, the defense is a shambles.

This is what I will never get with the attitude of players like him. All that hard work when he was younger to get where he is now and he throws it away because of attitude and probably thinking he's made it. Surely if you have more than two braincells to rub together you realise, I'm on the gravy train already, just keep going, put the effort in and I'll be paid even more money. It makes little sense to me.
I remember when i was 18 and started earning £70 a day on a building site, thought i was billy big bollox with my £350 a week, going to Spurs Games with my Stone Island and some cheeky narcotics, fuck knows what i would have been like on £25K a week! :nawty:

It just started raining here for the first time in a couple months so I'll put on the full match replay and see how he went and report back.

2 mins - Sal win the ball in their own half with DS up field. You can see he just starts to walk and then gets a wriggle on to track back. Sadly couldnt prevent the goal but he did try.

6 mins - DS is playing as LB in what looks like a flat back 4, but didn't mind going on a long run down the wing but eventually got tackled.

13 mins - DS is playing much further up the pitch (I assume on direction) and starts off a move that culminates in a goal. 1-1 Our way.

14 mins - Ref takes what looks like a chunk of concrete off the pitch that was thrown at the celebrating players. Hopefully not at our boy.

20 mins - DS playing left midfield now as Genoa move to a back three. He was put through for a chance inside the box off to a side and opted for a cross that was blocked rather than a shot. Was the right choice but didn't pay off. So far he is calling for the ball constantly which is good to see.

27 mins - Genoa send everybody up for a corner except DS who is the lone defender. Ends up cleaning up a loose ball confidently.

30 mins - Moved to RB

36 mins - Back to LB. Confident defensive clearance\

47 mins - Tracks back at full tit at the same time as marking his man to put pressure on a winger getting a cross it that does enough to put him off. Is then part of a counter attack which see's his low cross blocked. Unselfish again.

55 mins - moved to RW

57 mins - Genoa lead with a pen. DS not involved but was making himself available. Looks unfit which is to be expected.

60 mins - Back to LB. This manager isn't fucking about with his changes.

67 mins - DS won the ball high up the pitch to start a move which his mate had a cross put out for a corner.

80 mins - Genoa just strolling about here now. Sal have nothing other than hoofing it.

Finito la musica. Djed overall did pretty well considering he played the full match with a bunch of strangers. He did get tired but to be fair the rest of his team just relaxed in the second half. I'd say it was an average to good performance. He didn't stick out as good or bad. Just did what he had to do. I think he did enough to earn a start next match.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom